• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alienware m16 r1 - Undervolt & PTM7950

Alienware_Melting

Hi everyone, how you doing?

TL;DR: are wide differences in temperature between different Cores (up to 20° Celsius) indicative of bad application of PTM 7950?

Now, some context, I started this thread here months ago to learn how to unlock and undervolt my laptop in the title.

I managed to achieve what seemed to be stable -144 touching only CPu and cache, not the other stuff.

Months later I decide to get tools and open the inverted MB to repaste the CPU and GPU. I dind't change any thermal pad and I applied PTM7950 as instructed by the maker: apply it to the heatsink. I dind't make a blob, I dind't use just a little bit, I covered the entire area which is including also plenty of leftovers. I've one need many heat cycles to get the better out of PTM7950. I already did that, for aa week, plenty of Cinebench stress testing.

Now, the GPU I cannot complain, it stays cool enough never going much above 70C, but the CPU goes fast to close to 100, but half the cores are low 80s, almost the other half mid 80s, and 4 cores always around 10C above the second highest temps. Sometimes 79 vs 99 in total difference. I'm drawing close to 165 Watts but not quite, because the undervolt is now -160 (but I'm not sure it is stable); I believe the full wattage is never reached, it tops at ~157.8 Watts, but it triggers the POWER limit anyways (which is 165 Watts).

Anyways, I also notices that the FID for the lower temps goes 47x during Cinebench multicore, but stays are 37x for the higher temps, but even for those not in the 4 core group that heats like f*ck, it also stays 37x.

Anyway, not sure how @unclewebb made the core sorting algorithm.

Finally, yes my Cinebench score is better for the CPU, from 1705 with -75 undervolt and original paste to ~1950s. When I stop the test, temps fall almost instantly some 30C, so low 60s, but take a couple of minutes of top fan speed to go back to low 50s. GPU score in Cinebench is not that greatly affected by PTM7950 application alone.

So, here's the dilemma, to open this F$#@*% machine again will be such a PAIN since the wireless antennas are absolutely SoBs to connect both, in the 16 inches model, and close the entire thing with them not unplugging. This literally took me 90% of the entire service time, no joke.

Ok so here's some screenshots:
Screenshot 2024-09-11 143446.png
Screenshot 2024-09-11 161913.png
Screenshot 2024-09-11 162205.png

ps: Oh I've also changed IccMax from 230 to 240 amps but I'm not sure that does anything special and yeah now I noticed there are 2 wattage limits as in the last pic, MMIO is 157, MSR is the one 165. I don't know what those mean

ChemicalDruid

Regarding the some-cores-run-hotter-than-others issue, it seems to be either bad paste/pad application or just silicon lottery. I cannot judge your application so if you think it's good enough, then it's just silicon lottery left to explain things.

I might be wrong here - if anyone else wants to jump in, feel free.

Some more definitive advice follows:
Now, the GPU I cannot complain, it stays cool enough never going much above 70C, but the CPU goes fast to close to 100, but half the cores are low 80s, almost the other half mid 80s, and 4 cores always around 10C above the second highest temps. Sometimes 79 vs 99 in total difference. I'm drawing close to 165 Watts but not quite, because the undervolt is now -160 (but I'm not sure it is stable); I believe the full wattage is never reached, it tops at ~157.8 Watts, but it triggers the POWER limit anyways (which is 165 Watts).
No, the true PL is the lower of MSR and MMIO, as @unclewebb has stated several times in other posts. The proof: you stated it tops at 157.8 and your MMIO is set to 157.
Lesson: lock MMIO in Turbo Power Limits so that the (higher) MSR values (of 165 in your case) are used.

ps: Oh I've also changed IccMax from 230 to 240 amps but I'm not sure that does anything special and yeah now I noticed there are 2 wattage limits as in the last pic, MMIO is 157, MSR is the one 165. I don't know what those mean
Use the highest IccMax value possible, which should be 511.75 for your CPU (also endorsed by @unclewebb)
Besides what MSR and MMIO mean (which you can easily find yourself with a web search) what matters the most is that the CPU will use the lower of those figures in the pairs of PL1 and PL2. As stated above, if you Lock MMIO, 165 will be the limit for both, otherwise it will be 157 as is already happening for you.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: RX-7878
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT Gaming OC 16GB
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Regarding the some-cores-run-hotter-than-others issue, it seems to be either bad paste/pad application or just silicon lottery

Silicone lottery. Just like on some chips you'll have one or two cores that wont OC as well as all the others. If PTM is keeping the chip cool. There is nothing else the OP can do short of trying to replace his current chip with another which isnt going to be the easiest thing to do since its a laptop.