• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audeze LCD-5 Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Audeze caps off a productive 2021 with the LCD-5, its hotly anticipated new flagship. The LCD-5 is a genuine contender for the best headphones in the world because of unfathomable detail retrieval and an accurate sound signature, which makes it a favorite among award-winning music artists and audiophiles who want the best!

Show full review

A good review, my lens-carrying fella! I see you are taking notes! You may have some potential after all.

As for the earphones - meh! I can get a pair of Stax' for the same ammount of cash!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
A good review, my lens-carrying fella! I see you are taking notes! You may have some potential after all.

As for the earphones - meh! I can get a pair of Stax' for the same ammount of cash!

I have no electrostat experience yet, but hopefully that will be rectified sooner than later!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I hope you do! It's the ultimate eargasm!
Thanks for the recommendation, any particular model you found particularly delightful? What about the energizer itself?

Miiksuli

Thanks for the recommendation, any particular model you found particularly delightful? What about the energizer itself?
I just had to register and say this I would try some cheaper models first. We have some good estats available around the world but unfortunately some are made in the Russian so I would not myself buy them. Amp&energizer are quite expensive. You can get some in second hand around 500$ that will perform almost as well as in the current production models.

>500$
Koss x Drop ESP/95X
Nectarsound Nectar Hive (need amp&energizer). Some say this is better than the cheapest line of the Stax. This is handmade by one person.

1k$
Koss ESP950 (included amp&enerziser)
Stax SRS-3100 (included amp&enerziser)

2.5k$+
Stax SR-007MK2

4k+
Audeze CRBN
Stax SR-009S and more expensive SR-X9000 over 6k$. Btw this is Stax new flagship and need hefty of money in pocket :)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I just had to register and say this I would try some cheaper models first. We have some good estats available around the world but unfortunately some are made in the Russian so I would not myself buy them. Amp&energizer are quite expensive. You can get some in second hand around 500$ that will perform almost as well as in the current production models.

>500$
Koss x Drop ESP/95X
Nectarsound Nectar Hive (need amp&energizer). Some say this is better than the cheapest line of the Stax. This is handmade by one person.

1k$
Koss ESP950 (included amp&enerziser)
Stax SRS-3100 (included amp&enerziser)

2.5k$+
Stax SR-007MK2

4k+
Audeze CRBN
Stax SR-009S and more expensive SR-X9000 over 6k$. Btw this is Stax new flagship and need hefty of money in pocket :)
Thank you for taking the time to register, and I hope you stick around. Most importantly, I appreciate your feedback here since I may have a chance to try out some e-stats, and I am familiar with some of the ones you've mentioned, but I have to find an amp/energizer first on my own wallet. So I need to make sure it's future-proof and a good reference set in general.

I'll also see if the local audio store has any/many e-stats to try out, I imagine they'll have some Stax models for sure.

Miiksuli

Thank you for taking the time to register, and I hope you stick around. Most importantly, I appreciate your feedback here since I may have a chance to try out some e-stats, and I am familiar with some of the ones you've mentioned, but I have to find an amp/energizer first on my own wallet. So I need to make sure it's future-proof and a good reference set in general.

I'll also see if the local audio store has any/many e-stats to try out, I imagine they'll have some Stax models for sure.
I have been lurking for some time now. I have only listened to one e-stat and that is the Nectar Hive. But I would myself have more if I would have more money. There are solid state and tube amplifiers for the e-stats. Also pure energiser too, like Ifi Pro iESL but they are rare and not current production anymore. This setup costs you a lot more but you can use any speaker amplifier and there are very good ones.

Edit. Corrected triode=solid state

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have been lurking for some time now. I have only listened to one e-stat and that is the Nectar Hive. But I would myself have more if I would have more money. There are triode and tube amplifiers for the e-stats. Also pure energiser too, like Ifi Pro iESL but they are rare and not current production anymore. This setup costs you a lot more but you can use any speaker amplifier and there are very good ones.
Yeah, lots to think about. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
the STAX SR-009 + SRM-T8000 combo is absolutely beautiful
but i still prefer the SR-007 + SRM-007tII for its warmth and lush vocals

another good performer is the Koss ESP-950, i loved it when i auditioned it a few years back

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

another good performer is the Koss ESP-950, i loved it when i auditioned it a few years back
Thank you, let me contact Stax and see if there's anything we can work out together. Nothing to lose by trying!

