• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer DeathStalker V2 Pro Low Profile Wireless Optical Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Razer takes inspiration from its past and brings out a new flagship keyboard series in the form of the DeathStalker V2. Today we examine the DeathStalker V2 Pro that is a low profile optical keyboard with three connectivity modes, excellent software and hardware customization, good build quality, and long battery life paired with fast wireless usage too.

Show full review

Right here, right now, unlike your deadbeat carcus
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Just curious why practically every product rasserio makes uses the "Death" moniker... ?

Someone in their upper mgmt or marketing dept must be obsessed with the afterlife, the zombie apocalypse or the end of the world or wtf.....

Regardless, this thing is sooooo overpriced for what you get IMHO.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Clearly meant to compete with Logitech's G913/G915. Can they really not get PBT keycaps at this price point though?
Could be simply a budget issue after the new switches were developed and paid for, but yeah.. At least it's a standard key spacing throughout!

Not a fan of those pouch Li-ion batteries which are non user replaceable. If only one of these manufacturer started using user replaceable round Li-Ion batteries.

Reactions: Jun

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Not a fan of those pouch Li-ion batteries which are non user replaceable. If only one of these manufacturer started using user replaceable round Li-Ion batteries.
I feel like that's also a form factor and capacity issue in addition to monetary.

I feel like that's also a form factor and capacity issue in addition to monetary.
given thickness of this keyboard is 27mm, it should be possible to accommodate 18650(or 18700) sized cells if not larger 21700(or 20700) cells which could leave option for users to replace them towards end of life. Compared to proprietary pouch battery these cells will be cheaper and do offer decent capacity to begin with.

Reactions: Jun

Hxx

imagine paying $250 for a keyboard that can't be modified, has no hotswap functionality, comes with below average caps and stabs, proprietary switches, and partially made of plastic. and ofc relies on software to perform various functions. What a great combo. I don't think Razer is trying anymore. They threw in the towel awhile ago probably because whoever likes Razer will buy their junk regardless of features and price.

Last edited:
Could be simply a budget issue after the new switches were developed and paid for, but yeah.. At least it's a standard key spacing throughout!
Considering those look to be the same (or nearly) switches Keychron has been using for quite some time with several variants, I dont think there was any R&D money involved. Same stabs too.

Makes the price of this thing even more ridiculous. since those are under $100

imagine paying $250 for a keyboard that can't be modified, has no hotswap functionality, comes with below average caps and stabs, proprietary switches, and partially made of plastic. and ofc relies on software to perform various functions. What a great combo. I don't think Razer is trying anymore. They threw in the towel awhile ago probably because whoever likes Razer will buy their junk regardless of features and price.

A good set of keycaps is well over 100 bucks to start with. Those cheapo ones suck if you try the real thing. Hell a GMK ABS keycap set will spank a sub 100 PBT keycap set. I do agree in concept with you though, you can get a DECK keyboard (a company that makes government gear) with your pick of lighting, PBT, your pick of switches for sub 150 now. And if you want to go "low cost build it" you can get a cap set and keyboard for the same 250 that doesn't come with Razers bullshit. Going higher end a keyboard can run you 500 before you hit custom keycaps.

Thing is though at a certain point we hit the eco system issue. If you've already bought into Razer (and say what you will the Deathadder mouse is still one of the best out there) then it makes sense to shove all your crap under the same driver suite. Steelseries and logitech play the same silly game. There is a way out of this. Buying a driverless keyboard and dumping into a Microsoft Pro mouse and dumping into driverless sound. I have this on one box and it's flawless, cost in cost though it wasn't any cheaper than the all Steelseries set next to me right now.

Neither Razer, nor logitechs, nor steelseries shit is bad though. They get hits and misses, but they all flop on their face with heavy drivers and running multiple of them is just obnoxious. All that said the full Steelseries stack I have (mousepad, mouse, keyboard, headset, dac) does what it should as a gaming device. I'd be hard pressed to call it better than the deck keyboard, ms pro mouse, schitt stack, sennheiser configuration I also have. Once you are in, you're in.

I also wouldn't thrash Razer all that much. They have a full product stack and it's not bad. They are clearly by design, price, and lifestyle trying to become the Windows Macbook, and hell they sell linux laptops via lamda. What they are asking isn't anymore insane than current mobo and CPU prices let alone GPU prices. It's a segmented market now, and the higher end has nothing in common with the lower end. FWIW their "business" stuff and laptop line is top notch and not asking more than an Alienware with a similar form factor and price. But they haven't fully sold out, unlike say Alienware or Voodoo PC or hell even Falcon NW which is a joke now. The fact is though income inequality is hyper capitalist now and we are in a situation where your brand signals your social status. You can't blame them for cashing in on this.

If I didn't have all the stuff I already did I'd be open into buying into the Razer system.

