• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: Lexar Professional CFexpress Type A Card GOLD Series + CFexpress Type A/SD Card Reader

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Lexar aims to take over the increasingly popular CFexpress market with its new Type A GOLD series memory cards that promise to be the world's fastest while costing less than the competition too. We put it to the test today and pair it with the simultaneously released CFexpress Type A/SD card reader too.

Show full review

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
It is still way artifically overpriced to even be recommended. I would rudely say choke on them and still use UHS-II card.

The advanced high res/fps modes enter a realm where external recorders are being used in a rig setup. 160GB ain't serious space for those things too, so it ends up being an absurd product. During the shoot hey guys wait, I need to reload my dementic CFxa card, we will fix and clip that in post. No worries.

Just for faster buffer clearing? My A7m4 does not need that.

This thing really is questionable... especially for the price of a faster 2TB nvme drive. You can use those via adapters and in a rig setup it is doable, but money talks, the video modes still will be locked as camera validates the storage and asks for the paid premium tax bit, the memorystick vibes.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It is still way artifically overpriced to even be recommended. I would rudely say choke on them and still use UHS-II card.

The advanced high res/fps modes enter a realm where external recorders are being used in a rig setup. 160GB ain't serious space for those things too, so it ends up being an absurd product. During the shoot hey guys wait, I need to reload my dementic CFxa card, we will fix and clip that in post. No worries.

Just for faster buffer clearing? My A7m4 does not need that.

This thing really is questionable... especially for the price of a faster 2TB nvme drive. You can use those via adapters and in a rig setup it is doable, but money talks, the video modes still will be locked as camera validates the storage and asks for the paid premium tax bit, the memorystick vibes.
CFExpress Type-A is a weird spot though owing to the smaller market and manufacturers alike. I wouldn't dismiss it outright since there are some cameras coming that only take this form factor, but of course I get your point about when you can do either this or SD.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
CFExpress Type-A is a weird spot though owing to the smaller market and manufacturers alike. I wouldn't dismiss it outright since there are some cameras coming that only take this form factor, but of course I get your point about when you can do either this or SD.

The thing is it is artificial limitation, it doesn't deserve any praise. I guess Sony is to blame at most part, but the added margin is so attractive others do it also the same way.

You know a Samsung PM991 2230 nvme cards exist. Those are smaller single chip drives available up to 1TB, used in mobile areas like in Surfaces... and is faster than this card, I suspect much cooler too. There are no real technological issues having large sized CFxa cards. Slapt that IC on CFxA PCB and write the right eeprom flags = works.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The thing is it is artificial limitation, it doesn't deserve any praise. I guess Sony is to blame at most part, but the added margin is so attractive others do it also the same way.

You know a Samsung PM991 2230 nvme cards exist. Those are smaller single chip drives available up to 1TB, used in mobile areas like in Surfaces... and is faster than this card, I suspect much cooler too. There are no real technological issues having large sized CFxa cards. Slapt that IC on CFxA PCB and write the right eeprom flags = works.
Yet there isn't a product like this, so I can only go with what's in the market.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
Yet there isn't a product like this, so I can only go with what's in the market.

You don't need to buy and even recommend any product available in the market just because it exists, especially in current state ie price and anemic storage capacity. We have an option to use conventional SD Cards and it is enough. The unlocked videographer features really are questionable considering the amount of users who will actually use them. They would sport a Panasonic GH6 for example or some BlackMagic etc device.