• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Star Wars Outlaws: DLSS vs. FSR vs. XeSS Comparison

Star Wars Outlaws is out now on PC, with support for NVIDIA's DLSS Super Resolution, DLAA, Frame Generation and Ray Reconstruction. Also supported is AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution upscaling and Frame Generation, and the newest version of Intel's Xe Super Sampling. In this review we compare the image quality and performance gains offered by these technologies.

Show full review

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
XeSS looks like it needs to be patched.
FSR and DLSS look the same.

And all in all I think this game looks really rather unappealing with how parts of plants seem to stick together in one weirdly unnatural animation.

Not that that matters, not going to get this game anyway.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
The FSR 3 implementation has visible pixelation in moving vegetation and tree leaves with heavy disocclusion artifacts, mainly around the main character in motion
Not that FSR's issues are totally fixed in 3.1 but it sucks to see 3 used here and have such a poor outcome. I can't stand shimmering vegetation (especially in a vegetation heavy game) and disocclusion artefacts in a 3rd person game.
The DLSS Super Resolution implementation is the only upscaling solution that is stable in motion in this game. It is free from pixelation in moving vegetation, we didn't observe any ghosting or smearing artifacts.
Happy to see they got that right at least, so it's nice to know that when I do get to this game I can have a stable and clean presentation.

Also really sucks to see XeSS fall flat on it's face this time, truly just seems broken in this game based off the conclusion and how well 1.3 fares in other games. Hopefully that is a simple fix so FSR users get more options, and hopefully FSR 3.1 is patched in too.

Is it me or does anyone else notice on DLSS a lot of the shadows are removed or significantly diminished? Seems like Nvidia is artificially boosting performance by cutting shadows!

Is it me or does anyone else notice on DLSS a lot of the shadows are removed or significantly diminished? Seems like Nvidia is artificially boosting performance by cutting shadows!

Not comparing the same exact same frames. Different light sources at different times (sun/clouds), not exactly a great comparison.

Thanks a lot for the Screenshots.

I first thought 1440p native was the upscaling picture. No I was wrong.

1440p native TAA looks already like garbage. Maybe it is intended like that. Assume that should be grass and not alien plastics on the floor, there may be an issue with the game engine. Hair is also very, very unrealistic and artificial made. I expect a lot more for 2024. Let's assume that should be a human figure and not a moving star wars teddy bear - they coders totally failed on that point. The lack of shadwos in the rock formation in the background implies there is no mathematics or physics for light implemented. Hole picture looks in the same illumination. The jacket of that humanoid figure in the middle of the screenshot lacks wear and tear, dark and light spots and the usual illumination of cloths.

I expect such quality in an epic games store giveaway game which was released several years ago. There is no real progress comparing 1440p with existing games in 1440p (resolution).

I may now understand why people are happy with upscaling. When the game engine or the raw material looks like garbage, it does not really matter to upscale it. Assuming your goals are high frame rates with high resolution It just reminds me of a cheap camera from 20 years ago. A lack of lots of details and other issues.

Garbage is short for a lack of lightning, details, clear edges of objects, lack of shadows. Star wars Jedi Survivor which I played over XMAS had similar unrealistic, bad lightning graphics.

considering the video:
  • The robot like movement of that humanoid figure and of the 4 legs robot animal.
  • Not considering the heigth difference of the moon and therefore not considering the counterbalance while running of the humanoid robot and dog like robot
  • Unrealistic hair
  • lack of light and dark and surface details of the jacket for the humanoid robot.
  • one color, no surface details, lack of color trousers of the humanoid robot.
  • one brightness mountains in the background

There are plenty of 8bit graphics games which do a better job. Or games which are comic like. They have a better look and feel in my point of view.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
1725009798458.png

Well, this patch of smoke (picture 1, upper left corner of the house on the left) looks like pixelated shit even with DLAA at 4K. It took me 1 second to spot it. Maybe I'm just cursed, I don't know, but all this stuff makes me mad. It's always visible immediately. If there's no ghosting, there's this, if there's no shimmering, there's always ghosting or some other shit. Crazy! This is what the devs need to fix, not ever-more-realistic lighting. And animations, both facial and body. *Then* please move on with all the realistic lights.