• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aorus hidden bios settings but can't undervolt 12th gen

ismenc

Hi.
A year later after buying the laptop I have managed to enter Aorus hidden bios... and it's golden! or it seems to be.
I wanna undervolt because i undervolt everything in my life and its cool..... OK.
Been 2 days now but i dont get the juicy uv. This is from the BIOS:
  • I can set adaptive negative voltage offsets but it wont make a difference. I think because Intel Speed Shift is messing with freq/volt.
  • I disabled speed shift but laptop wont boot
  • I also tried to disable every "*insert feature here* lock" in order to try to expose registers to TS. But FIVR functions are locked anyway.
I've run out of ideas. Bios has plenty of features to touch. Also it's the first bios that came with laptop because i dont wanna update and risk to loose that golden hidden bios settings.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop window so I can see what CPU model you have. Also post a screenshot of the FIVR window.

Starting with 12th Gen, only the HX processors still allow undervolting as long as a manufacturer does not lock out this feature.

ismenc

Post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop window so I can see what CPU model you have. Also post a screenshot of the FIVR window.

Starting with 12th Gen, only the HX processors still allow undervolting as long as a manufacturer does not lock out this feature.
Attached also 2 from the bios in order to show you the voltage options it offers

Attachments

• TS-main.jpg
    TS-main.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 33
  • TS-fivr.jpg
    TS-fivr.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Bios-uv-protection.jpg
    Bios-uv-protection.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Bios-UV.jpg
    Bios-UV.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 32

unclewebb

1723312820808.png

Intel removed software CPU voltage control from the 12th Gen and newer H series processors.

Any BIOS voltage options likely only work if you have an unlocked HX processor. The HX series support voltage control. The H series do not.

ismenc

View attachment 358380

Intel removed software CPU voltage control from the 12th Gen and newer H series processors.

Any BIOS voltage options likely only work if you have an unlocked HX processor. The HX series support voltage control. The H series do not.
Oh... so the settings i set in bios are actually being ignored... I thought it might allow me to uv in the MB :(
One more question, could it be possible to get something of these loadline settings?

Attachments

• Bios-loadlines.jpg
    Bios-loadlines.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 22

ismenc

Setting AC/DC Loadline from 230/230 to 120/120 will improve temperature and power consumption a bit as redditor already tested it
https://www.reddit.com/r/XMG_gg/comments/11f8n0z https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/14wowbo
Indeed. I've been playing with it around since yesterday. At maximum load (~90w), managed to save 11w and 8-10 degrees with AC120.

However this is not at no cost. AC loadline is modulating the resistance of chip supply. Lower resistance means lower high-current voltages (high load), but higher low-current voltages (idle load).
To my eye 120 seems a bit aggresive, even when savings at maximum load are awesome. I think 150-180 should be a better tradeoff for gaming.
I will definitely spend some hours testing and i will also try TS multi profiles in order to see can make something great of combining both features. Thanks ^^

unclewebb

playing with it around since yesterday
Run some Cinebench tests when adjusting the loadline values. Some H series CPUs can lose a lot of performance if you adjust the loadline values too much.