• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus motherboard error code 00

Bxpanda

Hello everyone, my pc has been running flawlessly for around 6 years now, and today while playing cs:go, after maybe 10 minutes in game, my pc suddenly completely froze, the image was still there, sound was gone, and nothing was responding at all, so i manually rebooted the pc using the reset button, which turned it off but not on again, so i pressed the power button upon which the pc tried turning on, but failed and turned off again, 4 times this happened, then it started seemingly normally, but it gave no input to my monitor, so i restarted it again and this time it worked and booted me back into windows normally, so i launched steam, launched cs:go, but before i could even press reconnect the pc froze again just like before, and now it completely refuses to boot, the motherboard gives me the error code 00, which apparently doesn't mean anything specific, and the only other indicator is a red light called CPU_LED is turned on, and I'm not sure that's normal.

To be more precise, everything does technically turn on like it should, all the fans are working, gpu is working, all the hard drives are making the usual noises, even my keyboard lights up, but my monitor gives me "no input" and goes to sleep, i tried leaving the pc in that state to see if by miracle it would boot again, but after an hour when i came back the pc had just turned itself off.

Something else worth noting, the reset button doesn't work anymore, neither on my case nor on the motherboard itself, pressing it doesn't do anything.

Here are my specs:
MB: Asus Maximus Hero VII
Cpu: Intel i7 4790k
Gpu: GTX980ti
Psu: Corsair RM850
Ram: 4x8gb hyper x something

Things i tried but didn't work:
Clearing CMOS (using the button on the motherboard) it did restart the pc but nothing else
Removing/changing positions of ram sticks
Removing gpu
Removing hard drives
Unplugging the water cooling
Plugging out and back in most power connectors
Changing the cpu power connector

I can't try to boot the pc using another cpu or psu as i only have those already in the pc, and I'm pretty sure the problem comes from either the motherboard or the cpu, because everything else seems to be working properly, question is, which one is it and can i do something about it without having to replace any parts?

Is it possible that my cpu just randomly died without showing any signs of it even though it's been working fine for years?
Could that be why the pc completely froze up? (this never happened before)

Could the issue be related to a motherboard failure? With the reset button not working I'm thinking this could also be it?

Reading other forum posts about this issue i found that it could maybe have something to do with the bios, is there any way i could access it with my pc not booting?
Since my pc failed to boot a couple times maybe something went wrong on the software side of things?

Whatever the problem is, i really need this pc to work, i can't do without, so any help is very much appreciated !
Thanks already for taking the time to read this!
And double thanks to whoever can help me with this issue!
:)

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2699 V4 22c/44t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro & more.
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, Logitech K800
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
D

Deleted member 24505

I have a asus maximus VII Gene, same problem, board is dead. I have tried everything possible but no post. Seems some asus boards are plagued by this error. I had a 4790k and 980Ti in it, using a ITX msi z87i now.

• Sad
Reactions: aQi

Bxpanda

I have a asus maximus VII Gene, same problem, board is dead. I have tried everything possible but no post. Seems some asus boards are plagued by this error. I had a 4790k and 980Ti in it, using a ITX msi z87i now.
Do you know if the "CPU_LED" indicator was on by any chance?
From what ive found it seems like when that led is on the cpu is at fault.

I swear im about to just buy a new board and cpu and be done with it...

• Wow
Reactions: aQi
D

Deleted member 24505

Do you know if the "CPU_LED" indicator was on by any chance?
From what ive found it seems like when that led is on the cpu is at fault.

I swear im about to just buy a new board and cpu and be done with it...

No cpu led, same with reset button on board, does nothing.

Bxpanda

No cpu led, same with reset button on board, does nothing.
Thanks for the reply, although that doesn't really help me pinpoint the problem, i think I'll just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a new cpu/motherboard even though i really didn't want to upgrade them yet :/

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello everyone, my pc has been running flawlessly for around 6 years now, and today while playing cs:go, after maybe 10 minutes in game, my pc suddenly completely froze, the image was still there, sound was gone, and nothing was responding at all, so i manually rebooted the pc using the reset button, which turned it off but not on again, so i pressed the power button upon which the pc tried turning on, but failed and turned off again, 4 times this happened, then it started seemingly normally, but it gave no input to my monitor, so i restarted it again and this time it worked and booted me back into windows normally, so i launched steam, launched cs:go, but before i could even press reconnect the pc froze again just like before, and now it completely refuses to boot, the motherboard gives me the error code 00, which apparently doesn't mean anything specific, and the only other indicator is a red light called CPU_LED is turned on, and I'm not sure that's normal.

