• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Reveals New Solutions and Delivers Keynote at FMS 2024

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Western Digital, a leader in Flash and HDD data storage, is unveiling groundbreaking solutions and technology demonstrations at FMS 2024 that raise the bar for performance, capacity and efficiency for transformative AI Data Cycle workloads. These innovations cater to diverse market segments from hyperscale cloud to automotive and consumer storage. Attendees will also gain insights from a keynote address by Rob Soderbery, executive vice president and general manager of Western Digital's Flash Business Unit, on Tuesday at 3 PM. During the keynote, Soderbery will delve into the strategic advancements propelling the future of NAND, AI and data storage from the data center to the edge.

"As AI technologies advance and become increasingly embedded in the world around us, the demand for storage will only continue to grow," said Soderbery. "Western Digital's product and technology roadmaps are strategically aligned to ensure our customers have the most advanced, reliable solutions to stay ahead in the rapidly changing AI landscape. This holistic approach ensures that our customers receive the most power-efficient, high-performing and high-capacity solutions tailored to their specific needs. We are excited to showcase our full range of products and new technologies and demonstrate how they can transform AI now and into the future."

AI Innovation from the Data Center to the Edge
The rapid rise of AI, ML, and large language models (LLMs) is challenging companies with two opposing forces. Data generation and consumption are skyrocketing, while organizations face pressure to quickly derive value from this data. Performance, scalability, and efficiency are essential for AI technology stacks as storage demands rise. Western Digital offers a comprehensive storage technology portfolio tailored to support every stage of the evolving AI Data Cycle. Here are some of the company's show highlights:

Data Center:
  • Showcasing the company's leading data center products announced in June - including an industry-leading PCIe Gen 5 enterprise-class SSD (eSSD) for compute-intensive applications, a new 64 TB eSSD for storage-intensive applications, and the world's first 32 TB ePMR SMR HDD for massive data storage at scale.
  • A BiCS8 128 TB high-capacity QLC eSSD technology demonstration for fast AI data lakes and capacity-intensive performance applications.
  • The new RapidFlex interposer, which converts PCIe SSD signals to Ethernet so now PCIe eSSDs can be deployed in either an Ethernet-switched or a PCIe-switched system architecture as found in the newly enhanced OpenFlex Data24 4200 NVMe-oF storage platform. Disaggregated NVMe-oF storage is a key enabler to making AI workflows more effective and manageable. Come see a captivating demonstration with the Ingrasys ES2100 based on NVIDIA Spectrum Ethernet switch technology and NVIDIA's GPUDirect Storage (GDS) that enables visualization and analysis of large-scale 3D datasets in real time, highlighting a direct data path between NVMe-oF storage and GPU memory to drive scalable, high-performance and efficient utilization of storage and GPU resources for intensive AI applications. The RapidFlex Interposer is now available and is currently being licensed by Ingrasys.
Client:
  • Technology demonstrations of BiCS8 performance and mainstream PCIe Gen 5 NVMe SSDs for AI PCs, gaming rigs, workstations, laptops and other mobile client PCs.
Automotive:
  • The new Western Digital AT EN610 NVMe SSD is an automotive-grade, high-performance, wide-temperature range storage solution designed for the demanding requirements of next-generation high-performance centralized computing (HPCC) architectures. With flexibility through high-capacity TLC with the option to fully or partially configure the drive to high-endurance SLC, the AT EN610 comes in M.2 Type 1620 BGA form factor and offers up to 1 TB of storage capacity. The Western Digital AT EN610 is now sampling.
  • The company is also previewing its new Western Digital iNAND AT EU752, targeting advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), infotainment systems (IVI), and other autonomous driving systems. The EU752 is one of the of the most advanced automotive-grade storage solutions, which includes additional features beyond the UFS 4.0 specification like automatic device refresh to prevent data corruption, 100% content pre-loading and more for added performance and reliability. Built on BiCS8 NAND technology, it delivers up to 1 TB and blazing data transfer speeds. The AT EU752 will being sampling in CQ1'25.
Consumer:
  • A first look at Western Digital's ground-breaking, high-capacity, high-performance flash-based consumer products that push the boundaries of what's possible. The company is introducing the world's first SanDisk 4 TB microSDUC UHS-I card and world's first SanDisk 8 TB SDUC UHS-I card, built for tomorrow's smartphones, gaming devices, drones, cameras and laptops.
  • Demonstrations of its super-sized SSDs - the first-ever 16 TB portable SSD proof of concept, and the 16 TB SanDisk Desk Drive, featuring unprecedented space and performance to keep up with the ever-growing creation and consumption of rich and engaging content.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Consumer:
  • A first look at Western Digital's ground-breaking, high-capacity, high-performance flash-based consumer products that push the boundaries of what's possible. The company is introducing the world's first SanDisk 4 TB microSDUC UHS-I card and world's first SanDisk 8 TB SDUC UHS-I card, built for tomorrow's smartphones, gaming devices, drones, cameras and laptops.
  • Demonstrations of its super-sized SSDs - the first-ever 16 TB portable SSD proof of concept, and the 16 TB SanDisk Desk Drive, featuring unprecedented space and performance to keep up with the ever-growing creation and consumption of rich and engaging content.

