• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

anyone use a sony xz3? PD vs QC

my concern about the phone is the crappy charging and it says PD charging

not sure what the difference between power deliver and quick charge as Im looking for a PD charger (for purchase of this used phone) and they note PD AND QC

I dont know if they are interchangeable or the sellers are bullshetting and just writing both so you you think they are.

im curious what were the weak features of the phone you didnt like

I always purchase older phones. many LG phones. using an lg v20 now which I love. I love swapping batteries on the go. EU has implemented a law to allow replacing batteries easily but hope some mfr will go back to swappable batteries. going from 5% to 100% in a minute is fantastiic.

im not considering the sony to replace my v20 but for my 2nd line. dont care for samsung or any chinese brand. no need to recommend them.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
not sure what the difference between power deliver and quick charge as Im looking for a PD charger (for purchase of this used phone) and they note PD AND QC
No difference at all. Both protocols cap out at 12V 1.5A. If you get a generic 18W or 22.5W charger - it will usually support both, so for you as a user it makes no difference which protocol it uses. Even cheap crappy 18W chargers usually have at least QC3.0 and PD2.0 support.

I do not have an XZ3, but we have a bunch of XZ2/ XZ2 Premium at work(all of them are very-very similar from the "fundamental issues" point of view), and I've fixed few XZ3's at my workshop as well. As a phone it's fine, but these always come with a bunch of problems:
1) Batteries on all of them since XZ1 and Z1 are abysmal. Not only are these the smallest batteries comparing to competition of that time, they also puff-up like crazy(especially when actively used), and today there aren't many good quality replacements(if any).
2) Screens are still expensive, especially on "XZ* Premium" variants.
3) Most infuriating of all - charging port issues. Most of our Sony phones had the infamous "moisture detected" problem. Cleaning the charging port doesn't help. Only replacement.
4) Antiglare coating on camera glass wears out over time. I know it happens on all phones, but Sony somehow manages to do it faster than even my old HTC One M7.
5) It applies to most older used phones: you never know how it was used before you. Even if it looks pristine, something as simple as getting a phone after a kid who installed every possible game on play market and photoed every aspect of his "interesting" life, while keeping NAND nearly 99.9% full may cause your phone to die prematurely and unexpectedly.

To be honest - I'd avoid older Sony phones at all costs. Not for personal use.
I'd rather look for anything running SD870. These phones are already old enough to become cheap, but not too old to be obsolete or in dire need of service and parts replacements. Plus 870 is quite energy-efficient. In my opinion it's wa-a-ay better than SD888 or SD8 Gen 1. Does not overheat, never throttles, always stable. There is one problem, though... it won't fit into your "no chinese brands " criteria, cause it's mostly used in a later "semi-flagship" and mid-hi-end devices, while all major brands stuck with earlier SD865 or moved on to SD888.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
my concern about the phone is the crappy charging and it says PD charging

I dont know if they are interchangeable or the sellers are bullshetting and just writing both so you you think they are.

im curious what were the weak features of the phone you didnt like

I always purchase older phones. many LG phones. using an lg v20 now which I love. I love swapping batteries on the go. EU has implemented a law to allow replacing batteries easily but hope some mfr will go back to swappable batteries. going from 5% to 100% in a minute is fantastiic.

im not considering the sony to replace my v20 but for my 2nd line. dont care for samsung or any chinese brand. no need to recommend them.
It does say PD 2.0 in the specs over on GSMArena (your link).

Proud owner of an XZ1 Compact btw. :)

thanks for the assistance. only interested in the xz3. dont care for chinese /samsung phones for many reasons. is the xz3 made in china?

what if I use someting like this?

doesnt that let the phone charged faster?

battery life you say is abysmal but sites show it as having very/good battery life. so not sure what to think I will disagree regarding replacing batteries as I have done so on a few phones and I have purchased 4 recently for my v20. and they work just fine.

And we have to say, the XZ3 definitely delivers. Perhaps not quite the astonishing improvement over the XZ2, we were hoping for, but the XZ3 still won't fail to last you through an entire day.

It does say PD 2.0 in the specs over on GSMArena (your link).

Proud owner of an XZ1 Compact btw. :)

curious though if you blast it with a higher power PD charger does it make any difference?

so youre like me who likes older phones? im no sucker to buy phones at the prices thy sell today. you have to be an idiot to pay 800+ for a phone. its just sheer idiocy

I absoolutely hate the phone designs they have today. the ugly bumps that looks like a tumor growth on the back. all the same , way too long design. the v20 I have has a nice wider aspect ratio that feels so right vs the long phones. horrendous. Im trying to pickup tons of older phones to hold me over for the next 20+ years. I simply hate new phone designs and even the creppy android updates. terrible.

one guy is selling an xz2 compact now and they can be bought cheap from alx. I may pick that one up too. curious how I will get along with a 5" screen though

