• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H - DRAM light on

bumper9

I just bought a new setup.
Specs are:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming Wifi
CPU: i5-14600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000Mhz 32GB / CMH32GX5M2B6000C30
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO
PSU: GX II Gold 850W Modular
M2 SSD: WD Black SN850 M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

GPU and M2 were used in previous rig.

The static yellow light for DRAM is showing whenever I boot the PC. It starts with the red light for half a sec, then it turns yellow/orange. I've flashed the BIOS, and it should've been succesful, according to the manual. I held the button for 3 sec, then the green light started blinking, and I let it run until it stopped blinking.

I've checked all power connectors, I've retried flashing the bios to the latest version. I've also tried the RAM in different slots, and tried with 2 slots, 1 slots, and even without RAM. DRAM light still on. Everything gets power. The lights for GPU, RAM and MB runs, all the fans work.

Monitors seems "connected". I don't get any picture on my monitors, but whenever I disconnect from the MB, they light up and say no input found.

I've tried looking into this online, but I cant seem to find any specific answers for what to do next that I havent already tried. I

I know the RAM is only compatible with the 14th gen CPU, and the CPU will only work with the MB on bios versions later than 1201.
M2_1 slot is supported by 12 and 13gen CPU according to the manual, but I believe this will probably also work with 14 with the right bios version.

Please help

ASUS have those memory slots with a clip on one side only. DIMMs have to pushed in firmly until there is an audible click. Have you checked that the DIMMs are firmly seated.

Red light means memory settings failed to post and yellow means it's attempting to test memory settings. The light will turn white if the memory settings pass the initial boot post. You still have to ensure memory stability though.

Did you wait for the bios to continue flashing after it says done because from what I recall it reboots and continues with more stuff with bios update or to like ME firmware or something. There is like a initial update and a reboot then a continued update much like windows updates.

Make sure the USB is either FAT16/FAT32 format and single partition.

For the USB BIOS flash it starts to blink 3 times and then I believe it stays lit until it completes and then finally goes out when completed. If it flashes for 5 seconds then stays solid rather than blinking 3 times at the start it means you've got a problem with the USB device and/or file name or file format.

Last edited:

bumper9

Red light means memory settings failed and yellow means it's attempting to test memory settings. The light will turn white if the memory settings pass the initial boot post. You still have to ensure memory stability though. Did you wait for the bios to continue flashing after it says done because from what I recall it reboots and continues with more stuff with bios update or to like ME firmware or something. There is like a initial update and a reboot then a continued update much like windows updates.
The BIOS flash is running while the PC is powered off for it to work. I've tried doing it while the computer runs, but it wont flash then. Manual says to hold the button for 3sec, until the green light starts blinking. I then release the button, and it keeps blinking for a few minutes. Whenever it stops blinking, it's supposed to be done. It doesnt power up or anything. - Meaning the PSU is turned on, but I havent powered on the computer.

Does red light followed by a yellow mean something different than just yellow light?

The red/yellow/white leds are on the MB near memory. I thought you were talking about a memory posting issue at first then read it over further and saw you were flashing the bios. The LED for USB bios flash is just a white LED I believe and either blinks, stays solid, or goes out depending on what's happening.

It should blink 3 times then remain solid lit for a period of time while it flashes the bios do then eventually go out and remain off if it goes w/o a hitch.

Make sure you renamed the bios appropriately and file format are correct.

bumper9

Red light means memory settings failed to post and yellow means it's attempting to test memory settings. The light will turn white if the memory settings pass the initial boot post. You still have to ensure memory stability though.

Did you wait for the bios to continue flashing after it says done because from what I recall it reboots and continues with more stuff with bios update or to like ME firmware or something. There is like a initial update and a reboot then a continued update much like windows updates.

Make sure the USB is either FAT16/FAT32 format and single partition.

For the USB BIOS flash it starts to blink 3 times and then I believe it stays lit until it completes and then finally goes out when completed. If it flashes for 5 seconds then stays solid rather than blinking 3 times at the start it means you've got a problem with the USB device and/or file name or file format.
USB is FAT32 single partition mbr. BIOS file is on root of the USB
BIOS file included a rename program. I ran this, which gave the SZ790H.cap filename, and removed the renamer.

