• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple COO Meets with TSMC CEO to Reserve First Batch of 2 nm Allocation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple is locked in a fierce competition to stay ahead in the client AI applications race, and needs access to the latest foundry process at TSMC to built its future-generation SoCs on. The company's COO, Jeff Williams, reportedly paid a visit to TSMC CEO CC Wei to discuss Apple's foundry allocation of the Taiwanese foundry's 2 nm-class silicon fabrication process, for its next-generation M-series and A-series SoCs powering its future generations of iPhone, iPad, and Macs. Taiwan based industry observer, Economic Daily, which broke this story, says that it isn't just an edge with performance and efficiency that Apple is after, but also leadership in generative AI, and client AI applications. The company has reportedly invested over $100 billion in generative AI research and development over the past 5 years.

Apple's latest silicon, the M4 SoC, which debuted with the iPad Pro earlier this month, is built on TSMC's N3E (3 nm-class) node, and it's widely expected that the rest of the M4 line of SoCs for Macs, and the "A18," could be built on the same process, which would cover Apple for the rest of 2024, going into the first half of 2025. TSMC is expected to commence mass-production of chips on its 2 nm node in 2025, which is why Apple is in the TSMC boss's office to seek the first foundry allocation.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Even though we are probably past peak Apple, they still have enough demand to buy entire node capacities.

Still wondering what the use case is for Client side "AI". We're probably going to be deeply in to diminishing returns at these process nodes. The extra cost of the chips won't be worth it at all for most use cases, older chips which cost a fraction will do the job fine.

Apple are still insanely profitable, have the strongest phone brand and their enclosed proprietary tech environment that allows them to milk users who don't know any better for $$$. Even if they're not growing anymore. It's still the least overvalued of the big stocks imo due to that.

Still wondering what the use case is for Client side "AI". We're probably going to be deeply in to diminishing returns at these process nodes. The extra cost of the chips won't be worth it at all for most use cases, older chips which cost a fraction will do the job fine.

Apple are still insanely profitable, have the strongest phone brand and their enclosed proprietary tech environment that allows them to milk users who don't know any better for $$$. Even if they're not growing anymore. It's still the least overvalued of the big stocks imo due to that.
Idiots must first stop buying 1k usd iphones to browser the web and use whatsapp and yeah a 50 usd phone will do that. It is not about use anymore, is about showing off that stupidity has no limits.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
2nm CPU for the latest iPhone 16, that looks and feels identical to the iPhone 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Would be better if they had invested 100billion in battery research over a period of 5 years instead of generative ai.

In software battery management as well.

Not apple, but on my old one plus 6, I have been still leaving it powered on unused, and I noticed with wifi and mobile data off, its drain was still mediocre, I thought not much of it as just assumed its an old creaking battery. I then uninstalled these apps, as I didnt want them conflicting with any live devices.

Amazon
BBC sport
Discord
Telegram
Whatsapp

Thats it nothing else, charge duration went from around 3 days to 9-10 days. In addition the phone previously had problems with memory management, shutting down apps frequently, even launcher getting forcefully restarted and that all vanished, these few apps must have been constantly running crap in the background even without networking. I wonder how many buy a new phone thinking issues are hardware related but instead its down to rogue software.

This AI stuff will just be more stuff running in the background.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Yes they are for sure, as evidenced by my dividend checks, which BTW have been rather large (and getting larger) for the past several years, so they can spend their gazillions on new chips or whatever else they want, as long that moolah keeps comin my way, I won't be complainin :)

And no, I am NOT an Apple fanboi/user, just a very happy investor !

@chrcoluk - re: battery issues

I recently got a Pixel 8 Pro and from day 1, I was constantly running low on battery power even with light use throughout the day...

Then I discovered the cause (or at least part of it): It shipped direct from Gooogly with every single installed app (alot of bloatwarez) running at 100% power capability, all permissions enabled and ZERO optimizations whatsoever.......

So I spent the better part of a day going through EVERY single installed app, and deleted/uninstalled/disabled everything I didn't need/want etc....and whahlah, now it runs all day long with lots of calls, texts, teams meetings, videos, email & surfin, and usually has ~65% left when I plug it in at bedtime :)

So yea, software battery use/mgmt is the key IMHO :)

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If they keep shrinking the nodes, they will end up moving into the negative and be using anti-matter :D

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Doesn't Apple always enjoy Preferred Customer status with TSMC? I think that is true but I could be wrong. Apple needs chips and a heck of a lot of them. Last year their revenue was around 380 billion USD. They dwarf all of the competition.

Yes they are for sure, as evidenced by my dividend checks, which BTW have been rather large (and getting larger) for the past several years, so they can spend their gazillions on new chips or whatever else they want, as long that moolah keeps comin my way, I won't be complainin :)

And no, I am NOT an Apple fanboi/user, just a very happy investor !

@chrcoluk - re: battery issues

I recently got a Pixel 8 Pro and from day 1, I was constantly running low on battery power even with light use throughout the day...

Then I discovered the cause (or at least part of it): It shipped direct from Gooogly with every single installed app (alot of bloatwarez) running at 100% power capability, all permissions enabled and ZERO optimizations whatsoever.......

So I spent the better part of a day going through EVERY single installed app, and deleted/uninstalled/disabled everything I didn't need/want etc....and whahlah, now it runs all day long with lots of calls, texts, teams meetings, videos, email & surfin, and usually has ~65% left when I plug it in at bedtime :)

So yea, software battery use/mgmt is the key IMHO :)

I'm using a Pixel 4, broke the screen on holiday earlier this year, looked at a new screen, then realised I could just get a new phone for £80. It does everything I need, I owned one before this as well from 2020, easy to change the battery if I need to. Could root it if I could be bothered. No bloat, no battery drain issues for me on stock Android though.

My guess is Apple will suffer, as they are already in China and other markets recently. In a bad economy, people probably realise more they don't need a 1K phone. That being said, I'm sure they'll still make plenty of money.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Doesn't Apple always enjoy Preferred Customer status with TSMC? I think that is true but I could be wrong. Apple needs chips and a heck of a lot of them. Last year their revenue was around 380 billion USD. They dwarf all of the competition.
Yeah, they always did and traditionally got first dibs on any new node. This isn’t news, there is nothing to discuss. It’s a win-win for both sides since what Apple needs is capacity and what TSMC needs is ironing out kinks in new nodes and the massive orders of relatively small and low power chips for Apple are perfect for it. They wouldn’t start off with massive at-reticle-limit chips for NVidia, for example, that’s just asking for trouble.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
If they keep shrinking the nodes, they will end up moving into the negative and be using anti-matter :D
They don't shrink anything. Just their Marketing shrinking the numbers as they see fit. At this point they can claim 2pm, but it wont be pm from picometer. Just a meaningless number and some letters to confuse the press.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Even though we are probably past peak Apple, they still have enough demand to buy entire node capacities.
gotta get those to the ipad babies so they don't have any interruptions watching cocomelon or blippi or bluey lmao or they will have a meltdown in the middle of the restaurant and mom will get very angwyyy