• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Adventure: Running 8/9th gen Coffee Lake CPUs on Z170 motherboard (ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger)

System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX/4.8 GHz cache | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge OC | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB+Crucial P5 1TB+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE w 5.1 Home Theater | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX) w 2.1 speakers
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
Hello everyone, I am writing this to share about my adventure making Coffee Lake CPUs work on Z170 motherboard. My secondary system as on specs has an ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (Z170) that officially supports up to 7th gen CPUs (7700K). I have been using an i5 7600K @4.9 GHz since March 2017. As you might know, 8th and 9th gen CPUs fit in the socket perfectly however, the motherboard doesn't start. Until now that is.
Spoiler alert!
Z170 Coffee Lake.PNG

How to:
To start things, I should mention I researched a lot regarding the pros and cons on various forums. Since this is my second PC, I did not care much about getting an upgrade until I found a great deal on Amazon India for a brand new i5 9600KF! And as you can imagine, it was quite tempting for the adventure and because, why not?

To start, I downloaded a tool (CoffeeTime 0.99) and modded the BIOS with it, adding the necessary microcodes and applying the necessary fixes. I did it such that existing CPU support is not removed.

MOD1.PNG
MOD2.PNG

For making this BIOS flash successful, you have to use an external programmer. In my case, I used a CH341A programmer. Luckily, the Maximus VIII Ranger has a removable BIOS chip. I took out the BIOS chip and first took a dump of the existing official BIOS from the chip. This is useful to preserve your board data like serial number, MAC address, licenses etc. Once done, I used a software called FD44Editor to pull of the data and inject it to the modified BIOS file. Once done, I erased the BIOS chip and flashed the modified BIOS. In my case, the flash was not successful even after multiple attempts but I put back the BIOS chip back on the board anyway. It did not start (Q-Code 00). But this time, I used ASUS USB BIOS Flashback (since BIOS chip was empty, flashback will flash all regions including the ones which were previously locked). And success. The system booted up fine with the i5 7600K and worked as good as it did with the original BIOS. Our BIOS modding is done.
Now for the hardware part.
I ordered an i5 9600KF which was quite affordable and was a good upgrade from the 7600K. Now, if you look at the pinouts of SkyLake/KabyLake vs. Coffee Lake, you will see a number of differences, one of them being VCC and VSS (ground pads). On the 6th and 7th gen CPUs, there are two consecutive contacts on the CPU which are grounded. When you install the CPU on the motherboard, these pads make a connection with the socket pins which "tells" the board to turn on.
On 8th and 9th gen, that contact point is RSVD (reserved). Hence I needed to connect these two pins.
P_20210710_075733_1.jpg
To do that, I used a copper tape with adhesive and cut that accordingly. Extreme care is required for this step to make sure nothing else is shorted. Also note that connecting the CPU pads are not necessary but shorting the pins in the socket is what does the trick.
After this I installed the cooler and VOILA! POST successful. My adventures went on as I continued testing stability.
Finally, I was able to achieve 5 GHz core clock and 4.8 GHz cache clock at just 1.36V!
Z170 Coffee Lake2.PNG

I tested with my RTX 2060 Super from my primary rig and did some gaming. Runs awesome. Better than my overclocked Ryzen 5 3600!

HorizonZeroDawn_2021_07_10_11_23_49_998.jpg

To finalize things, I thought what if I could remove the copper tape? Is there any other way?
And that's when I learnt about those two contact pads and the "Socket Occupied" sense.
I grabbed the datasheet of the SuperIO controller. In the Maximus VIII Ranger, it is a Nuvoton NCT6793D.
NCT6793D_SKT_OCC.PNG

In the photo, pin 102 (highlighted - top left) is the SKTOCC pin or socket occupied. According to the datasheet, grounding this will "fool" the motherboard to think that a CPU is present which is what we want since the 8th and 9th gen CPUs communicates this signal in another way. I followed the trace and found the nearest ground pin and soldered a tiny wire (marked with yellow rectangle)
Maximus VIII Ranger SKT_OCC mod_CFL.jpg

To test this, I powered the board without the CPU installed and surely, it started (00 code, no CPU but fans spin) thus making our modification successful. Once this was tested, I removed the copper tape from CPU and cleaned the base with IsoPropyl Alcohol to remove any fingerprints and residue.
I put back the CPU on the socket and closed the latch.
P_20210710_081117e.jpg
P_20210709_200332.jpg

This has been a great experiment and very nice upgrade. This motherboard has a very capable power delivery system and some people are even running i9 9900K at 5 GHz with this very motherboard.