To be more precise, everything does technically turn on like it should, all the fans are working, gpu is working, all the hard drives are making the usual noises, even my keyboard lights up, but my monitor gives me "no input" and goes to sleep, i tried leaving the pc in that state to see if by miracle it would boot again, but after an hour when i came back the pc had just turned itself off.

Something else worth noting, the reset button doesn't work anymore, neither on my case nor on the motherboard itself, pressing it doesn't do anything.

Here are my specs:
MB: Asus Maximus Hero VII
Cpu: Intel i7 4790k
Gpu: GTX980ti
Psu: Corsair RM850
Ram: 4x8gb hyper x something

Things i tried but didn't work:
Clearing CMOS (using the button on the motherboard) it did restart the pc but nothing else
Removing/changing positions of ram sticks
Removing gpu
Removing hard drives
Unplugging the water cooling
Plugging out and back in most power connectors
Changing the cpu power connector

I can't try to boot the pc using another cpu or psu as i only have those already in the pc, and I'm pretty sure the problem comes from either the motherboard or the cpu, because everything else seems to be working properly, question is, which one is it and can i do something about it without having to replace any parts?

Is it possible that my cpu just randomly died without showing any signs of it even though it's been working fine for years?
Could that be why the pc completely froze up? (this never happened before)

Could the issue be related to a motherboard failure? With the reset button not working I'm thinking this could also be it?

Reading other forum posts about this issue i found that it could maybe have something to do with the bios, is there any way i could access it with my pc not booting?
Since my pc failed to boot a couple times maybe something went wrong on the software side of things?

Whatever the problem is, i really need this pc to work, i can't do without, so any help is very much appreciated !
Thanks already for taking the time to read this!
And double thanks to whoever can help me with this issue!
:)
Get your manual out and read it.

D

Deleted member 24505

There is a possibility, yours is recoverable. Mine is D E A D. turn on PSU lights light up on board. press start button, the 00 light up, no cpu led or anything else. then it cycles that every 2 or 3 seconds.

Try yours with a speaker and no cpu or ram, does it do the same? Mine does exactly the same with no cpu or no ram or both.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
Screenshot 2021-07-10 183713.png

Maybe just a small hint;
"00" is not used by the Mobo

is it possible having a "D0" shown? or is it a small "d"?

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Screenshot 2021-07-10 183713.png

i would guess on a "D0", ye

the socket is LGA 1150. A processor that matches is about 20$. if u think it's worth a try to locate deeper issues

i3 in this case

00 code is 100% cpu problem , might point out to dead cpu sadly. You could try on another mobo to check if it works but most likely cpu just died. Good luck.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro

Bxpanda

There is a possibility, yours is recoverable. Mine is D E A D. turn on PSU lights light up on board. press start button, the 00 light up, no cpu led or anything else. then it cycles that every 2 or 3 seconds.

Try yours with a speaker and no cpu or ram, does it do the same? Mine does exactly the same with no cpu or no ram or both.
No cpu, no ram, no graphics card, no hard drives, just the motherboard wothout anything plugged in, doesn't change a thing always 00 (or D0), so I'm guessing the motherboard is dead just like yours

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
No cpu, no ram, no graphics card, no hard drives, just the motherboard wothout anything plugged in, doesn't change a thing always 00 (or D0), so I'm guessing the motherboard is dead just like yours
Cpu or board

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
i have already commented on this forum about the aging of silicon-based transistors.
I was met with laughter and sarcasm - to put it kindly. i am in peace with it.

yes, transistors also age under certain conditions!

here is a website in foreign language, where experts in electronics and physicists discuss, comment and prove this in detail.
sources included. i'm not going to translate this now. if you want to do it just for fun, go ahead. very interesting and instructive. however, it only contributes moderately to the topic of this post.

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
i have already commented on this forum about the aging of silicon-based transistors.
I was met with laughter and sarcasm - to put it kindly. i am in peace with it.

yes, transistors also age under certain conditions!

here is a website in foreign language, where experts in electronics and physicists discuss, comment and prove this in detail.
sources included. i'm not going to translate this now. if you want to do it just for fun, go ahead. very interesting and instructive. however, it only contributes moderately to the topic of this post.

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN
Especially with too much voltage and current applied

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
Psu failures included (its why I look at OEMs)
broken down very briefly and simply:
quotation;

Similar to a vehicle, there is some wear and tear on the conductors as electrons pass through them. Heat also affects the aging of the transistors, which is why the CPU chip is designed for a specific range of operating temperatures. During operation, electrons must tunnel through some layers in the semiconductor materials and degrade them over time. This causes the switching speed of the individual transistors to increase over time, causing them to "slow down".

As I said earlier, the CPU speed is set by the end user. It is a synchronous digital circuit that will execute as fast as you want it to - even if the transfer delay exceeds the switching time and the computer crashes. This is what will happen when a CPU ages. Over time, the various subunits in the CPU will take longer and longer to complete their calculations, causing instability in the CPU.

This effect can be mitigated by slowing down the clock frequency, which slows down the CPU, but offsets the increased runtime delays. This effect can also be mitigated by increasing the CPU voltage (which reduces the switching time for the transistors and allows for a higher clock rate). However, increasing the CPU voltage only ages the transistors faster .

For this reason, a processor will slow down as it ages. At higher speeds, the processor becomes unstable, so you have to decrease the clock speed over time. The good news is that this effect is usually noticable on a time scale of years.

Bxpanda

broken down very briefly and simply:
quotation;

Similar to a vehicle, there is some wear and tear on the conductors as electrons pass through them. Heat also affects the aging of the transistors, which is why the CPU chip is designed for a specific range of operating temperatures. During operation, electrons must tunnel through some layers in the semiconductor materials and degrade them over time. This causes the switching speed of the individual transistors to increase over time, causing them to "slow down".

As I said earlier, the CPU speed is set by the end user. It is a synchronous digital circuit that will execute as fast as you want it to - even if the transfer delay exceeds the switching time and the computer crashes. This is what will happen when a CPU ages. Over time, the various subunits in the CPU will take longer and longer to complete their calculations, causing instability in the CPU.

This effect can be mitigated by slowing down the clock frequency, which slows down the CPU, but offsets the increased runtime delays. This effect can also be mitigated by increasing the CPU voltage (which reduces the switching time for the transistors and allows for a higher clock rate). However, increasing the CPU voltage only ages the transistors faster .

For this reason, a processor will slow down as it ages. At higher speeds, the processor becomes unstable, so you have to decrease the clock speed over time. The good news is that this effect is usually noticable on a time scale of years.
Interesting, over the 6 years I've had this pc its been running nearly 24/7 as i only turn it off when I'm gone for more than a day and it's been running at a constant clock speed of 4ghz because sound would start to lag when it throttled down as I'm using a beefy external sound card, but on the other hand it didn't show any noticeable signs of slowing down either and it was always running pretty cool never exceeding 65°c except when rendering videos, i always thought the first thing that would fail would be my graphics card as it runs really hot even with the fans cranked up to 100%
Guess i was wrong lol

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
Interesting, over the 6 years I've had this pc its been running nearly 24/7 as i only turn it off when I'm gone for more than a day and it's been running at a constant clock speed of 4ghz because sound would start to lag when it throttled down as I'm using a beefy external sound card, but on the other hand it didn't show any noticeable signs of slowing down either and it was always running pretty cool never exceeding 65°c except when rendering videos, i always thought the first thing that would fail would be my graphics card as it runs really hot even with the fans cranked up to 100%
Guess i was wrong lol
your poor processor then died of a marathon cardiac death

On Fire What GIF

:cry:

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
windows event viewer might give a clue or two.

or this reason, a processor will slow down as it ages. At higher speeds, the processor becomes unstable, so you have to decrease the clock speed over time.
I have yet to see any processor over the age of 7+ (years) slow down running at intended parameters. The rest is FUD. Instability "at higher speeds" usually means you overclocked too far and/or dont know how to maintain that stability.

Last edited:
Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 2 tb crucial t700, raid 0 samsung 970 pro 2tb
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
Code 00 = headache and gonna cost money to relieve it.