Direct from the manual for the MB:

"3. Plug the 24-pin power connector to the motherboard and turn on the power supply(no need to power on the system). Insert the USB storage device to the BIOS FlashBack port.
4. Press the BIOS FlashBack button for three (3)3 seconds until the BIOS FlashBack LED blinks three times, indicating that the BIOS FlashBack function is enabled.
5. Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed."

If memory trains properly the LED for memory will be white though it can cycle thru yellow or red and some reboots sometimes and/or requires a cmos clear if it's really struggling to post based on setting.

The USB flash was pretty simple from what I recall. The only thing I remember giving me a issue is Asus during the bios says COMPLETE then reboots then does more flash routine stuff after it reboots, but which I don't remember if that was well indicated during flash process so like don't turn it off after it says COMPLETE then tries to reboot thinking it's done because it's not. That's like half of the flash process then it reboots and completes the other portion much like Windows Updates. They could've really worded that better to make it much more obvious not to turn off the PC after the way Windows does.

If you're getting yellow led lights follow red led lights and it never turns white for the led lighting by memory dimm's it usually indicates the memory training is struggling and you might need to do a clear cmos. I guess there are different LED's in that area for mem/cpu/vga/bios indicators 1-2 MB layout shows which is which.

Last edited:

bumper9

If memory trains properly the LED for memory will be white though it can cycle thru yellow or red and some reboots sometimes and/or requires a cmos clear if it's really struggling to post based on setting.

The USB flash was pretty simple from what I recall. The only thing I remember giving me a issue is Asus during the bios says COMPLETE then reboots then does more flash routine stuff after it reboots, but which I don't remember if that was well indicated during flash process so like don't turn it off after it says COMPLETE then tries to reboot thinking it's done because it's not. That's like half of the flash process then it reboots and completes the other portion much like Windows Updates. They could've really worded that better to make it much more obvious not to turn off the PC after the way Windows does.
I'm not even sure if it completes. It stops blinking, and I'm able to boot the PC. Whenever the flash bios runs, I can't power the PC, but should I leave it for a bit longer after BIOS update? Keep in mind, the PC is NOT turned ON, but the PSU is turned on for the MB to get power.

My monitors wont turn on, I can't see anything happening. Just hopeful thinking it feels like.

If it were to work, would I be able to start up and get a different light when booting? Because it has been consistently red then yellow whatever I've tried.

Im getting red light for around 1 sec, followed by a static consistent yellow light. I've tried clearing CMOS earlier, tried again now, but same color light. Letting it run for a little while to see if anything changes

For the bios did the USB LED light light on the back of PC blink 3 times then stay lit for period of time and then turn off!!?

For QLED indicator in top right side of MB Red/Yellow indicates CPU/Memory. If it remains on one or the other it indicates one or the other had a fault of some sort. It otherwise proceeds to a white LED for VGA and finally a yellowish/green if it's posting to bios correctly.

The first time you train memory it can take some time on QLED lighting and might reboot a few times to try again.

It turns white to test VGA if CPU follow by memory goes smoothly and if that goes right turns yellowish/green when it able to post to bios and should display it on your display.

Last edited:

bumper9

Did the light blink 3 times then stay lit for period of time and then turn off!!? Red/Yellow indicates CPU/Memory. What's it stay on? Whichever it stays on is at fault or causing issue. It's should stay yellow for a period if it's training especially the first time. If it remains yellow the memory is causing a problem. If it's good it then turns white for VGA and then turns like a yellowish/green if it's working and you should see a bios post.
I held it for 3 seconds, causing it to blink. It'd then keep blinking for a few minutes, and then it just stops blinking, indicating that it's completed.

The light starts red at CPU for a second, then it goes over to yellow, and stays there.

How long is it supposed to stay yellow for if it's training?

It varies on the yellow lighting on memory training. If it's more stable it's short period generally if it's less stable longer. The memory kit quality and capacity also play a factor. if you have a ton of capacity training takes longer for training especially if populating 4 DIMM's. It really shouldn't take longer than about 15-30 seconds. I'm sure it varies somewhat depending on components though I never had a issue with it being over excessive certainly not like the lengthy 4 or 5 training times described in early ASRock DDR5 boards.

bumper9

For the bios did the USB LED light light on the back of PC blink 3 times then stay lit for period of time and then turn off!!?

For QLED indicator in top right side of MB Red/Yellow indicates CPU/Memory. If it remains on one or the other it indicates one or the other had a fault of some sort. It otherwise proceeds to a white LED for VGA and finally a yellowish/green if it's posting to bios correctly.

The first time you train memory it can take some time on QLED lighting and might reboot a few times to try again.

It turns white to test VGA if CPU follow by memory goes smoothly and if that goes right turns yellowish/green when it able to post to bios and should display it on your display.
The computer havent rebooted a single time since I flashed bios or cleared cmos. It's just running with the constant yellow light.

Only stops is when I've forced it to turn off.

Considering the red light at first is cpu, then stops and goes to DRAM yellow, might it be the CPU that's faulty? / the pins on the motherboard. CPU fit perfectly, and wasnt used any force, except a bit for the pin to close the lid.

I've even rebuilt the PC after not getting any power. Found out that it was because the power fuse had went out on the outlet I tried (my bad, fridge went without power for a while), but 2nd time everything was done 100% according to the book, followed every step just to make sure I did it right. Only thing I havent checked is the pins on the motherboard for the CPU. Don't really feel like rebuilding again either, but might end up doing it just to check for any damages, but want to check everything else first.

If the training is supposed to run for 15-30 secs, then it's definetely not doing so.

Feels like it's something about the BIOS, but I dont understand if that's the case, considering everything seems fine with the flash bios.
I've tried 2 different USB sticks, both being 32GB. Tried both version 1501 or so, and the latest 2301(might be a digit off or something). Checked that theyre both mbr, downloaded the BIOS update file separately for each stick aswell, and followed every instruction.

Using 2x16GB sticks, currently using slot 2 and 4 (A2 and B2), but I've tried others aswell, also with no RAM, 1 RAM stick and both in different slots.

Is there an elimination process I can follow to fix this? Components I can plug out or something. What would be the bare minimum I could set up for it still to be working? Will it be specified to RAM issues, or could it f.ex. be my M2 causing problems?

Seems like something's happening now. I read somewhere that if the CPU cooler is too tight (wasnt that tight, still had a low amount of wiggleroom), so I barely loosened the screws a bit. Testet with RAM in slot 1,2, didnt work, but when I put it alone in the 3rd(B1), it started. Letting it run for a while before I try placing in the last one again. Happiness is on the rise :)

Is there an elimination process I can follow to fix this? Components I can plug out or something. What would be the bare minimum I could set up for it still to be working? Will it be specified to RAM issues, or could it f.ex. be my M2 causing problems?
CPU and one RAM stick only ought to get you into the BIOS. The motherboard has HDMI and DisplayPort outlets which are active as you have a K processor. If you are using DisplayPort try using the HDMI port.

Did you name the bios the way it instructs as well?

The yellow QLED in top right of MB would indicate memory issue. I'd try a single DIMM and/or reseat the DIMM. I'd probably try that first before attempting flashing again. It seems like it's either it didn't flash right and maybe you just need to try it again or it's the memory causing post problem. If you can get it to post properly with a single DIMM that's start. It could be the bios flash didn't take though.

100% use the onboard display ports. It's going to want to default to those I believe anyway. Though it's staying yellow and not turning yellow it seems like it's getting stuck in memory training.

Testet with RAM in slot 1,2, didnt work, but when I put it alone in the 3rd(B1), it started. Letting it run for a while before I try placing in the last one again. Happiness is on the rise :)
Did you get it to actually post with a single dimm?

bumper9

I've been able to boot up now with a single RAM on either B1 or B2, but A1 and B1 / A2 and B2 doesnt work. Might be some damages on the MB at the CPU slot.
Could there be any other reason for it?