This mod can be applied to any 100/200 series motherboards. The below photo is important and in some motherboards it is very important to isolate the pins to prevent damage. Fortunately, the Maximus VIII Ranger don't have these pins connected anywhere and hence no isolation was needed in my case.
Pinmod.png

I wrote this as an adventure. If you have a spare 8th/9th gen CPU lying around with a 100 or 200 series motherboard, you can give this a go. For me, the motherboard I have is in mint condition and hence I decided to give it a deserving upgrade.
I use this PC for video editing and the 6 cores make a lot of difference. I initially thought of going for a 9700K/KF but it was twice the cost of the 9600KF and honestly did not justify the extra performance!
I am planning to make a video of this as a tutorial for anyone who would like to try this.
Thanks for reading and stay safe! :)

Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX/4.8 GHz cache | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB+Crucial P5 1TB+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE w 5.1 Home Theater | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX) w 2.1 speakers
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
Hello everyone, so I just made a YouTube video about this guide in case some of you want to give it a shot. Do let me know about any queries and any feedback is welcome.

Guide: Coffee Lake CPU on Z170

Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks for researching this topic and putting together your detailed guide!
While I'm not going to attempt this mod myself, I'm sure there are people out there brave enough ;)

Hello everyone, so I just made a YouTube video about this guide in case some of you want to give it a shot. Do let me know about any queries and any feedback is welcome.

Guide: Coffee Lake CPU on Z170

Hello friend @itsakjt, I'm also wanting to venture on this journey of installing a 9700K CPU on my Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170) motherboard, I would like your help if you can help me, one of the issues I would like to discuss with you is about the pins on the CPU , did you manage to find the pin on the motherboard that is short , my question is will it be possible to also find a way to avoid using tape to isolate the other pins on the CPU ??? if it is possible to find them on the motherboard we could disconnect them and install the 9700K without making any changes to the CPU !!!

Another question is , after I make all these changes to install the 9700K if I need for some reason to get my old 6700K back can I install it back without having to revert the changes ???

Finally , I would like to thank you for having shared your adventure here on the forum , it gave me more courage to also take risks in this task !!!

A big hug friend !!!

@dumaster

Last edited:
Hello friend @itsakjt, I'm also wanting to venture on this journey of installing a 9700K CPU on my Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170) motherboard, I would like your help if you can help me, one of the issues I would like to discuss with you is about the pins on the CPU , did you manage to find the pin on the motherboard that is short , my question is will it be possible to also find a way to avoid using tape to isolate the other pins on the CPU ??? if it is possible to find them on the motherboard we could disconnect them and install the 9700K without making any changes to the CPU !!!

Another question is , after I make all these changes to install the 9700K if I need for some reason to get my old 6700K back can I install it back without having to revert the changes ???

Finally , I would like to thank you for having shared your adventure here on the forum , it gave me more courage to also take risks in this task !!!

A big hug friend !!!

@dumaster
Hello @dumaster, thanks for the appreciation.
Now for your questions:

1. I was able to find the respective pins on the processor which were to be shorted by looking at the diagram from CoffeeTime. Later on, I figured out that the SuperIO controller is responsible for letting the board know that a CPU is present via the SKTOCC pin and hence grounded the SKTOCC pin with a wire from the nearest ground pad.

2. For pin isolation, Maximus VIII Hero does not need that, as the respective pins on the socket are not connected anywhere, same with the Maximus VIII Ranger. You can check this by very carefully using a multimeter and checking resistance to ground with the respective socket pins. Higher end boards like the Formula and Extreme series require pin isolation.

3. After the mod, you will be able to run any CPU from 6th gen to 9th gen without any issues, provided you have kept the required microcodes in the BIOS. You should be able to do that with Coffee Time. I have tested this and my old 7600K still works flawlessly.

