• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aorus 17x

Avito

Anyone have any luck trying to use throttlestop on this laptop? I just got the 17x 2024 with i9 14900hx and rtx 4090. but its a shame that the i9 is super power limited making it stutter, and if i unplug it from the charger it becomes almost unusable from all the reduction in power. throttlestop might help me getting it up and running more?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so we can see what settings are unlocked and available to you. Gigabyte usually locks the FIVR voltage settings. The power limits might be unlocked and adjustable.

almost unusable
No one has engineered a battery yet that can fit in a laptop and is able to fully power a 14900HX and RTX 4090. Some manufacturer's throttling schemes when running on battery power can be ridiculous. Worse than pulling a laptop out of the closet from a different era. Hopefully ThrottleStop can help the cause.

Avito

Hey Uncle, sorry for the big delay i was fighting Gigabyte for their crappy service hahahaa..
Here are the stock settings ThrottleStop display.
I played a little using the Battery profile and it actually helped alot, I just checked the speed shift on and speed shift EPP on, if you have any recommendations for settings values we can test them and ill be posting our progress, stability and benchmarks scores.

And here are the battery ones.

Attachments

• FIVR.jpg
    FIVR.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 25
  • limits.jpg
    limits.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 25
  • TPL.jpg
    TPL.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 25
  • FIVR battery.jpg
    FIVR battery.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Limits battery.jpg
    Limits battery.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 21
  • TPL Battery.jpg
    TPL Battery.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 23

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
speed shift EPP
Usually checking the Speed Shift EPP box on the main ThrottleStop screen is not necessary when using the Windows 11 Balanced power plan. If checking this box helps things out then ignore my advice. I prefer using the Windows High Performance power plan when plugged in and max performance or minimum latency are the goal.

The FIVR window is locked and Power Limit 4 is locked in the TPL window. There are no settings left that can be adjusted to fix any throttling issues. King Gigabyte has decided how your laptop should run. Sad times when you pay top dollar for a laptop with an unlocked HX processor only to get it home and find out that all meaningful adjustments are locked. Hopefully it runs decent. If it does not, there is nothing you can really do.

BD PROCHOT is enabled and locked. That is typical for recent laptops. Hopefully BD PROCHOT throttling only happens for a few seconds when switching to battery power. Any more than a few seconds of BD PROCHOT throttling and I would be looking for a full refund. This throttling will kill performance and make a laptop unusable.

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Try to disable turboboost. A stable 2.2Ghz could be a far superior experience to 5.1Ghz -> 800Mhz throttle.

Avito

Sad, Sad, Sad, ill search for a way to unlock the firmware and update you if I do.
thanks for swift responses.
Phan: I'll try it and give my input on the next update.