• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: TOPPING EHA5 Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
TOPPING aims to lower the entry barrier to electrostatic headphones with its affordable EHA5 e-stat amplifier. It uses a solid-state design to deliver clean sound and has plenty of power for even demanding sets while offering both balanced and single-ended inputs and outputs, as well as a pass-through mode, further enhancing its versatility and value.

Show full review

Miiksuli

Wow. I have been sleeping:sleep: What a steal! It's even so cheap that it would be nice to also do some modifications if needed. And not be bankrupt if something goes horribly wrong.

There is Topping's answer if someone read somewhere else there is no protection:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

There are multiple levels of protections applied in the EHA5 to protect the headphones.

A bit more insights. The caps are rated at least 1000V. The suggested output protection is not necessary. For two reasons, the transformer has certain output impedance to limit current. When for some reason the diaphragm is hitting the plate, the other side of it is the resistance in the bias circuit, 3.3M ohm will definitely limit current. And various tests with headphones are performed, including full sine wave with max volume at high gain into different headphones this shows no issues to the amp and the headphones. And when diaphragm hits the plate continuously, there's still not damage seen.
There are bias voltage detection and protection, amplifier DC protection, power supply voltage detection, over current protection in EHA5 to ensure the safety of the headphones.

Best Regards"

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Wow. I have been sleeping:sleep: What a steal! It's even so cheap that it would be nice to also do some modifications if needed. And not be bankrupt if something goes horribly wrong.

There is Topping's answer if someone read somewhere else there is no protection:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

There are multiple levels of protections applied in the EHA5 to protect the headphones.

A bit more insights. The caps are rated at least 1000V. The suggested output protection is not necessary. For two reasons, the transformer has certain output impedance to limit current. When for some reason the diaphragm is hitting the plate, the other side of it is the resistance in the bias circuit, 3.3M ohm will definitely limit current. And various tests with headphones are performed, including full sine wave with max volume at high gain into different headphones this shows no issues to the amp and the headphones. And when diaphragm hits the plate continuously, there's still not damage seen.
There are bias voltage detection and protection, amplifier DC protection, power supply voltage detection, over current protection in EHA5 to ensure the safety of the headphones.

Best Regards"
Yes, that answer was provided to me also and is in the article.

FWIW you can get the HiveX headphones + this amp for 999 which is shockingly low for an estat system and probably a good way to start.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
FWIW you can get the HiveX headphones + this amp for 999 which is shockingly low for an estat system and probably a good way to start.
Totally, although there can be some occasional frustration with the HiveX diaphragm sticking to the stators as I found out and mentioned in the article.

Miiksuli

One of the cheapest estats out there that u can actually buy. Taobao also sells some too for a very cheap price but not to outsiders directly.

Totally, although there can be some occasional frustration with the HiveX diaphragm sticking to the stators as I found out and mentioned in the article.
I think it's humidity think. It occasional happen on my HiveX too.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
One of the cheapest estats out there that u can actually buy. Taobao also sells some too for a very cheap price but not to outsiders directly.

I think it's humidity think. It occasional happen on my HiveX too.
Not much humidity at my place, but yes that can affect it as you pointed out.

You make sacrifices as you go down the price stack. However 1k is firmly within "splurge" range for audio stuff and when you compare that to 4-5 figures for most estat headphones and 5 figures for a lot of amps it comes into picture.