Notes: If you can solder a wire like I did near the SuperIO chip, you won't need to do any modifications on the socket or the CPU at all and it will be plug and play for any 6th to 9th gen CPU. :)

Addendum:
After this mod, the only things left to do to make it a Z370/390 equivalent is:
1. Adding TPM 2.0 support - For full official Windows 11 compatibility
2. Adding resizable bar support.

After multiple tries trying to mod the BIOS to add Intel PTT (TPM) support, I was not successful as later on, I figured out it was disabled from within the chipset through FPF (Field Programmable Fuses). So I managed to get the original 14-1 pin TPM card.

20211027_153526.jpg

20211027_160605.jpg

Win11_TPM1.PNG

I am glad to say, TPM is fully functional. I have upgraded to Windows 11 on this setup and it runs flawlessly.

As for resizable bar support, I have not been able to figure it out yet. I tried porting it from other Z370/390 chipset based motherboard BIOSes but could not make the mod work so far.
Will keep this thread updated if I can find a solution. :)

Hello friend , thank you very much for replying quickly , after I read your post , run away and buy the 9700K :D

Thanks for your help and I will answer each topic you mentioned in your post below !!!

I figured out that the SuperIO controller is responsible for letting the board know that a CPU is present via the SKTOCC pin and hence grounded the SKTOCC pin with a wire from the nearest ground pad

I believe that in the case of my motherboard I should also easily find the pin to make the short next to the super i/o because I believe there is not much difference between your board and my board !!!

For pin isolation, Maximus VIII Hero does not need that

Fantastic news , when I read what you wrote I was extremely excited because not having to touch the processor was one of my biggest doubts as I am buying a new 9700K in the box and I want to keep the Intel warranty and would not want to touch anything on the processor , your answer that on my board it was only necessary to proceed with the short of the SKTOCC near the super i/o made me super happy !!!

you will be able to run any CPU from 6th gen to 9th gen without any issues

I'm going to follow your tutorial with Coffee Time because I want to keep the microcodes from the sixth to the ninth generation, these your answer says that it's possible after the mod use all the generations mentioned above made me very happy too !!!

Adding TPM 2.0 support

In the case of windows 11 in the future I will buy the TMP 2.0 card , for now I will use the ISO version of installation which disables the restrictions to test windows 11 , but my main system will keep windows 10 as I believe it is a mature system and 11 It is still in its infancy , I will wait a little longer for the 11 to be more mature and so I will update it , but I will appreciate the tip of the TPM 2.0 card !!!

resizable bar support

About the resize bar I will do research about it after I have the entire system working , but if you find something new post here , I believe everyone was happy , and if I find something that can help in this task I will also update here !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now it 's time to wait for the arrival of my new 9700K CPU to start work here , I am very happy that you have answered all my questions , and I wish you success and prosperity in your life for your willingness to share your knowledge to all of us in the community !! !

A big hug and a good weekend!!!

( sorry for any error in english , i'm not very good because i'm brazilian :D )

Hello friend , thank you very much for replying quickly , after I read your post , run away and buy the 9700K :D

Thanks for your help and I will answer each topic you mentioned in your post below !!!

I believe that in the case of my motherboard I should also easily find the pin to make the short next to the super i/o because I believe there is not much difference between your board and my board !!!

Fantastic news , when I read what you wrote I was extremely excited because not having to touch the processor was one of my biggest doubts as I am buying a new 9700K in the box and I want to keep the Intel warranty and would not want to touch anything on the processor , your answer that on my board it was only necessary to proceed with the short of the SKTOCC near the super i/o made me super happy !!!

I'm going to follow your tutorial with Coffee Time because I want to keep the microcodes from the sixth to the ninth generation, these your answer says that it's possible after the mod use all the generations mentioned above made me very happy too !!!

In the case of windows 11 in the future I will buy the TMP 2.0 card , for now I will use the ISO version of installation which disables the restrictions to test windows 11 , but my main system will keep windows 10 as I believe it is a mature system and 11 It is still in its infancy , I will wait a little longer for the 11 to be more mature and so I will update it , but I will appreciate the tip of the TPM 2.0 card !!!

About the resize bar I will do research about it after I have the entire system working , but if you find something new post here , I believe everyone was happy , and if I find something that can help in this task I will also update here !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now it 's time to wait for the arrival of my new 9700K CPU to start work here , I am very happy that you have answered all my questions , and I wish you success and prosperity in your life for your willingness to share your knowledge to all of us in the community !! !