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling converted Eisbär 280, two F14 + three F12S intake, two P14S + two P14 + two F14 as exhaust
Memory 16 GB Corsair LPX bdie @3600/16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@inquisitor1
there are some, charger wise QC tends to use usb-a port, and PD doing usb-c, and they dont charge the other one as fast as their tech, QC (at least for 2 and up) usually tends to have more voltage steps, so you tend to have a better chance of not getting put in the slowest charging tier just because the device doesnt do "100w in 5s", and with larger batteries (8-10000 mAh) can lead to much longer charging.
seen it after i bought a charger with display, supporting both types with different ports (as mentioned), and using PD on a QC tablet almost took 4h vs ~3h.

problem is, batteries degrade faster the faster you charge, as well as not using the last ~10% (full use of charge/discharge capacity), as it stresses the batteries more. than multiple cycles that stay within 10-80(90)% range.
part of the reason why the team i worked with at sony (mil channel), recommended to have the option to stop charging devices at less than 100%, and later mobile devices showing "full" battery led (green) at 90% (optional 80%) charge, so ppl would put less stress on them.

sorry, edit.

@silentbogo
while i never bought used (only new or mfc refurbished) never had any trouble since the Z, with batteries lasting 3-5y as long as properly used/maintained (i use phones for calls, lol), my 3y old XZs still sees use as a backup.

Last edited:
System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 LBC
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
@inquisitor1
there are some, charger wise QC tends to use usb-a port, and PD doing usb-c, and they dont charge the other one as fast as their tech, QC (at least for 2 and up) usually tends to have more voltage steps, so you tend to have a better chance of not getting put in the slowest charging tier just because the device doesnt do "100w in 5s", and with larger batteries (8-10000 mAh) can lead to much longer charging.
seen it after i bought a charger with display, supporting both types with different ports (as mentioned), and using PD on a QC tablet almost took 4h vs ~3h.

problem is, batteries degrade faster the faster you charge, as well as not using the last ~10% (full use of charge/discharge capacity), as it stresses the batteries more. than multiple cycles that stay within 10-80(90)% range.

@silentbogo
while i never bought used (only new or mfc refurbished) never had any trouble since the Z, with batteries lasting 3-5y as long as properly used/maintained (i use phones for calls, lol), my 3y old XZs still sees use as a backup.
can you please recommend a brand/charger you are happy with and does the charger have multiple information to analyze whats happening?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling converted Eisbär 280, two F14 + three F12S intake, two P14S + two P14 + two F14 as exhaust
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@inquisitor1
maybe the LG V60? 5000mAh battery.
got it after sony decided to go bananas on good camera phones (OIS) when it comes to price/form factor/battery.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@inquisitor1
look for this kind, they sell them in almost all countries online (amazon etc).
seem to be pretty good, friend decided to charge his macbook (60w), charger just shutdown and reset after unplugging, instead of crapping out.

QC3.0/PD3.0

Last edited:
System Name Office / HP Prodesk 490 G3 MT (ex-office)
Processor Intel 13700 (90° limit) / Intel i7-6700
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H770 Pro / HP 805F H170
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S / Stock
Memory G. Skill Trident XMP 2x16gb DDR5 6400MHz cl32 / Samsung 2x8gb 2133MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC GDDR6X / Zotac GTX 1650 GDDR6 OC
Storage Samsung 2tb 980 PRO MZ / Samsung SSD 1TB 860 EVO + WD blue HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan EV2455 - 1920x1200 / Panasonic TX-32LS490E 32'' LED 1920x1080
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro / HP microtower
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX750 / OEM 300W bronze
Mouse MS cheap wired / Logitech cheap wired m90
Keyboard MS cheap wired / HP cheap wired
Software W11 / W7 Pro ->10 Pro
@azrael is right, use a PD charger (review page 3). I gave the XZ2 to my younger son, the battery still has juice and charges much better with the included charger than XZ3 (according to gsmarena) does. So you have to look for a decent 18-20w PD charger I guess.

System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 LBC
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
researching them now. thanks for that.
I really want one of the c10lites. One usb-c charger to rule them all. I will probably get one of their universal laptop chargers as soon as I need another one. Free tips for them too, apparently. Not exactly cheap, but not bad.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
reading comments and a short look at those looked interesting, until i saw they dont even support QC.
a company trying to tell me they make some of the "best" chargers, yet dont support both major profiles. why?

i can only deduct 2 reasons, you cant (technology), or you wont (cost/licencing), and i know its not the first, as i can buy QC 4+ chargers from lots of asian brands online.
ignoring that all QC 4 (and higher) have PD as fall back option, while PD does not.

@inquisitor1
seeing that there isnt a big difference in cost, i would recommend going for QC 5/GaN charger instead of the one i listed earlier, as those will actually do QC+PD, so it wont matter
what you get in the next years device wise.

charger

Last edited: