• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Acquire Silo AI to Expand Enterprise AI Solutions Globally

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
AMD today announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire Silo AI, the largest private AI lab in Europe, in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $665 million. The agreement represents another significant step in the company's strategy to deliver end-to-end AI solutions based on open standards and in strong partnership with the global AI ecosystem. The Silo AI team consists of world-class AI scientists and engineers with extensive experience developing tailored AI models, platforms and solutions for leading enterprises spanning cloud, embedded and endpoint computing markets.

Silo AI CEO and co-founder Peter Sarlin will continue to lead the Silo AI team as part of the AMD Artificial Intelligence Group, reporting to AMD senior vice president Vamsi Boppana. The acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2024.

"Across every industry, enterprises are looking for fast and effective ways to develop and deploy AI solutions for their unique business needs," said Vamsi Boppana, senior vice president of the Artificial Intelligence Group at AMD. "Silo AI's team of trusted AI experts and proven experience developing leadership AI models and solutions, including state-of-the-art LLMs built on AMD platforms, will further accelerate our AI strategy and advance the build-out and rapid implementation of AI solutions for our global customers."

Based in Helsinki, Finland, with operations in Europe and North America, Silo AI specializes in end-to-end AI-driven solutions that help customers integrate AI quickly and easily into their products, services and operations. Their work spans diverse markets, with customers including Allianz, Philips, Rolls-Royce and Unilever. Silo AI also creates state-of-the-art open source multilingual LLMs, such as Poro and Viking, on AMD platforms in addition to its SiloGen model platform.

"At Silo AI, our mission from the start has been to build an AI flagship company. Today's announcement is a logical next step in that pursuit as we join forces with AMD to shape the future of AI computing," said Peter Sarlin, CEO and co-founder of Silo AI. "We have a well-established history of building successful AI products and delivering value to our customers. We look forward to becoming part of AMD to further scale our impact and develop enterprise solutions and AI models that address the most complex challenges with deploying AI at scale today."

"As a leading European AI company, Silo AI has been a great long-term partner for us in many AI-related projects. We look forward to the enhanced capabilities the combination of AI technologies and innovative compute solutions from AMD will bring," said Nishant Batra, Chief Strategy and Technology Officer (CSTO), Nokia.

Silo AI marks the latest in a series of acquisitions and corporate investments to support the AMD AI strategy. AMD has invested over $125 million across a dozen AI companies in the last 12 months and also acquired Mipsology and Nod.ai to expand the AMD AI ecosystem, support partners and advance leadership AMD computing platforms.

"Silo AI has been a pioneer in scaling large language model training on LUMI, Europe's fastest supercomputer powered by over 12,000 AMD Instinct MI250X GPUs," said Dr. Pekka Manninen, Director of Science and Technology at CSC-IT Center for Science, Finland. "Together with university collaborators, they have trained state-of-the-art open-source models for EU languages, such as the Nordic Poro and Viking models. We have collaborated extensively with the team in optimizing the software layer, allowing for efficient training of AI models on LUMI."

"One year ago, Combient partnered with Silo AI, a leading AI lab with 300 AI scientists and engineers. Together with Marcus Wallenberg, we initiated Combient in 2015 to accelerate digitalization and AI adoption for 38 of the largest Nordic companies, with a total turnover of €270 billion, such as H&M, IKEA, Saab, KONE and Ericsson," said Mats Agervi, CEO of Combient. "Today's acquisition underscores the capabilities of Silo AI, opening up expanded opportunities for increased value creation in Europe and beyond."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Hmm, not sure what Lisa's goal is here. I guess they're going to provide turnkey solutions? Don't know that there is money in this, hell since AI hasn't turned anybody much of a profit. They need to produce moar gpus imo. GPU for AI market has a limited time as the giants in the field transition to dedicated silicon.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $665 million

Could have spent that money on hiring competent software developers LOL

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Let me guess: Automotive/self drive system, Banking/Insurance support, help communication/legal advice autonomy systems?
It's too late for Autos/ADAS at this point, only losers going to be contracting out for hw. Tesla has already shown the way to this and none of their hw is off the shelf. AMD however is a partner for Tesla's mediacenter chips. But I don't see how a good but snails pace moving company like AMD is going to compete for the dredges from Nvidia at this point.

It's too late for Autos/ADAS at this point... Tesla has already shown the way ...
No, in Europe only Bosch and Mercedes (S-Klasse) have a Class 4 autonomy driving permission:

And: https://www.roedl.de/themen/kompass-mobilitaet/2023/20/tesla-autopilot-kein-autonomes-fahren

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
No, in Europe only Bosch and Mercedes (S-Klasse) have a Class 4 autonomy driving permission:

And: https://www.roedl.de/themen/kompass-mobilitaet/2023/20/tesla-autopilot-kein-autonomes-fahren

You should probably google more as that system is trash. If that's your case that they just join the fray of crap providers... lol.

System Name Geil
Processor Ryzen 6900HS
Memory 16GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Radeon 6700S
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 120Hz 2560x1600
Software Windows 11 home premium
Could have spent that money on hiring competent software developers LOL

Silo's developers are working for AMD now. So they've done exactly that. Hired developers with experience.

I was going to say the same thing, I thought it was pretty obvious lol

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Silo's developers are working for AMD now. So they've done exactly that. Hired developers with experience.

What developers and what experience LOL.

AI developer with 1 year experience?

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
You are right, look how teslas "self driving" is learning:
Lmao, you got jack so you resort to trolling, using a BI article lmao? Shorts are losing their shirts down over 6B since June.

Still think AMD is way behind. Horowitz of A16Z is amassing 20K GPUs and leasing them out to startups. AMD still hasn't gotten the memo on this.