A big hug and a good weekend!!!

( sorry for any error in english , i'm not very good because i'm brazilian :D )

Hi! Your English is perfect. :)

And you are right about the SKTOCC mod on your board as it has the exact same chip (Nuvoton NCT6793D). Just follow the trace from pin 102, find a pad where it connects and connect that pad with the nearest ground pad you find. ;)
It is easy to test it as well. Just connect power supply and do not install the processor and turn the board on. It should power on with Q-Code 00. This will indicate if your SKTOCC mod is successful. All the best and keep us updated. :)

Hugis

Staff member
System Name Office / Gamer Mk IV
Processor i5 - 12500
Motherboard TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 RGB
Memory 32GB (2x16) Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 "micron B die"
Video Card(s) UHD770 / PNY 4060Ti (www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-verto)
Storage P41Plat - SN770 - 980Pro - BX500
Display(s) Philips 246E9Q 75Hz @ 1920 * 1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC897 (On Board)
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold v2
Mouse Rii M01(3360Sensor)
Keyboard Logitech S530 - mac
Software Windows 11 Pro
Awesome stuff there :) great modding guide! and grats on your upgrade :clap: :toast:

It is easy to test it as well. Just connect power supply and do not install the processor and turn the board on. It should power on with Q-Code 00. This will indicate if your SKTOCC mod is successful. All the best and keep us updated.

Hello friend, with the correct mod Q-Code must be 00 and before making the mod SKTOCC which code should appear if I try to connect the card without cpu ??? or the board doesn't even turn on ??? do you remember ???

My 9700K should arrive later this week, any news I'll let you know around here!!!

A big hug and good week.

Hello friend, with the correct mod Q-Code must be 00 and before making the mod SKTOCC which code should appear if I try to connect the card without cpu ??? or the board doesn't even turn on ??? do you remember ???

My 9700K should arrive later this week, any news I'll let you know around here!!!

A big hug and good week.

Hello @dumaster, without mod, board should not turn on at all without CPU. After the mod, if successful, the board should start without CPU with Q-Code 00.
Wish you all the best and a great week ahead. :)

Last edited:
Hello @dumaster, without mod, board should not turn on at all without CPU. After the mod, if successful, the board should start without CPU with Q-Code 00.
Wish you all the best and a great week ahead. :)

Hello my friend itsakjt,

Sorry for taking so long to return to the topic to update my adventures here with Coffe and Z170, my CPU 9700K arrived some time ago, but I'm using my PC a lot for work and I haven't been able to disassemble the PC so far to be able to modify the SKTOCC on the motherboard, that's all I need, I made the mods in the BIOS already including everything necessary for the board to accept the 9700K, after I recorded the BIOS and put it back on the motherboard, it connected perfectly with my old 6700K, just missing even modifying the motherboard to short-circuit the SKTOCC to ground, let's see if for these weeks ahead I can find some time to do that !!!

Below is a print of my BIOS:

Print - CoffeeTime Prints.jpg

I also downloaded the Datasheet of the possible SuperIO from my motherboard (I still don't know the exact model of the SuperIO because you have to remove a plastic shield that is on top of it and it will only be possible after disassembling the entire PC)

But apparently Nuvoton adopts an identical pinout in this NTC679XD series (your X is 3 and mine is possibly 6) and I found out why without this SKTOCC signal connected to ground the board doesn't turn on, SuperIO depends on 3 signals that enter an OR Gate generating a ZERO output to the PSON pin on the power supply and this causes it to turn on the power supply, and one of these three signals is the SKTOCC as shown in the diagram of this sector on the SuperIO chip in the photo below .

1643405413073.png

in the photo where you made the modification I saw that you connected the SKTOCC pin directly to the ground, there a doubt arose, the resistor soldered there is one side connected to the SKTOCC and the other ???? is that the other side of the resistor is not connected to the SKTOCC pin of the cpu socket ???

I'm commenting on this because I saw in another forum a user soldering the resistor diagonally with that the resistor was between the ground and the SKTOCC of the SuperIO, I don't know which of the methods is the most correct or safest, but if the resistor is really between the SuperIO and Socket was nice to keep the resistor in the way between SKTOCC and Ground, it's something to think about!!!