A1 and B1 kept flashing red and yellow, but stopped and kept at yellow. This was first test after it worked.

Running B1 and B2 atm, just testing it for a bit. Will anyway contact manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

Anyway, thank you for your help, much appreciated. Been a while since I built computers, but never had as much difficulty as with this build. Paying for them to build it next time :)

Did you name the bios the way it instructs as well?

The yellow QLED in top right of MB would indicate memory issue. I'd try a single DIMM and/or reseat the DIMM. I'd probably try that first before attempting flashing again. It seems like it's either it didn't flash right and maybe you just need to try it again or it's the memory causing post problem. If you can get it to post properly with a single DIMM that's start. It could be the bios flash didn't take though.

100% use the onboard display ports. It's going to want to default to those I believe anyway. Though it's staying yellow and not turning yellow it seems like it's getting stuck in memory training.

Did you get it to actually post with a single dimm?
Yep. But didnt work earlier, so seems like loosening the screws helped for some reason? Wasnt even that tight

You should be running A2 and B2. If you can't get those DIMM slots that are labeled in 1-2 in manual you might need to contact Asus about a RMA. If you're using CPU anti bend bracket maybe you tightened that down a bit too heavily. Apparently some people have done that unsurprisingly.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Reseat the CPU if you already tried everything else. Sometimes oddball tension can make it none-boot. Happened to me plenty of times.

This is also the configuration you should have for the memory. Try this first.

1719600415205.png

Reseat the CPU if you already tried everything else. Sometimes oddball tension can make it none-boot. Happened to me plenty of times.

This is also the configuration you should have for the memory. Try this first.

View attachment 353240

That would be rather unsurprising if that ended up being the cause to Intel's 13th/14th gen issues honestly and Intel's just doing this knowing full well what the problem is.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

bumper9

I've tried every single combination of memory seating. Only thing that has worked was B1 and B2, and XMP activated without any problems.

I talked with a buddy of mine after I got it booted, who has the same MB with 13900K I believe, and he had the same issue with the memory slots. It'd only work in B1 and B2, and it's been running fine since setup. Will contact ASUS about this either way.

Might been I tightened the screws for the CPU Cooler a tad bit too tight. Barely loosened the screws, and worked out of nowhere. Almost didnt bother trying because I thought it sounded too damn silly, knowing I'm very careful when building PC.

Reinstalling OS and drivers etc right now, but need to fix an issue with the ethernet not connecting either. Tried a windows troubleshooting which said it wasnt activated. Was then activated, but still no ethernet. (yes, MB has wireless adapter included, but I'd much rather use a cabled connection due to stability.

Anyway, the system is running, no issues other than the booting takes a little because the DRAM light needs to stop before it boots into Windows.
Been hours of troubleshooting this shit, and I appreciate all the help I've gotten. First time I've posted in a forum, and I'm not dissapointed at all :)

Edit: Ethernetdriver had to be downloaded by installing it to a USB drive, due to the PC not being able to connect to wi-fi nor ethernet. Since when did u need a driver to connect to ethernet tho?

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
That would be rather unsurprising if that ended up being the cause to Intel's 13th/14th gen issues honestly and Intel's just doing this knowing full well what the problem is.
Maybe. For me I use waterblocks that have 4 screws (each corner). Equal tension roughly solves it. Or a Contact Frame.

I've tried every single combination of memory seating. Only thing that has worked was B1 and B2, and XMP activated without any problems.
If only B1 and B2 works, you probably have a bad MB or a mounting problems where you are losing memory channels. Those are both on the same memory channel. As you said, it works in B1 and B2 individually, but not at all on A1/A2.

Since when did u need a driver to connect to ethernet tho?
Your board has Intel 2.5Gb LAN and does need a driver. It is a good idea for a Z790 board to download all the drivers for it from the ASUS website. This includes a LAN driver and also chipset, Intel ME, Bluetooth and WiFi drivers.