Low quality post by Neo_Morpheus
System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Damn, the AMD haters are out in full force.

And mind you, we are still missing the heavy hitters.

Anyways, hopefully this purchase helps them get ROCm/HIP and their corresponding hardware in high gear and ideally more sales.

Hmm, not sure what Lisa's goal is here. I guess they're going to provide turnkey solutions? Don't know that there is money in this, hell since AI hasn't turned anybody much of a profit. They need to produce moar gpus imo. GPU for AI market has a limited time as the giants in the field transition to dedicated silicon.

Acquihire.

Its not the "AI" that Lisa is interested in. She's interested in a large team of developers who know how to use AMD's MI250x GPUs to make something.

That "something" happened to be AI over the last few years (possibly as that team raised money), but moving forward the software engineering skills are the focus. The developers are always the focus in these kinds of acqui-hires, as people like to call them.

Low quality post by InVasMani
Damn, the AMD haters are out in full force.

And mind you, we are still missing the heavy hitters.

Anyways, hopefully this purchase helps them get ROCm/HIP and their corresponding hardware in high gear and ideally more sales.

Time after time from the same individuals that continue to ooze with bias and don't care to objective and simply want to disparage AMD every single time. Every company has some faults, but some people are like a broken record. I'm this has as much to do about AI as it does with AMD hiring a bunch of additional talented tech savvy developers that can be put to good use in a lot area's for AMD.

We already know AMD is shifting it's focus more towards bolstering the software side of it's company because that's where Lisa Su and the company has come to terms needs to improve the most. The hardware is only as good as the software and the software is only as good as the hardware. They want a better equilibrium to me is what it seems like. Fix the weaker elements of design for software and hardware. I think it absolutely plays into the strengths of Xilinix and FPGA's as well. AI could absolutely make that technology more beneficial.

They need something akin to blender nodes for FPGA technology to configure it for different purposes easily and adjust things about it that's simply and easy and anyone can leverage with a minimal amount of effort. Like use it for a DSP chip some of the the time use it to enhance upscale or ray tracing other times and being able to just dynamically adjust it to taste like I want more upscale or want I more ray tracing or I want better sound processing. That's 100% the advantage of FPGA's in no small part they can be put to use many ways for different purposes being re-programmable Lego blocks of sorts. AI will make different things easier too so there is a nice synergy with AI and FPGA's.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I am interested to see how this move pans out for AMD. They evidently want the biggest slice of the AI pie, but I fear by the time they can do a whole lot that is meaningful with this acquisition, the bubble may have burst - the sooner the better, who else is sick of hearing/reading about "AI"? It would also take quite a while of kicking goals for them to alter the mindshare, time will tell if it's money well spent but good luck to them, they'll need a bit of that too.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
AMD has plenty of things it would be better spending this kind of money on. Like competent driver/software devs, more capacity at TSMC, better GPU engineers etc... All of which would benefit AMD more.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Myeah.... its all bullshit because the key issues remain unsolved, mainly insurance/responsibility, the uncanny valley issue, and the general fact people really don't want half the road filled with autonomous and the other with regular vehicles. Its going to be an immense shitshow and it will never happen until we can let everything drive autonomously. I'm smelling a Google Glass / VR / Metaverse (or insert any other hype tech of the last 10 years) failure here. Its never really gonna happen.

Class 4 is perfectly useless. Class 5 is where we should be at, and nobody has it. Of course Germany is trying their bestest to show the world they're still leading in automotive, but we all know they're not. They were good at ICEs. They, so far, SUCK, at EVs compared to the competition abroad. They move too slowly. Even the French make better EVs now (drove a Renault Megane the other day. VW's platform feels immature in comparison and VAG generally just sucks when it comes to overall cost/options packages). There's a strong chance my next lease EV will be a BYD Seal (U).... I kid you not. Or a Tesla Model Y long range. They're just better in every metric including price.

AMD has plenty of things it would be better spending this kind of money on. Like competent driver/software devs, more capacity at TSMC, better GPU engineers etc... All of which would benefit AMD more.

AMD's GPUs are already rivaling those of NVidia's. The only problem is the software.

And this IS how companies acquire driver/software devs. You go out, find companies who make software, and buy out the whole company. As I stated earlier: Acqui-hires are a tradition in Silicon Valley.

Anyone who builds a team of 300+ developers gets bought out at hundreds-of-millions, because the team is worthwhile together and not as piecemeal hires. Sure, some will leave because many preferred working for a small company but the vast majority of the team stays and continues to write software for the larger company.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
AMD's GPUs are already rivaling those of NVidia's. The only problem is the software.

Not just the software. AMD needs to improve the hardware side of their ray tracing. It's not critical yet but it will be more and more important as the years go by. Not trying to start a value of RT debate. The real answer to that is looking at what both AMD and Intel are claiming are important in their next GPU generations to see the answer. AMD has said in an article here that they will be improving that considerably in the next gen. Have to wait for reviews to see but I don't doubt it. If they are focused on the hardware and software side then it could be an upset for Nvidia. Probably not like the AMD delivered wake up call to Intel level event but we'll see soon.

RT is getting to the point where it should become modestly acceptable especially at the mid range and high end. Upscale is certainly helping with that a bit. This coming generation should be a nice general improvement though the one after is where I see RT really thriving more readily and being a nice feature to insert into games a bit more actively w/o it feeling a bit over compromising. It's still going to be a performance hit, but the generation after this one I suspect RT will start to look and feel rather impressive at least on better mid range to top end SKU's in particular.

I think we'll see lots of changes in between to different things like upscale, but also post process in general will be better optimized, refined, and improved which will help.