1643406912826.png

Photo from the other forum showing this other modification option :

1643407124504.png

Source : https://community.hwbot.org/topic/1...-and-coffee-lake-cpus/page/17/#comment-582691

Sorry for the amount of messages and photos , but I would like to keep this topic alive so that we can discuss more about this subject and that new users can interact with us !!!

I will update here as soon as I can disassemble my PC, a big hug for you friend itsakjt !!!

Hello my friend itsakjt,

Sorry for taking so long to return to the topic to update my adventures here with Coffe and Z170, my CPU 9700K arrived some time ago, but I'm using my PC a lot for work and I haven't been able to disassemble the PC so far to be able to modify the SKTOCC on the motherboard, that's all I need, I made the mods in the BIOS already including everything necessary for the board to accept the 9700K, after I recorded the BIOS and put it back on the motherboard, it connected perfectly with my old 6700K, just missing even modifying the motherboard to short-circuit the SKTOCC to ground, let's see if for these weeks ahead I can find some time to do that !!!

Below is a print of my BIOS:

View attachment 234293

I also downloaded the Datasheet of the possible SuperIO from my motherboard (I still don't know the exact model of the SuperIO because you have to remove a plastic shield that is on top of it and it will only be possible after disassembling the entire PC)

But apparently Nuvoton adopts an identical pinout in this NTC679XD series (your X is 3 and mine is possibly 6) and I found out why without this SKTOCC signal connected to ground the board doesn't turn on, SuperIO depends on 3 signals that enter an OR Gate generating a ZERO output to the PSON pin on the power supply and this causes it to turn on the power supply, and one of these three signals is the SKTOCC as shown in the diagram of this sector on the SuperIO chip in the photo below .

View attachment 234294

in the photo where you made the modification I saw that you connected the SKTOCC pin directly to the ground, there a doubt arose, the resistor soldered there is one side connected to the SKTOCC and the other ???? is that the other side of the resistor is not connected to the SKTOCC pin of the cpu socket ???

I'm commenting on this because I saw in another forum a user soldering the resistor diagonally with that the resistor was between the ground and the SKTOCC of the SuperIO, I don't know which of the methods is the most correct or safest, but if the resistor is really between the SuperIO and Socket was nice to keep the resistor in the way between SKTOCC and Ground, it's something to think about!!!

View attachment 234297

Photo from the other forum showing this other modification option :

View attachment 234298

Source : https://community.hwbot.org/topic/1...-and-coffee-lake-cpus/page/17/#comment-582691

Sorry for the amount of messages and photos , but I would like to keep this topic alive so that we can discuss more about this subject and that new users can interact with us !!!

I will update here as soon as I can disassemble my PC, a big hug for you friend itsakjt !!!
Hello @dumaster, great news on modifying the BIOS.
As I can see from your BIOS file, you have a Maximus VIII Hero which has the exact same Super IO chip (Nuvoton NCT6793D). Based on the datasheet, SKTOCC needs to be pulled to ground for making the board power on. As for the resistor, I did think about that but the measured resistance was quite a bit and I was doubtful whether it would actually work and hence I bypassed the resistor. My system has been running from July 2021 without any issues and hence I believe this modification is perfectly safe both from knowledge and from information given on the datasheet. I have been using this system as my primary gaming and entertainment PC now (performs better on games than my Ryzen 5 3600 PC as on specs).
But either way of SKTOCC mod (both mine and the method you showed) should work and hence you can do whichever you are comfortable with. To be honest, I went with the method I did because I was not comfortable removing and reorienting the resistor in the risk of losing it.
Pro tip: You can use kapton tape surrounding the section around the area where you need to solder to be on the safe side. Once you are finished with the soldering, clean the section of solder flux with some isopropyl alcohol.

All the best and let us know once you have this system running.
Cheers. :toast:

Hello, I am BobbyBoyGaming from the YouTube comments, @itsakjt

Here is a link to google drive with a some photos of my mod. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DmBdBHC8XchKBh3kGiAZ_X81MZObNMef?usp=sharing

Please see google drive images for higher quality

I am still not very sure how to test this pin (with the question mark) to see if it is a ground pin. I took out the CPU and I tried using the multimeter, but it would show some weird numbers. What result do I have to see to know that it is a ground pin?

I can boot into the BIOS, but then the computer freezes when loading Windows... I also tried to boot from a USB for a fresh Windows Installation, and that failed as well.

I am afraid I have damaged my CPU :cry::(

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 397
Last edited:

aQi

I read somewhere that the mod actually makes issues when installing a cpu exceeding 8 threads. For those extending upto 8 cores. Hyper threading needs to be disabled. I am talking about Dan's mod over z270 motherboards

I read somewhere that the mod actually makes issues when installing a cpu exceeding 8 threads. For those extending upto 8 cores. Hyper threading needs to be disabled. I am talking about Dan's mod over z270 motherboards
I dont know who Dan is. Are you talking to me? If so, I thought CoffeeTime 0.99 already comes with full support for 16 threads.

@itsakjt
I already removed the kapton tape and copper tape from my 9900K, I am afraid I may have damaged my CPU. I will try to take some photos with a digital microscope i got online. I can redo the pin mod. But I dont want to risk further damage.

I may try to isolate more pins for my 3rd attempt. Ideally I would test the pins on the socket. If the reference pins show a non-infinite resistance then it means they must be isolated right?

I dont know if I have the skills or stamina to do all of the pins in the pin map. but I can maybe do the blue asrock and the red gigabyte that are near the blue asrock pins...

or I can just follow the image in this post and block all of the asrock/gigabyte pins (on the left side of the chip) and just give it a shot like that.

Reactions: aQi
Hello, I am BobbyBoyGaming from the YouTube comments, @itsakjt

Here is a link to google drive with a some photos of my mod. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DmBdBHC8XchKBh3kGiAZ_X81MZObNMef?usp=sharing

Please see google drive images for higher quality

I am still not very sure how to test this pin (with the question mark) to see if it is a ground pin. I took out the CPU and I tried using the multimeter, but it would show some weird numbers. What result do I have to see to know that it is a ground pin?

I can boot into the BIOS, but then the computer freezes when loading Windows... I also tried to boot from a USB for a fresh Windows Installation, and that failed as well.

I am afraid I have damaged my CPU :cry::(
Hi there is no way you have damaged your CPU.
Since you had the copper tape removed and still have the system turning on, your SKT_OCC mod is definitely successful. For the instability issue, are you using the latest BIOS and edited that with Coffee Time?

For troubleshooting, try increasing the voltages by 0.025V-0.35V for the CPU core and also VCCIO and System Agent voltage - Set to 1.18-1.22V.

Oh, no. There was a misunderstanding. I have not done a mod to the motherboard yet. What I meant to say is that I took off the pin mods because I freaked out and I thought I did some damage or something but It is okay, I can do the mod again, I am getting better at it xD.

Yes, my BIOS is fully modded like in your Youtube video.

I have more photos in this google drive, the photos show the BIOS and all that. I did not try booting into Windows with Hyper Threading disabled. I should try that...

1643724062265.png

1643724097386.png

What I still dont understand is this. Why does the official pin map say isolate blue pins for asrock,
1643724415355.png

but then another set of instructions say that I must isolate a different set of pins (only two pins versus 5+ pins?) Which instructions are the correct ones for a CoffeeLake 9900K R0 stepping
1643724523310.png

The other question is, Does coffeetime 0.99 support 16 threads for the 9900K on z170? How can I know if I have a "22nm board"? (maybe he meant to say 14nm and made a mistake?)
1643724707664.png

Last edited:
Oh, no. There was a misunderstanding. I have not done a mod to the motherboard yet. What I meant to say is that I took off the pin mods because I freaked out and I thought I did some damage or something but It is okay, I can do the mod again, I am getting better at it xD.

Yes, my BIOS is fully modded like in your Youtube video.

I have more photos in this google drive, the photos show the BIOS and all that. I did not try booting into Windows with Hyper Threading disabled. I should try that...

View attachment 234850
View attachment 234851

What I still dont understand is this. Why does the official pin map say isolate blue pins for asrock,
View attachment 234852
but then another set of instructions say that I must isolate a different set of pins (only two pins versus 5+ pins?) Which instructions are the correct ones for a CoffeeLake 9900K R0 stepping
View attachment 234853

The other question is, Does coffeetime 0.99 support 16 threads for the 9900K on z170? How can I know if I have a "22nm board"?
View attachment 234855
Hi. CoffeeTime 0.99 supports 16 thread CPUs on any motherboard.

Screenshot_20220201-195423168.jpg

Follow this image for correct pin mod. I am fairly certain increasing voltage a bit will make your system stable. Your BIOS basically fails to set the default proper voltage for CPU.

Ok I will try the new voltage and see if it helps!!
Also for pin isolation, yes you can check resistance to ground of each pin very carefully. If you get something other than infinite, it is connected somewhere and needs to be isolated.

As for the SKT_OCC, can you check what happens if you power on the board without the CPU installed?
Does it power on (fans spin)?
If yes, you don't need to do SKT_OCC mod. Not all motherboards need it and in many boards, SKT_OCC sense is not implemented.

Also, for the instability, try turning off C states and any other power saving features that are there and check if it becomes stable. Also try removing and reseating the memory modules.

Last edited:
Finally finished my third attempt at the pin mod... I hope it works...
I will not test it yet with the higher vcore and the c states off yet. I think I should try to carefully test the socket pins since the CPU is not installed

Which pins on the socket should test, only the asrock blue ones or also some other ones? What about the Yellow colored pins, they don't pertain to any specific motherboard?

Is it safe to use "automatic mode" on the multimeter or is this dangerous? I can set it manually to ohms mode. I dont have a ground pad but I have a big piece of steel metal.

1643769205521.png

Hi there,

Please find the pinout comparison between Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake:

1643772932247.png

I have marked the corresponding pins on the socket to test with multimeter. I am not sure about the automatic mode but continuity or diode mode should work.
Please find the pins marked in yellow under Coffee Lake.

Please note the following:

RSVD = Reserved
Vcc = Vcore
Vss= Ground

The pins which are reserved in Coffee Lake do not need to be checked as those pins are not used by the CPU at all.
The Vcc pins do need to be checked. Because ideally on your board, these Vcc pins are reserved (see Kaby Lake photo). But some boards have these pins grounded or connected somewhere (unlikely in case of ASUS/AsRock). To test - Place one probe of multimeter to any of the IO shield port covers and the other probe to each of these pins very carefully. If it beeps or shows some value, it needs to be isolated. If it is infinite resistance, no need to isolate.
The Vss pins do need to be checked. Place one probe of multimeter to any of the IO shield port covers and the other probe to each of these pins very carefully. If it shows some value except 0 (no resistance, continuous), it needs to be isolated. If it beeps (continuous) or shows infinite resistance, no need to isolate as these are ground pins anyway on Coffee Lake so should be fine.

Once tested, make modification accordingly. It is very likely you won't need any kind of mod to the CPU socket at all except for connecting SKT_OCC pin. For testing that, try powering on board without CPU installed. If it powers on (fans spin), no need to do SKT_OCC mod.

As for ground points on motherboard, here is an example:

1643773816222.png

aQi

I dont know who Dan is. Are you talking to me? If so, I thought CoffeeTime 0.99 already comes with full support for 16 threads.

@itsakjt
I already removed the kapton tape and copper tape from my 9900K, I am afraid I may have damaged my CPU. I will try to take some photos with a digital microscope i got online. I can redo the pin mod. But I dont want to risk further damage.

I may try to isolate more pins for my 3rd attempt. Ideally I would test the pins on the socket. If the reference pins show a non-infinite resistance then it means they must be isolated right?

I dont know if I have the skills or stamina to do all of the pins in the pin map. but I can maybe do the blue asrock and the red gigabyte that are near the blue asrock pins...

or I can just follow the image in this post and block all of the asrock/gigabyte pins (on the left side of the chip) and just give it a shot like that.
Never mind i was not following dsanke and i call him dan that is the person who started it all and now i know that he has been working all good to provide such support. Long live dsanke. I am looking forward for a z270 motherboard to house 9900k as these boards are cheap and power house.

Never mind i was not following dsanke and i call him dan that is the person who started it all and now i know that he has been working all good to provide such support. Long live dsanke. I am looking forward for a z270 motherboard to house 9900k as these boards are cheap and power house.
He is the MVP.