• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

64 Audio U4s In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
64 Audio lowers the entry barrier to its universal-fit IEMs with the all-new U4s hybrid driver set. It uses a 1 DD/2 BA/1 Tia driver configuration paired with four sets of Apex modules, including the brand new m12 modules, to put out a smooth and customizable sound signature in a very comfortable form factor to be highly compelling in its price range.

Show full review

For those prices, I'd expect only the finest, most expensive, most uncompromising metals and materials. Gold, Platinum, Titanium, etc, etc.

I'd expect to be able to hear a Mouse fart on Mars and be able to tell the difference between that mouse on Mars and on pluto...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
For those prices, I'd expect only the finest, most expensive, most uncompromising metals and materials. Gold, Platinum, Titanium, etc, etc.

I'd expect to be able to hear a Mouse fart on Mars and be able to tell the difference between that mouse on Mars and on pluto...
Wait till you realize there are IEMs which cost nearly $10k and look terrible. This is reasonably priced for the market outside of some of the Chinese brand offerings.

If im honest, those prices are probably from the limited number of pieces they sell compared to the manhours they cost to design.
I can´t imagine that they cost so much to make (ignoring the designcost).
A 7950X for example costs about 60$ to make and 600$ in retail, but AMD needs to pay hundreds of expensive engineer paychecks...

Hey it´s not like i don´t own expensive audiohardware. I use a DT1990Pro. But if I compare it to the DT880 I own, I´d say they sound pretty similar. The DT1990Pro DOES sound a bit better and is more comftable to wear, but not worth 2-3 the price of the DT880.
I don´t use IEMs, because I get discomfort from them pretty quick, they also get dirty very quickly.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
If im honest, those prices are probably from the limited number of pieces they sell compared to the manhours they cost to design.
I can´t imagine that they cost so much to make (ignoring the designcost).
A 7950X for example costs about 60$ to make and 600$ in retail, but AMD needs to pay hundreds of expensive engineer paychecks...

Hey it´s not like i don´t own expensive audiohardware. I use a DT1990Pro. But if I compare it to the DT880 I own, I´d say they sound pretty similar. The DT1990Pro DOES sound a bit better and is more comftable to wear, but not worth 2-3 the price of the DT880.
I don´t use IEMs, because I get discomfort from them pretty quick, they also get dirty very quickly.
IEMs aren't that easy to get dirty with silicone tips, but foam can be messy I agree. The good thing is that the ear tips are replaceable so they can be just wiped or washed separately while the IEMs have new ear tips installed.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Wear and tear and replace item, $1099 haha no.

1099-3k is oddly cheap for this sort of thing. This is not ChiFi. The more well known western brands in this range (64 audio, empire ears, JH audio, UE) are not really selling consumer products. What they are doing is selling products that actual bands use live on stage and sound engineers use when mastering tracks. Sure, non professional musicians do use them and buy them but they are not made for normal people. What happened was that a while back these companies realized that regular people might want to buy them and so they started selling them openly. Thing is these remain professional products full out that will slaughter the ChiFi options. Sure they often tune some to a consumer market but they aren't going to drop the price because they don't have to. They play strictly in the "you'll pay for it because you make money off it" and the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" market and do just fine.
Wear and tear and replace item, $1099 haha no.
This is not remotely how this works. The parts that break (cable, tips) are obviously replaceable and not that expensive. This is true for just about everything remotely good above the 100 buck mark (and increasinly common below it). There is no battery that will die either. For the IEMs themselves they don't really break, these aren't made like that. If say you run it over with a chair they'll fix it for a fee even if out of warranty. If your dog eats it they will sell you that side of the IEM at a discount.

None of these brands are in the "let us screw our customers" game. Their customers are the worlds top singers, drummers, and guitar players. Their consumer side are people who will not tolerate being treated poorly either and have the spare cash to toss at something like this. You'll be replacing tips and cables but out side of random dogs eating these or you running them over with your chair you should never even need to contact them for support. If you do have to, you are going to get an actual person in the USA who's either just going to give you a new IEM for the side you broke with cross shipping or cut you a massive discount on the side your dog ate.

