• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any other game like resident evil 1?

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
The resident evil was an iconic game with it's atmosphere, soundtrack, game play and so on.. even after 25 years, people still play and enjoy this masterpiece.
So is there any other game that could make me feel the similar atmosphere? I've found some games below, which are also great, but I also wanted to hear your suggestions.
1. Black mirror
2. Alone in the dark
3. Tormented fathers

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
The Evil Mansion

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE White
Memory TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon Rx 6800
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
Power Supply Corsair RM750x SHIFT
System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
The Evil Mansion

Don't hope it to not be the buggiest of all Skyrim mods anyway !

//

Fatal Frame aka Project Zero (EU)

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Extermination (2001) (PS2)
Can't say it was great but it was similar to Resident Evil.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Yes! There are!

Survival horror games are sort of going through a second golden age renaissance as of the last five years or so in my opinion.

If you haven't played them yet, the Resident Evil 2 2019 and Resident Evil 3 2020 remakes are worth it. The former is far better overall as a remake, as the latter had a bit too many omissions and changes, but I still say it's a good game. If you like the remake of 2, you probably won't be disappointed with 3 if you get it on sale, even if you don't like it as much.

Resident Evil 0 (PC) and Code Veronica (PlayStation 2, Dreamcast) are close enough. I'd say it shifts to something else entirely starting with 4, but 0 and Code Veronica are close enough to the original trilogy.

Dino Crysis was already mentioned, but it and Dino Crysis 2 are worth mentioning because it's worth repeating. It also comes from Capcom, and it's basically "Resident Evil with dinosaurs instead of zombies", but there's enough other differences besides that to keep it fresh enough, while being close enough. If you like Resident Evil, you'll probably like this. I can't speak for any later installments in the series though. Between the two, the second is a bit more "arcade action", but it's not bad. If you think of the differences between Resident Evil 2 and 3 where the latter was a bit more focused on action, but still survival horror, it's a bit like that between these two. I hope Capcom remembers these and gives them the recent Resident Evil remake treatment.

On PC, there's a lot of good gems.

There's Them and Us, which is definitely Resident Evil inspired and has a choice between fixed perspective or over the shoulder.

Alisa is an imitation of the old formula and also the old PlayStation era visuals. I love it for its "Alice" (series) and "Clockwork Tower" vibes, but that doesn't mean it's exactly like either of those games. It more has its roots in being a throwback to a Resident Evil style game, but it's not just a mere clone.

The Hotel is another Resident Evil inspired clone, but I haven't played it so I don't have much to say for it. Why am I recommending it, then? I bought it but haven't gotten around to it yet, and on the surface it looks like a good example of what you're asking for, and has positive reviews. It's the one I can't yet vouch for, but I figured I'd add it despite that.

I couldn't not mention Tormented Souls (and it has a sequel coming!). Very good production value and presentation, gameplay is smooth and good, but I found the puzzles difficult. Contrasted to this, the game's own difficulty is on the easier side. Most of the player base seems to tell you that you are wrong if you find the puzzles hard, which is off-putting, but the puzzle difficulty didn't stop me from enjoying the game (although I used a guide at points, which I try to avoid...). The story is surprisingly very good and has some neat twists, and there's multiple endings with replayability, and it has modern-esque and good visuals. If it imitated Silent Hill 3's puzzle difficulty and offered easier alternatives, I'd say it is almost perfection.

If I had to recommend only one, I'd say Tormented Souls, although Them and Us might be more of a closer clone to Resident Evil if you want exactly that, so it depends on what you want. Both are great, and all of the others are worth a mention (or else I wouldn't have done so).

The following are possible upcoming games...

Echoes of the Living looks very Resident Evil-esque.

Heartworm isn't exactly a Resident Evil clone, but like Alisa, it's definitely an imitation of the genre and the original game's visuals while being its own thing. Instead of guns, you use a camera, which may sound like Fatal Frame. It has a demo, if you want to try.