What about "super sized" internal SSD drives? Not exciting enough? Not needed for this brave new world of ever-growing creation and consumption of rich and engaging content?

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Consumer:

What about "super sized" internal SSD drives? Not exciting enough? Not needed for this brave new world of ever-growing creation and consumption of rich and engaging content?

The simple fact that they're able to make a fingernail-sized micro SD card at 8 TB (which goes beyond even SDXC spec, they needed to come up with this new SD Ultra Capacity standard) shows how stagnated the PC SSD market has become. It's obviously intentional - neither Western Digital nor Seagate want to stop selling HDDs, after all. That's why we don't get SSDs above 8 TB on client segment, or high-performance for that matter - and also why their cost is so off, it's a shameless cartel.

As customary, every time this topic comes up, I will take the opportunity to advocate for the ruthless death of the SATA port, USB 2.0 connectors, the mp3 codec, and the spinning rust HDD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
As customary, every time this topic comes up, I will take the opportunity to advocate for the ruthless death of the SATA port, USB 2.0 connectors, the mp3 codec, and the spinning rust HDD
While I agree with the other things you've written I do disagree on abolishing the things you advocate. SATA (or a replacement) is needed so storage doesn't take over the complete motherboard. I know you can get PCIe adapters for nVME drives, but that's not a solution either. USB 2.0 connectors, I'm guessing you're thinking of Type-A connectors. For Type-A USB 2.0 is more resilient. The traces needed for USB 3.x are to thin resulting in much quicker wearout, and not everything needs fast data transfer (mice and keyboards for instance). I'd agree on moving completely over to Type-C connectors, regardless of the protocol used. MP3 I don't have any problems with. I know there are better-quality codecs, but MP3 still does a fine job, all things considered. That leaves the "spinning rust". The idea of going all-flash is very seductive, but what about data retention? And of course we would need much cheaper and much bigger SSDs, which leads us back to the problem: Apparently "Big Storage" doesn't care about that, at least not for consumers.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Yeah it's this "it's good enough" thing that enables companies to pull a fast one on us. As for the data retention concern: this guy on Reddit basically got 4 of some of the lowest quality SSDs you can get and is running his own 4 year experiment

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/16xk59l
A year round unpowered at room temperature caused no data loss whatsoever

It seems more and more like all the development in server, and now for AI kind of remains completely separate from consumer sector - all we got for the past 5 years is faster sequential speeds - for a while, until cache fills... And falling revenue from this sector just means there is even less reason to invest and advance products, resulting in even more people not buying anything new until old drive completely fails. Catch 22.

GabrielLP14

SSD DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Gabriel-PC
Processor Core i7-13700K (All Core 5.7GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z790-P PRO WIFI DDR4
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 32GB Netac DDR4-3200 MT/s CL-16
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Super Colorful
Storage Memblaze P7940 7.68TB Gen5 (OS), SK Hynix P41 2TB (Games) + 4x 4TB WD Black HD (Synology NAS DS1817)
Display(s) AOC G2460PF 144Hz 1ms (Kinda trash)
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Audio Device(s) Motherboard onboard audio (good enough for me)
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Have no idea (Generic)
Keyboard Have no idea (Generic)
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2 + Windows Server 2022 + Synology in NAS
i smell like Marvell's Bravera controller alongside Kioxia BiCS8 udpated. They had recently launched the SN860 which was Kioxia BiCS6