• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A lesson on what not to do to, I hope TPU learns from sites like Ars Technica

Space Lynx

Astronaut
TPU is great, don't fix what isn't broken, which is exactly what Ars Technica did, their new website launched today and is atrocious. Ars Technica is now a horrible doom scroll experience on mobile with giant blocks to show just one article (before I could see all articles with half a scroll down), desktop Ars Technica is just as bad now too. It was perfect before in smaller block, everything has been giant inflated... lots of wasted space. Before I could glance at 9 different articles quickly to see what interested me, now its down to 5 or 6 max, and even those 5 or 6 take more to figure out what's going on with them cause of the formatting being so strange.

Polygon gaming website did something similar too, Polygon was perfect grid no wasted space, and they changed it a few weeks ago and its a mess to look at now.

Lesson of the day, don't fix what isn't broken, so many sites need to learn this basic fact.

1727931708459.png

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
not gonna happen

if you're complaining about the downtime tonight? it was broken and if it's not getting fixed it's never coming back online

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
TPU is great, don't fix what isn't broken, which is exactly what Ars Technica did, their new website launched today and is atrocious. Ars Technica is now a horrible doom scroll experience on mobile with giant blocks to show just one article (before I could see all articles with half a scroll down), desktop Ars Technica is just as bad now too. It was perfect before in smaller block, everything has been giant inflated... lots of wasted space. Before I could glance at 9 different articles quickly to see what interested me, now its down to 5 or 6 max, and even those 5 or 6 take more to figure out what's going on with them cause of the formatting being so strange.

Polygon gaming website did something similar too, Polygon was perfect grid no wasted space, and they changed it a few weeks ago and its a mess to look at now.

Lesson of the day, don't fix what isn't broken, so many sites need to learn this basic fact.

View attachment 365780
It's because we all access web sites via our tablets these days. You know, just like with Windows 8, which was a huge success ....oh, wait!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's because we all access web sites via our tablets these days. You know, just like with Windows 8, which was a huge success ....oh, wait!

now that you mention it, their new format actually would suit tablets and windows 8 very well.... sigh I love Ars Technica, very good company that has great journalism, but yeah don't fix what isn't broken from a technical aspect

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
And ... what if other people like the new design ?

Space Lynx

Astronaut

this is completely fine, I am sure people do otherwise they would not have changed it, the desktop new design is not terrible, I will say that - but the mobile one going from 6-8 articles at a time down to 1 in a giant block, that one I struggle to understand how anyone likes being changed.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Screw them, simple.

I'm not even kidding. This ultra low info density bullshit has to stop. Its all part of the Great Plan to get us addicted and stupid.

Keep scrolling!

Infinite scroll and all those other nice tricks are also dark patterns. They're designed to keep you on the website longer. So now you know why everyone's copying this bullshit. Its not because 'we like it' or because its somehow better. Its a path that leads to misdirection and info overload, so you start doing things you'd not do if you were acting sane.

Last edited: