• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Colorful CVN ICICLE DDR5-6600 CL34 2x 16GB

ir_cow

Staff member
Colorful expands into the DDR5 market with the CVN memory line. Equipped with an XMP profile of 6600 MT/s and modest timings of 34-44-44-108, it's time to see what Colorful has to offer casual and enthusiast users. Follow along as we test this memory kit and see how it stacks up to the competition!

Show full review

What happened with the temperature testing? It was crucial to determine the best heatsink. Did i miss something?

ir_cow

Staff member
What happened with the temperature testing? It was crucial to determine the best heatsink. Did i miss something?
The way I did it wasn't ideal. Since the temp sensor is next to the SPD chip near the PMIC. Ram without a thermal pad there would give different results. Not a good A/B test.

Ram isn't friendly to thermal probes either. I may add the thermal test back in, but it isn't directly comparable to other ram.

The way I did it wasn't ideal. Since the temp sensor is next to the SPD chip near the PMIC. Ram without a thermal pad there would give different results. Not a good A/B test.

Ram isn't friendly to thermal probes either. I may add the thermal test back in, but it isn't directly comparable to other ram.
Thank you for your explanation.
THis is maybe a crazy request but is it possibile to test the heatsinks, since you already disassemble them, on a "test module"? Pcb wise all the modules should be pretty similar.

ir_cow

Staff member
@Asni It is a interesting idea, So you just want the temp of the heatsink compared to other brands?

I'm not sure that would be easy without ruining the thermal tape in the transfer process

@Asni It is a interesting idea, So you just want the temp of the heatsink compared to other brands?

I'm not sure that would be easy without ruining the thermal tape in the transfer process
Yep. Once i determined the IC, that's what i usually look for, the heatsink is the main difference between brands and series. I don't care about XMPs or appearance.
So, i would really appreciate that.

Overall DDR 4 with low CL win in gaming. DDR5 higher CL looks not great. 16x2 DDR5 for same price you can get a 32x2 DDR4 CL14, CL16. Don't buy pc rig with DDR5 at the moment, DDR5 must get this CL16, CL14 at least 2-3 years later, I think...