Hxx

A good set of keycaps is well over 100 bucks to start with. Those cheapo ones suck if you try the real thing. Hell a GMK ABS keycap set will spank a sub 100 PBT keycap set. I do agree in concept with you though, you can get a DECK keyboard (a company that makes government gear) with your pick of lighting, PBT, your pick of switches for sub 150 now. And if you want to go "low cost build it" you can get a cap set and keyboard for the same 250 that doesn't come with Razers bullshit. Going higher end a keyboard can run you 500 before you hit custom keycaps.

Thing is though at a certain point we hit the eco system issue. If you've already bought into Razer (and say what you will the Deathadder mouse is still one of the best out there) then it makes sense to shove all your crap under the same driver suite. Steelseries and logitech play the same silly game. There is a way out of this. Buying a driverless keyboard and dumping into a Microsoft Pro mouse and dumping into driverless sound. I have this on one box and it's flawless, cost in cost though it wasn't any cheaper than the all Steelseries set next to me right now.

Neither Razer, nor logitechs, nor steelseries shit is bad though. They get hits and misses, but they all flop on their face with heavy drivers and running multiple of them is just obnoxious. All that said the full Steelseries stack I have (mousepad, mouse, keyboard, headset, dac) does what it should as a gaming device. I'd be hard pressed to call it better than the deck keyboard, ms pro mouse, schitt stack, sennheiser configuration I also have. Once you are in, you're in.

I also wouldn't thrash Razer all that much. They have a full product stack and it's not bad. They are clearly by design, price, and lifestyle trying to become the Windows Macbook, and hell they sell linux laptops via lamda. What they are asking isn't anymore insane than current mobo and CPU prices let alone GPU prices. It's a segmented market now, and the higher end has nothing in common with the lower end. FWIW their "business" stuff and laptop line is top notch and not asking more than an Alienware with a similar form factor and price. But they haven't fully sold out, unlike say Alienware or Voodoo PC or hell even Falcon NW which is a joke now. The fact is though income inequality is hyper capitalist now and we are in a situation where your brand signals your social status. You can't blame them for cashing in on this.

If I didn't have all the stuff I already did I'd be open into buying into the Razer system.
I don’t mean to trash Razer in fact I still own a few of their products . My Tartarus pro is an excellent gaming pad for example. Some of their mice are legit good so definitely they can put out good peripherals but nowadays $250 will get you a keychron Q6/Q5 and have some spare cash for some upgrades and you’re done like pretty much set for awhile - RGB, gasket mount, hot swap pbt caps, nice switches, alu build, even a knob and no dependence on any software . That’s one example .
I don’t expect razer to put out a keychron competitor , I get their marketing targets a different crowd but I would expect at least “some” of those enthusiast features - great stabs , hotswap , maybe a coiled aviator cable or an all alu build.
Instead u get the same old recipe slightly tweaked for a cool $250. Oh well

I don’t mean to trash Razer in fact I still own a few of their products . My Tartarus pro is an excellent gaming pad for example. Some of their mice are legit good so definitely they can put out good peripherals but nowadays $250 will get you a keychron Q6/Q5 and have some spare cash for some upgrades and you’re done like pretty much set for awhile - RGB, gasket mount, hot swap pbt caps, nice switches, alu build, even a knob and no dependence on any software . That’s one example .
I don’t expect razer to put out a keychron competitor , I get their marketing targets a different crowd but I would expect at least “some” of those enthusiast features - great stabs , hotswap , maybe a coiled aviator cable or an all alu build.
Instead u get the same old recipe slightly tweaked for a cool $250. Oh well

All fine and true but if we are going to call 250 outrageous we are sailing well past the point. Past was you could get a steelseries or generic mech keyboard for 100 bucks. Moving up to programable macros, backlight, PBT, braided cable, from a company like DECK would still be sub 150. Now we are talking custom aviator cables that cost 60-100 depending on the quality and build, abs keycap sets that run over 100 along with PBT keycap sets for the same. It's not hard to assemble a keyboard that costs north of 500 bucks.

The arguments for which device now are not at all about functionality. It's about asthetics, DIY, driver suites, and all sorts of other nonsense. Just as I can point to a slew of different mice with the same sensor and switches (or slight varriants of that) who's pricing for what you actually pay for it (lower than MSRP) runs from 50-100+ bucks, that's leaving outwireless. You can't really escape this. You're either going with an ecosystem free system (MS Pro mouse, audiophile audio, driverless keyboard) or you are instantly stuck in one if not many ecosystems. And we all know that running say Razers drivers for mice, logitechs for a keyboard, Steelseries for audio, and let's toss Corsair in there and HyperX just for funzies is fucking bonkers. This leaving out what is going to manage your RGB, cause everything fucking has it now!

We don't like to admit this but PC stuff has become ecosystem based just as apple. You're finding a brand you like and trust and then going all in on it. This is only going to get worse. See Razer and ASUS with monitors.

Companies aren't selling products so much as "look at our performance compared to our competitors" they are selling it as "go out and buy ASUS ROG the everything!" some of that stuff will be great at it's price, some of it will be bad, and some of it will just generation "who was smocking crack" moments.