If you're willing to look at something a little more Silent Hill-esque, there the upcoming Silent Hill 2 remake (and I'd obviously recommend the original trilogy and even the forth one, with the third one being my personal favorite [I haven't played the second though, and that's often considered the other one that's contender for the best in the series]), and then this gem by the name of Post Trauma.

I played the demo and fell in love, but a word on this one is that this was about two years ago and development seems (key word) slow. This is not a complaint and not a claim it is in limbo. Maybe I'm just not properly keeping up where the updates are being made and it's coming along fine, if slow, but it's the one that doesn't seem to have an approximate launch date, so temper expectations. If it releases and if it resembles anything like the demo I played (albeit short), it'll basically be a Silent Hill love letter.

There's no end of other survival horror titles in the 2020s! The genre really is kicking right now. These are just the ones I can vouch for, but there's plenty of others that are no doubt good.

Last edited:
System Name MSI-MEG
Memory 32 GB
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Yes! There are!

Survival horror games are sort of going through a second golden age renaissance as of the last five years or so in my opinion.

If you haven't played them yet, the Resident Evil 2 2019 and Resident Evil 3 2020 remakes are worth it. The former is far better overall as a remake, as the latter had a bit too many omissions and changes, but I still say it's a good game. If you like the remake of 2, you probably won't be disappointed with 3 if you get it on sale, even if you don't like it as much.

Resident Evil 0 (PC) and Code Veronica (PlayStation 2, Dreamcast) are close enough. I'd say it shifts to something else entirely starting with 4, but 0 and Code Veronica are close enough to the original trilogy.

Dino Crysis was already mentioned, but it and Dino Crysis 2 are worth mentioning because it's worth repeating. It also comes from Capcom, and it's basically "Resident Evil with dinosaurs instead of zombies", but there's enough other differences besides that to keep it fresh enough, while being close enough. If you like Resident Evil, you'll probably like this. I can't speak for any later installments in the series though. Between the two, the second is a bit more "arcade action", but it's not bad. If you think of the differences between Resident Evil 2 and 3 where the latter was a bit more focused on action, but still survival horror, it's a bit like that between these two. I hope Capcom remembers these and gives them the recent Resident Evil remake treatment.

On PC, there's a lot of good gems.

There's Them and Us, which is definitely Resident Evil inspired and has a choice between fixed perspective or over the shoulder.

Alisa is an imitation of the old formula and also the old PlayStation era visuals. I love it for its "Alice" (series) and "Clockwork Tower" vibes, but that doesn't mean it's exactly like either of those games. It more has its roots in being a throwback to a Resident Evil style game, but it's not just a mere clone.

The Hotel is another Resident Evil inspired clone, but I haven't played it so I don't have much to say for it. Why am I recommending it, then? I bought it but haven't gotten around to it yet, and on the surface it looks like a good example of what you're asking for, and has positive reviews. It's the one I can't yet vouch for, but I figured I'd add it despite that.

I couldn't not mention Tormented Souls (and it has a sequel coming!). Very good production value and presentation, gameplay is smooth and good, but I found the puzzles difficult. Contrasted to this, the game's own difficulty is on the easier side. Most of the player base seems to tell you that you are wrong if you find the puzzles hard, which is off-putting, but the puzzle difficulty didn't stop me from enjoying the game (although I used a guide at points, which I try to avoid...). The story is surprisingly very good and has some neat twists, and there's multiple endings with replayability, and it has modern-esque and good visuals. If it imitated Silent Hill 3's puzzle difficulty and offered easier alternatives, I'd say it is almost perfection.

If I had to recommend only one, I'd say Tormented Souls, although Them and Us might be more of a closer clone to Resident Evil if you want exactly that, so it depends on what you want. Both are great, and all of the others are worth a mention (or else I wouldn't have done so).

The following are possible upcoming games...

Echoes of the Living looks very Resident Evil-esque.

