• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVM Express Releases NVMe 2.1 Specifications

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
NVM Express, Inc. today announced the release of three new specifications and eight updated specifications. This update to NVMe technology builds on the strengths of previous NVMe specifications, introducing significant new features for modern computing environments while also streamlining development and time to market.

"Beginning as a single PCIe SSD specification, NVMe technology has grown into nearly a dozen specifications, including multiple command sets, that provide pivotal support for NVMe technology across all major transports and standardize many aspects of storage," said Peter Onufryk, NVM Express Technical Workgroup Chair. "NVMe technology adoption continues to grow and has succeeded in unifying client, cloud, AI and enterprise storage around a common architecture. The future of NVMe technology is bright and we have 75 new authorized technical proposals underway."

NVM Express Specifications Target Streamlined Development
The latest NVMe specifications consist of multiple documents targeted at allowing faster and simpler development of NVMe architecture. The three new specifications are the NVMe Boot specification, the Subsystem Local Memory command set and the Computational Programs command set. The updated specifications are the NVMe 2.1 Base specification, Command Set specifications (NVM Command Set, ZNS Command Set, Key Value Command Set), Transport specifications (PCIe Transport, Fibre Channel Transport, RDMA Transport and TCP Transport) and the NVMe Management Interface specification.

Key New NVMe Capabilities
  • Enabling live migration of PCIe NVMe controllers between NVM subsystems.
  • New host-directed data placement for SSDs that simplifies ecosystem integration and is backwards compatible with previous NVMe specifications.
  • Support for offloading some host processing to NVMe storage devices.
  • A network boot mechanism for NVMe over Fabrics (NVMe-oF).
  • Support for NVMe over Fabrics zoning.
  • Ability to provide host management of encryption keys and highly granular encryption with Key Per I/O.
  • Security enhancements such as support for TLS 1.3, a centralized authentication verification entity for DH-HMAC-CHAP, and post sanitization media verification.
  • Management enhancements including support for high availability out-of-band management, management over I3C, out-of-band management asynchronous events and dynamic creation of exported NVM subsystems from underlying NVM subsystem physical resources.

The NVM Express specifications and the new feature specifications are available for download on the NVM Express website.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

My impression is that there isn`t really anything new to the consumer side. I guess offloading could be a bit helpful, if it's ever implemented on consumer devices(big if).

Right here, right now, unlike your deadbeat carcus
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Somebody should start a letter writing campaign to NVMEx, stating that we "feel the need, the need for (moar) speeed" :D

Maybe this, combined with the new PCIe 6 & 7 protocols, will get us our wishes...

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
What happened to Zoned Namespaces, part of the NVMe 2.0 protocols? Are they implemented in any current products?