• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dan Clark Audio E3 Closed-Back Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Dan Clark Audio follows up on the flagship closed-back STEALTH with the more affordable but equally impressive E3. It uses a new generation planar magnetic driver coupled with a novel dual-mode bass port and custom acoustic metamaterials implementation to put out an accurate, balanced, and fun sound for a reasonable price.

Show full review

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
hmm these seem like they would be good for music production! I'd like to try these because they seem to have air in the right areas for a lot of the synths I use... if you would, please give my music a shot and see how good it does on these and let me know! links are in sig if you want a quick listen... and if anyone else wants to take a crack at it ti that has these

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Well, at least this time the Gorilla Glass experiment is successful, if expensive. I think all of us who had the… pleasure… to experience the Senn HD820 can at least sleep soundly knowing that a second abomination of that caliber wasn’t unleashed on the world.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
hmm these seem like they would be good for music production! I'd like to try these because they seem to have air in the right areas for a lot of the synths I use... if you would, please give my music a shot and see how good it does on these and let me know! links are in sig if you want a quick listen... and if anyone else wants to take a crack at it ti that has these
Very cool music, and yeah they were really good on the E3. Thanks for sharing.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Very cool music, and yeah they were really good on the E3. Thanks for sharing.
Awesome!!! Dm me the nitty gritties!! I'd like to know more and possibly a mini review on em lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I think I am going to sell my beloved HD58X and a couple more headphones and get the HE5XX HiFiMan, on sale for $160... hopefully can sell my HD58X for $100

Dan Clark is next level, but out of my range

As an audiophile i would really like to give it a try... even if i am more towards ordinary speakers technology... i mean everybody tries to reinvent the wheel... but anyway imho they need a better setup for that price... not worth using chineese dac/amps like Gustards (like the reviewer used) , Toppings, shiit or whatever even if they cost 2k... i might trigger someone but thats just my 2 cents :)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
As an audiophile i would really like to give it a try... even if i am more towards ordinary speakers technology... i mean everybody tries to reinvent the wheel... but anyway imho they need a better setup for that price... not worth using chineese dac/amps like Gustards (like the reviewer used) , Toppings, shiit or whatever even if they cost 2k... i might trigger someone but thats just my 2 cents :)
If you feel that a product can be judged based on its country of origin alone then I don't have anything left to say to you.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
If you feel that a product can be judged based on its country of origin alone then I don't have anything left to say to you.
It’s even more bizzare of a statement considering that at the heart of all “Chi-Fi” hardware lie the same chips from ESS, Burr-Brown, Cirrus, AKM, what have you, as the non-China made stuff. I thought we’ve established years ago with the advent of objective testing that as long as the source is transparent and the amp has enough power nothing else matters. I felt like I went back in time to 2010 or so and the Head-Fi forum.

Yes, as i told i knew i was going to trigger some but thats ok, that was just my opinion and i dont pretend that you agree with me, no offense for real and that was not a judgment on your review.

It’s even more bizzare of a statement considering that at the heart of all “Chi-Fi” hardware lie the same chips from ESS, Burr-Brown, Cirrus, AKM, what have you, as the non-China made stuff. I thought we’ve established years ago with the advent of objective testing that as long as the source is transparent and the amp has enough power nothing else matters. I felt like I went back in time to 2010 or so and the Head-Fi forum.
They might be the same like you said but they are not the same, your statement "as long the source is transparent and the amp has enough power" means nothing like saying all stuff is equal if they have the same features. Are 2 different cars the same if they have the same engine and both have 4 tyres and 4 doors? Also i am old enough, that i dont need a Delorean to travel back, to say that imho old stuff "if kept in the right condition or restored correctly" can sound better than most of the new stuff from "questionable source".

Still guys these are my 2 cents, enjoy your day :)

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@poliacido
I don’t think you understand. It’s not a matter of opinion. Not unless earth being a globe or water being wet is. There is objective testing that is done that has long ago confirmed my statement that you described as “meaning nothing”. Transparent uncolored sources are all, by definition, equal. And as such, any transparent source paired with a solid state amp providing enough power to drive the headphones tested will do for the purpose of measuring the performance of the drivers. Any drivers (I am omitting electrostats here due to their exotic nature). The price point of headphones is irrelevant in this case. If they can be driven by an amp a tenth if the price - so be it. There are high end IEMs costing several grand that can be driven off a phone without any adverse issues.
And yes, of course there are colored sources, like tubes and older DACs, that can SUBJECTIVELY sound better to someone. That’s fine. But in a review which strives to present the product characteristics untainted by anything else using such sources will introduce a variance. And that’s why it isn’t done.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

This is true although perhaps he was referring to the physical quality, consistency, and service provided with a product.

For me personally, I have not had a remotely good experience with my Topping DX5. It was buggy right out of the box and required a firmware update in order to use. Nowadays the unit barley functions, the volume knob jumps the volume up and down anywhere from 0.5 Db to 15 Db per increment. It would cost me $80 to send it back to China and likely 3-4 months to get it back which I really don't think it's worth it.

The sound it produces is fantastic but I'll 100% not be making the mistake of buying from a brand that doesn't have a reasonable RMA timeframe, which pretty much excludes Chinese brands. I've had to RMA a product to DCA before and they handled it fantastically. It sounds better than the JDS Element II I had before but I didn't have a single issue with the Element nor any other DAC. It's honestly surprising that a brand can screw up the basics like a volume knob and not having buggy operation as much as the DX5 has for me. Heck now when I try and use the remote the remote for the DX5 the volume up and down buttons do the inverse operation. This isn't a permium experience.