• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amp/Dac & Adapters for HD6XX?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
So the Senn HD6XX are finally getting stretched out enough for longer listening and have some spare coin.

from most sites the Fiio K7 seems decent for the money.

However the 6xx has a 3.5mm jack. Just wondering what’s best way to connect this? Get a 4.4mm balanced adapter to 3.5mm or get a 6.4mm adapter for the other port?

also can the Fiio do straight amp? Would it be better to amp the analog signal or use an optical and the dac? Any elcheapo cables and adapters good or any specific brands?

thanks

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
The DX3+ pro measures bad but doesn't have a balanced output if you care about that. Price should be similar to the k7 but depends on the region i guess.

Not to sound rude, I am not able to compare products, but I would NOT pay £609 for analogue input headphones (just emitters). The Logitech Z906 digital class-d [full kit] is only £300 or so new.

Balanced connection vs unbalanced: What's the difference? - SoundGuys (it would suggest balanced for power based signals, HD600 balanced cables also exist).

"Would it be better to amp the analog signal or use an optical and the dac?" Optical, immune to interference (EMI, RFI), long range, cheaper than copper.

----

The K7 has digital inputs and specifies Hi-Res audio. I've had comments like 'Just bought new headphones' with [existing] headphones and digital sound processing (drivers).
Plugging in £609 analogue input headphones into a £5 analogue output card will produce cheap sound, regardless of the price of the emitters (headphones).

You can probably trial Boom3D, and then turn around and say 'That sounds better', with your [existing hardware], due to digital processing.

----

E1DA PowerDAC V2 is a very weird DAC! (youtube.com) | Think the newer version supports both balanced-unbalanced.
With my driver package I provide a 'Win CAudio' fix, fixing what was commented in the video.

Comment: "Also the Powerdac pairs great with the hd600. Haven't heard any better DAC/Amp for it."

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Not to sound rude, I am not able to compare products, but I would NOT pay £609 for analogue input headphones (just emitters). The Logitech Z906 digital class-d [full kit] is only £300 or so new.

Balanced connection vs unbalanced: What's the difference? - SoundGuys (it would suggest balanced for power based signals, HD600 balanced cables also exist).

"Would it be better to amp the analog signal or use an optical and the dac?" Optical, immune to interference (EMI, RFI), long range, cheaper than copper.

----

The K7 has digital inputs and specifies Hi-Res audio. I've had comments like 'Just bought new headphones' with [existing] headphones and digital sound processing (drivers).
Plugging in £609 analogue input headphones into a £5 analogue output card will produce cheap sound, regardless of the price of the emitters (headphones).

You can probably trial Boom3D, and then turn around and say 'That sounds better', with your [existing hardware], due to digital processing.

----

E1DA PowerDAC V2 is a very weird DAC! (youtube.com) | Think the newer version supports both balanced-unbalanced.
With my driver package I provide a 'Win CAudio' fix, fixing what was commented in the video.

Comment: "Also the Powerdac pairs great with the hd600. Haven't heard any better DAC/Amp for it."
Good info. More back ground. In Canada.
Got the HD6XX from mass drop on sale about $300 CAD. Yes will be using with my motherboard onboard sound mostly for now. Fiio K7 is available for about $270cad. Just has multiple outputs. That 4.4mm got me as a bit strange.

That's a reasonable price, what's the motherboard? I might be able to set you up with the same driver pack if you are interested at all (click here, or here if USB).
For external converters, you want to use the digital input, else the analogue source is still the motherboard DAC and amp.

It will also be true that the source is the motherboard when it comes to optical (SPDIF), but its more 'raw-to-transmission' than analogue.
The normal use for SPDIF-Optical is to simply output the source (app-game) to the next device (receiver).

Digital audio is stored and processed in PCM format, which means additional PCM processing can be added to SPDIF-Optical.

----

Boom3D is also a PCM processor, but also acts as the main default device, which is set to passthrough to the selected physical device.

Example: App/Game > Boom3D (PCM, digital processing) > Passthrough > SPDIF > Receiver.

====

"That 4.4mm got me as a bit strange." I have seen various bespoke connections, even the creative ones.

Of what advantage is 4.4mm Terminator over a 3.5 or 2.5mm Terminator? | hifive.sg

If you are buying ferrite beads, 5mm for most USB cables, I have 3mm on my speaker cables.

Last edited: