• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 10: Kailh BOX V2 Switches, Akko MOD 003 Gasket Kit, Epomaker Sonic PBT Keycaps

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Time to build another keyboard. This time around, we pair a premium CNC-machined gasket mount kit from Akko in a fascinating Jade Green color with matching PBT keycaps from Epomaker, and go through all three of Kailh's brand-new BOX V2 switches aiming to be the new go-to for custom keyboard makers and enthusiasts alike.

Show full review

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I've started looking into keyboards again, as my 10 years old Logitech G710+ doesn't have eternal life either. But it seems really hard to find one with the same QWERTY ISO US International layout. I don't want a left shift with stabilizer and i need a € sign as well.

Though i may keep an eye on the Mountain Everest, since it's modular and has the option for silent reds. And they have a QWERTY ISO UK layout, which should be fine as well. Just have to get used to the different locations of # and @ then.

Reactions: VSG
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I've started looking into keyboards again, as my 10 years old Logitech G710+ doesn't have eternal life either. But it seems really hard to find one with the same QWERTY ISO US International layout. I don't want a left shift with stabilizer and i need a € sign as well.

Though i may keep an eye on the Mountain Everest, since it's modular and has the option for silent reds. And they have a QWERTY ISO UK layout, which should be fine as well. Just have to get used to the different locations of # and @ then.
Luckily here we get by with R ALT+U for € sign.

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Not sure about $170~190 for a barebones with plate mounted stabilizers, north facing LEDs and probably very little flex given there is no USB-C daughterboard. Plus no QMK/VIA support so you'd have to rely on AKKO's software (which is quite poor in my experience). The upcoming Keychron Q5 is going to be a much better option from every point of view in my opinion and probably be priced the same.
Would be nice if AKKO released a polycarbonate kit with QMK/VIA support or at least worked on their drivers because they were abysmal when I tried them last (I presume they don't even make them since it was the same OEM driver other YiChip MCU based budget boards had).

Also as a suggestion, please start doing latency tests for keyboards, similar to what rtings is doing. I think it's the only thing your keyboard related reviews lack currently, otherwise great reviews as always.