Heartworm isn't exactly a Resident Evil clone, but like Alisa, it's definitely an imitation of the genre and the original game's visuals while being its own thing. Instead of guns, you use a camera, which may sound like Fatal Frame. It has a demo, if you want to try.

If you're willing to look at something a little more Silent Hill-esque, there the upcoming Silent Hill 2 remake (and I'd obviously recommend the original trilogy and even the forth one, with the third one being my personal favorite [I haven't played the second though, and that's often considered the other one that's contender for the best in the series]), and then this gem by the name of Post Trauma.

I played the demo and fell in love, but a word on this one is that this was about two years ago and development seems (key word) slow. This is not a complaint and not a claim it is in limbo. Maybe I'm just not properly keeping up where the updates are being made and it's coming along fine, if slow, but it's the one that doesn't seem to have an approximate launch date, so temper expectations. If it releases and if it resembles anything like the demo I played (albeit short), it'll basically be a Silent Hill love letter.

There's no end of other survival horror titles in the 2020s! The genre really is kicking right now. These are just the ones I can vouch for, but there's plenty of others that are no doubt good.
Thanks million for this excellent guide!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle?

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

System Name MSI-MEG
Memory 32 GB
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
If you want something that’s still a survival horror, but rather different from RE in that it’s not really a “gun game”, then the really cool undervalued series is Fatal Frame. Your combat method is using a camera to take pictures of ghosts. It’s much better than it sounds like. The best game in the series is Fatal Frame 2, in my opinion, but they are all solid and quite a departure from the usual fare.

Honorable mention goes to Kuon, a game by From Software, of all people, back from the period when they did a lot of experimenting before making Demons Souls repeatedly being known for their current output. It’s a curious spell card based take on survival horror combat.

ir_cow

Staff member
Fatal Frame is awesome! Some good jump scares. Might not hold up today though

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Honestly, I replayed it on an emulator just last year and it absolutely does hold up, at least the original trilogy. There’s something about that era of graphics that just aged gracefully and feels actually “more modern” than, say, the PS360 gen games. Hell, I’d say that 2 and 3 especially are gorgeous by whatever standards you apply.

But hey, there’s a modern-ish rendition too, Fatal Frame 5 is on PC and is the latest game in the series. It’s pretty damn good, if flawed. The story also somewhat relies on the understanding of events from 1 and 3, but it isn’t necessary to enjoy it.

Since I haven’t mentioned it, I am probably the least fond of FF4. It’s not a bad game, just felt very drawn out and it has my least favorite environment of the series.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Fear Effect.

That's all I got, but man what a weird (-ly beloved) game (to me) it is.

System Name MSI-MEG
Memory 32 GB
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
You play it on PC? Is there any PC ver of fatal frame?

ir_cow

Staff member
Maybe. I played them all originally on console. emulation exists as a option too.

You play it on PC? Is there any PC ver of fatal frame?
There's at least two of them on Steam, but they are the more recent ones to my knowledge, which are apparently a bit different from the older ones? I only played the second one back on the PlayStation 2 so I can't comment on the franchise as a whole.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
1 had a better Xbox version, 2 had a WII "remade" alternate version, 3 is PS2, 4 looks good, 5 is bad game.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Forbidden Siren / Siren (PS2 / PS3)
Gregory Horror Show (PS2)

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Case 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
2Dark

By the AitD dev.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
The Evil Within 1&2, the 1st game had the director/producer from RE1&2.
I would say Dead Space 1 had the atmospheric feeling like RE, while 2 felt more in-between RE3&4.
Dead space 3 is just straight up RE5&6, more action focus and added in "co-op".

Oh, I have no idea how I failed to mention Dead Space in my original reply. While it's not quite like Resident Evil 1, but it's pretty close to the style the remakes and some of the newer ones (not 4 through 6) have taken. I started Dead Space 2 three times... and stopped all three times. What's odd is there was nothing about the game putting me off. At all. i just never finished it. And I loved the first one, and the second seemed (mostly) the same. I heard bad things about the third one.

The original one even has a remake but I never tried it.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403