• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Aspire 5560-7851 (15") Upgrade Options.

ALmyar

So, New here, i know, not new to hardware, system building, or anything of the nature, but i AM new to APU's. I just came back from an old Athlon X2 2.3GHz Dual Core, with a Nvidia GTX 240. It dying, i went out and got my Acer. It's a relatively fast machine, playing semi- high end games on almost max settings, multitasking like a champ and having damn near unbelievable battery life. But i just dont feel like it's being used to it's fullest potential. I got the laptop from a stoic 1.6GHz with a Turbo Core of 2.3GHz, Overclocked to 2.67GHz, 90%ish Stable. Using K10Stat and AMD Overdrive. But i think that right there hits the max of this A6 3400M. I wanted to know, considering AMD released all these nice shiny APU Socket FS1 Cores, logic should dictate that i could in essence, go ahead and step up my game and say, throw a AMD A8 In here? now i know most new end laptops are very, VERY power oriented and designed, But me pushing this thing to 2.67GHz and upping the core voltage to 1.36 there should be some leeway in essence of installing a newer, more powerful core, right? I know this sounds like i'm a newb, but i figured i would get opinions before i go ahead and 1. rip this sealed, never taken apart laptop apart, and 2. purchase a probable 250-350$ APU. So, what does everyone think? Right now I haven't had the time to benchmark using Vantage, or anything other then look at the "accurate" WEI Scores, they're all

Processor: 6.9

Memory (RAM) 7.3

Graphics: 5.8

Gaming Graphics: 6.5

Hard Disk: 6.3

I know i certainly want to MAYBE do a SSD, Or a 7200RPM Drive, (Maybe not SSD because of the terrible lifespan when used as a primary drive) 7200 RPM Drive seems like a more logical choice, but not that much of a worthwhile difference.
RAM i MAYBE will go to 8GB, it has 6GB now, of DDR3 1333. I mainly want to go to like a A8-3500M Or A8-3550MX And dont overclock.

SO, What does everyone think? Opinions and suggestions please!

infinissan

Acer Aspire

I have the very same laptop as you, and yea i thought about toying with it, adding a 500gb velociraptor hard drive, cramming an A8 apu in it. but in reality i would leave it alone. The Aspire 5560 is already a very powerful laptop for the price, i also use K10stat and find that 2400mhz and 1.35v plays The force unleashed II on max settings, resolution and anti aliasing just perfect, even bad company 2 looks amazing on just high settings with 2x AA, keeps frames about 20, still great for playing. Im thinking about putting an even more extended battery in mine and putting 8gb of ddr3 1667mhz ram in it, see what itll do me ;)