• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any risks of using a card with a mining bios?

AGreatFlood

hi!
very recently (basically today) i got my RX 5600 XT that i bought some days back second hand and put it in my system, it works beautifully and thermals are good! but upon checking gpu-z for curiosity, i see this in the AMD BIOS section:
1729090091289.png

i wasnt aware that it couldve been a mining card (the seller has a lot of history, so i didnt think much about it) i compared my bios (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/268204/268204) to the stock, unmodified Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT one and i noticed the only real changes were the memory timings, but im unsure if there are any other risks that id need to watch out for?
looking for that string in the Part # section only tells me that it was a website that used to host modded mining bioses, namely for the 5600 XT

very sorry if this sounds like a tin foil hat post, but ive never been in a situation like this before! i just wanna know if im running any particular risks (be it instability or malware, even, but i doubt its that serious!) by running this card with a mining bios

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hi!
very recently (basically today) i got my RX 5600 XT that i bought some days back second hand and put it in my system, it works beautifully and thermals are good! but upon checking gpu-z for curiosity, i see this in the AMD BIOS section:View attachment 367824
i wasnt aware that it couldve been a mining card (the seller has a lot of history, so i didnt think much about it) i compared my bios (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/268204/268204) to the stock, unmodified Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT one and i noticed the only real changes were the memory timings, but im unsure if there are any other risks that id need to watch out for?
looking for that string in the Part # section only tells me that it was a website that used to host modded mining bioses, namely for the 5600 XT

very sorry if this sounds like a tin foil hat post, but ive never been in a situation like this before! i just wanna know if im running any particular risks (be it instability or malware, even, but i doubt its that serious!) by running this card with a mining bios
It won't game due to ram timings being too high, instability. Also mining cards are typically abused.

If anything, I suggest first is to get a picture of the white pn/sku sticker on the card and post it here, also since you are in gpu-z with advanced tab click on amdbios and locate anything relating to specific ram used on the card and get a screenshot of that. Then screenshot the general tab please.

AGreatFlood

It won't game worth a hoot due to ram timings being too high
im sorry but what do you mean with worth a hoot due??

It won't game due to ram timings being too high, instability. Also mining cards are typically abused.

If anything, I suggest first is to get a picture of the white pn/sku sticker on the card and post it here, also since you are in gpu-z with advanced tab click on amdbios and locate anything relating to specific ram used on the card and get a screenshot of that. Then screenshot the general tab please.
ive posted a screenshot of the AMD Bios section already, but this is my general tab:
1729091284654.png

for the condition and temperatures they are really good!! so it doesnt seem too abused, i also talked to the seller about it beforehand and on that note all is good!

is it really not suitable for gaming with this bios? ive tried some heavy games (shadow of the tomb raider, borderlands 3) and they all ran fine so im not sure if im missing something... im pretty scared to flash since i dont have an extra card i could plugin, plus this card costed me a ton so theres not a lot of room for error :(
my only experience with it was with my old HD 7950, so im not sure if i have to change tools to something more specific for Navi.. if with this bios its really not doable, please guide me with on how i could safely flash it back to stock!!

also for the sticker, would i have to take the card apart?

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
hi!
very recently (basically today) i got my RX 5600 XT that i bought some days back second hand and put it in my system, it works beautifully and thermals are good! but upon checking gpu-z for curiosity,
Then stop worrying and just play.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Probably slower clock rates, lower power consumption and lower FPS.
Nothing to worry about.