• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XMG NEO 15 E22 Laptop (i7-12700H/RTX 3080 Ti) + OASIS External Liquid Cooling System

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
XMG has been making waves in the enthusiast laptop community with its highly configurable gaming laptops offering good value for money. Today, we examine the NEO 15 (E22) fitted with the Intel Core i7-12700H and NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI, and pair it up with the novel XMG OASIS external watercooling system, too!

Show full review

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Lovelace and Meteor Lake are going to kill the high-end laptop market.

We're already beyond the point of "reasonable" power draw with high end Ampere and Alder Lake. Both successors are likely to increase this by 50% or more which will change things from "unreasonable" to "ridiculously stupid".

Edit:
Another thought on this - how is a watercooling system for an internal GPU any better than an eGPU in a dock? Once disconnected, the laptop is restricted in its capabilities either way but with an eGPU at least you can have a laptop that's relatively thin and portable with long battery life - something that's impossible if you're carrying around all of the heatsink and power delivery for a hungry desktop CPU and 3080Ti.

Moving the cooling system to the dock just means that when you do actually need portability you're forced to carry around a chunky plastic laptop with parts that have high power draw and are unsuitable or at least a poor choice for running off the battery in the first place. The air-cooling abilities of the laptop are somewhat compromised by the addition of (now non-functional) watercooling hardware. The double-stacked pipes in the cooling system (water pipe on top of heatpipe) mandates extra-flat, less effective heatpipes in the first place, and strictly rules out the option of a slimmer, lighter device.

Last edited:

We're already beyond the point of "reasonable" power draw with high end Ampere and Alder Lake. Both successors are likely to increase this by 50% or more which will change things from "unreasonable" to "ridiculously stupid".
Lovelace perhaps at least as far as having close to top end desktop chips in laptops, but why Meteor Lake? If everything goes well, it will come out on the Intel 4 process node which is better than anything out today.

VEGGIM

Edit:
Another thought on this - how is a watercooling system for an internal GPU any better than an eGPU in a dock? Once disconnected, the laptop is restricted in its capabilities either way but with an eGPU at least you can have a laptop that's relatively thin and portable with long battery life - something that's impossible if you're carrying around all of the heatsink and power delivery for a hungry desktop CPU and 3080Ti.

Moving the cooling system to the dock just means that when you do actually need portability you're forced to carry around a chunky plastic laptop with parts that have high power draw and are unsuitable or at least a poor choice for running off the battery in the first place. The air-cooling abilities of the laptop are somewhat compromised by the addition of (now non-functional) watercooling hardware. The double-stacked pipes in the cooling system (water pipe on top of heatpipe) mandates extra-flat, less effective heatpipes in the first place, and strictly rules out the option of a slimmer, lighter device.
Due to how egpu's have bandwith issues and even with some laptops driver issues. They can also be expensive. It's only worth if you already end up owning a GPU. They work well for 100% GPU loads but start to fail when CPU workloads also get involved.

Reactions: VSG
The Oasis WC loop looks great, if only there were more laptops with these connections, Oasis would sell a bunch o closed loops :D

Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 1TB Samsung 860Evo,2*2tb Samsung 970Evo Plus, 1tb Intel 660p nvme
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
One day we will need a mora 420 to cool a laptop.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
no game performance test for a gaming laptop?
No relevant laptops here to test against for context so I decided to just use game performance to test relative performance of various modes in pages 8 and 12.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Lovelace perhaps at least as far as having close to top end desktop chips in laptops, but why Meteor Lake? If everything goes well, it will come out on the Intel 4 process node which is better than anything out today.
Because Intel.
They're not afraid to push whatever they make to 350W, regardless of process node. Intel 10 7 is significantly more efficient than Intel 14nm but Alder Lake on '7' still uses way more power than Rocket Lake on 14.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
guys any idea how the cpuz test gets over 1k ? my 12900ks only gets 870! DDR4 maybe to blame :D
This is a review thread, not for troubleshooting. Please create a new thread in the appropriate section ;)