It's always funny to me that people will hurl money at true wireless stuff with ANC that sounds like ass in a telephone booth which is going to die off in less than five years and cannot be fixed but then balk at something that costs 1k+ which will last you your life and sounds vastly better. Or spend who knows how much on a GPU that will be outdated in 3 years, if it doesn't die, but then turn around and sticker shock at DACs and AMPs that are "this lasts the rest of your life". To each their own!

IEMs aren't that easy to get dirty with silicone tips, but foam can be messy I agree. The good thing is that the ear tips are replaceable so they can be just wiped or washed separately while the IEMs have new ear tips installed.
With my ears it doesn't matter. :D They will gunk up the speaker and not the tip...

With my ears it doesn't matter. :D They will gunk up the speaker and not the tip...
On page two these come with an ear wax cleaner (and more brands should do this). But what you want is a hearing aid cleaner. AKA a vacume gun. It will create a suction jet and pull all the gunk out of them. This is a good device to have for more than just IEMs. Push comes to shove if you have a soldering iron that suction cleaning device can work if you have to do it, but get you a vacume gun.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
On page two these come with an ear wax cleaner (and more brands should do this). But what you want is a hearing aid cleaner. AKA a vacume gun. It will create a suction jet and pull all the gunk out of them. This is a good device to have for more than just IEMs. Push comes to shove if you have a soldering iron that suction cleaning device can work if you have to do it, but get you a vacume gun.
64 Audio sells an IEM vacuum: https://www.64audio.com/collections/maintenance-tools/products/iem-vac

It's not inexpensive but can be a valuable asset for someone looking to keep IEMs for a long, long, long time.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Chi-Fi really did one-up the traditional headphone and IEM industry. As interesting as this set looks, its price makes it a very tough proposition when you could spend the same on Moondrop's Variations IEMs, their new Venus cans and still pocket some change instead.

The Venus has my particular attention, 100mm(!) planar magnetics at an $600 price point and without the compromises of the Audeze Mobius and its HyperX rebrand counterpart, I really want to see this one reviewed.

Great work as always mate :lovetpu:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Chi-Fi really did one-up the traditional headphone and IEM industry. As interesting as this set looks, its price makes it a very tough proposition when you could spend the same on Moondrop's Variations IEMs, their new Venus cans and still pocket some change instead.

The Venus has my particular attention, 100mm(!) planar magnetics at an $600 price point and without the compromises of the Audeze Mobius and its HyperX rebrand counterpart, I really want to see this one reviewed.

Great work as always mate :lovetpu:
In case you missed it: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/moondrop-venus-open-back-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones/

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
System Name Multiple desktop/server builds
Processor Desktops: 13900K, 5800X3D, 12900K | Servers: 2 x 3900X, 2 x 5950X, 3950X, 2950X, 8700K
Motherboard Z690 Apex, X570 Aorus Xtreme, Z690-I Strix
Cooling All watercooled
Memory DDR5-6400C32, DDR4-3600C14, DDR5-6000C36
Video Card(s) 4090 Gaming OC, 4090 TUF OC, 2 x 3090, 2 x 2080Ti, 1080Ti Gaming X EK, 2 x 1070, 2 x 1060
Storage dozens of TBs of SSDs, 112TB NAS, 140TB NAS
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G9, PG35VQ, P75QX-H1
Case Caselabs S8, Enthoo Elite, Meshlicious, Cerberus X, Cerberus, 2 x Velka 7, MM U2-UFO, Define C
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + SMSL SP200, Grace DAC + Drop THX AAA, Sony HT-A9, Nakamichi 9.2.4
Power Supply AX1200, Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse G Pro X Superlight Black + White
Keyboard Wooting 60HE, Moonlander
VR HMD Index, Oculus CV1
I've got a set of these coming with the iFi Go Pods bundle. It was the only bundled IEM I would have been interested in purchasing outside the bundle. I look forward to comparing it with my Monarch MK2

• Love

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I've got a set of these coming with the iFi Go Pods bundle. It was the only bundled IEM I would have been interested in purchasing outside the bundle. I look forward to comparing it with my Monarch MK2
Awesome!