• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS RT-AX88U Pro cutting out for many different events

SuperHydro

Hello All,

I just bought a ASUS RT-AX88U Pro to replace my 8 year old Net Gear Nighthawk R7000 as the speeds were plummeting with my Version Fios. The speeds are great from the ASUS, but there are many circumstances to when the internet cuts out.

IMG_4889.jpg

The first, is once a new device is added the 2.5G light (forth light from the left) turns red, so I have to restart the router.

The second is when I either download a game on my PS5 or use my PlayStation Portal, those two devices work, but the others are kicked off until I reset the router and the other devices will not work if either PS5 activity is going on. I read that this might be because the PS5 is an "access point" when using the PlayStation Portal, but I don't understand why downloading on the PS5 would make the rest of the devices go down.

Thirdly, sometimes the red light will come on randomly. Might work well for a couple hours or 30 minutes and then the internet cuts out.

I never had these problems with the R7000, so I was wondering if it was something with the setup or if its something with the modem. Any help would be great.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Thank you,

Alex

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: RX-7878
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT Gaming OC 16GB
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
A few suggestions...

1. Add some ventilation/cooling. - It looks like you have everything stowed inside a cabinet where there is little to no airflow and modems/routers do run hot and have ran hot since 54g days

2. FInd a better/stronger beefier power supply if you cant/dont want to improve airflow.

My personal experience is stock powers supplies start to fail the hotter the ambient temperature is. You can say they suffer from 'v-droop' and the power supply cant keep outputting the rated spec that keeps everything smoothly A beefier power supply will stand up to the heat a lot better than weaker stock power supplies.

Its not completely unheard of for manufacturers to cheap out on stock power supplies. Some fans pulling air through will help a lot.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
FInd a better/stronger beefier power supply if you cant/dont want to improve airflow.
Not sure what a bigger PSU will achieve. If the current one is faulty, then sure, it needs to be replaced with a good one. But name-brand makers don't generally provide underrated power supplies.

I agree totally, however, with ventilation. Do you normally close that cabinet door? If you do, don't - for now. If no problems with the door open, heat is probably your problem.

I will also note putting a wireless device inside a metal cabinet is a great way to block :( wireless signals. I would relocate and mount the wireless router outside the metal box.