I was thinking of the SR-007, too. There are some subtle differences between the Mk.1 and Mk.2

As for the energizer, you'd need something north of $2-3k. I recommend Stax' own energizers if you are on a budget.

Thank you, let me contact Stax and see if there's anything we can work out together. Nothing to lose by trying!
Make sure you ask for their upcoming model, although some say these are unicorns, because the preorder queues are way too long.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I was thinking of the SR-007, too. There are some subtle differences between the Mk.1 and Mk.2

As for the energizer, you'd need something north of $2-3k. I recommend Stax' own energizers if you are on a budget.

Make sure you ask for their upcoming model, although some say these are unicorns, because the preorder queues are way too long.
All I could do is send a message via the contact form on the website, so let's see. I am not expecting to get my hands on the SR-X9000 anytime soon.

All I could do is send a message via the contact form on the website, so let's see. I am not expecting to get my hands on the SR-X9000 anytime soon.
Understandable. I too am having indecent thoughts about them. :D Who am I kidding, I already preodered!

Here is the thing though, @Miiksuli gave us all an excellent idea - try the Nectar's Hive!
I've only heard about them but they seem to be offering quite the run for their money! Maybe the guy who is hand-making them will be kind enough to send you a pair for a review? I think it would be win-win-win situation.

But beware - to me electrostats are the only thing that can (remotely) resemble full-sized speakers and a room with tuned acoustics! Reviewing them is no easy task. Are you up for it?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Understandable. I too am having indecent thoughts about them. :D Who am I kidding, I already preodered!

Here is the thing though, @Miiksuli gave us all an excellent idea - try the Nectar's Hive!
I've only heard about them but they seem to be offering quite the run for their money! Maybe the guy who is hand-making them will be kind enough to send you a pair for a review? I think it would be win-win-win situation.

But beware - to me electrostats are the only thing that can (remotely) resemble full-sized speakers and a room with tuned acoustics! Reviewing them is no easy task. Are you up for it?
Only one way to find out! I've emailed the Nectar Hive (now HiveX) guy to see what can be done as well.

Miiksuli

What annoys me is that Stax does not offer adjustable bias voltage. It has quite a big role with harmonics and tonality. With Pro iESL I can adjust it 500~640V. You don't know what you miss when you have not experienced it.

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
What annoys me is that Stax does not offer adjustable bias voltage. It has quite a big role with harmonics and tonality. With Pro iESL I can adjust it 500~640V. You don't know what you miss when you have not experienced it.
i have never seen (at least locally) an electrostat energizer that has adjustable bias voltage.
one of my friend show me the Blue Hawaii SE, and i dont think it has adjustable bias voltage

sounds very good paired to the SR-009

the other electrostat ive tried is the Orpheus, spend a day listening to it.
ears are blessed

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
i have never seen (at least locally) an electrostat energizer that has adjustable bias voltage.
one of my friend show me the Blue Hawaii SE, and i dont think it has adjustable bias voltage

sounds very good paired to the SR-009

the other electrostat ive tried is the Orpheus, spend a day listening to it.
ears are blessed
That's right, you reminded me of the time Sennheiser had the HE-1 at CES and most people were interested in the new Ambeo soundbar instead. So I quite enjoyed listening to the HE-1 and the HD 820 without being rushed.

lukay252

Amazing review! Unrelated to the LCD-5, but I saw your Audeze-XC review and I was tempted into buying one. My usage would be just listening to music. None of mixing or mastering that kind of stuff. I was sort of looking for a closed-back specifically (for isolation) but perusing the internet seems to suggest that the open-back LCD-X (2021 ver. of course) is the better choice. Apparently XC is too analytical and X is musical. Do you agree with the statement? Also, your headphone reviews are so well covered as well as technical and your stance on EQ really opened my eyes about the whole thing.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Amazing review! Unrelated to the LCD-5, but I saw your Audeze-XC review and I was tempted into buying one. My usage would be just listening to music. None of mixing or mastering that kind of stuff. I was sort of looking for a closed-back specifically (for isolation) but perusing the internet seems to suggest that the open-back LCD-X (2021 ver. of course) is the better choice. Apparently XC is too analytical and X is musical. Do you agree with the statement? Also, your headphone reviews are so well covered as well as technical and your stance on EQ really opened my eyes about the whole thing.
Thank you for the kind words, and I am so glad you are open to using EQ! I can't speak to the previous iterations, but the recent updates make the LCD-XC more musical than analytical compared to the LCD-X. If anything, it is a bit bright for some who may be treble-sensitive.