• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS VG279QR GLOW.

Xerequinha123

Hi everyone!

I would like to clear up a question with you. Is this level of IPS Glow ~ Back Light Bleed normal? I'm considering returning the monitor because of it. I can only reduce this level of Glow by significantly adjusting the colors, brightness, and contrast of the monitor. Otherwise, if I use the default settings, it becomes impossible to use it in dark environments during games. I also noticed that the higher I am from the middle of the monitor, the worse this glow gets at the bottom. It feels like I'm in a movie theater in the farthest row from the screen while someone in the nearest row has their phone on. Is it possible to see this glow in bright environments as well in some cases and games.

I would also like to know if it's normal for Adaptive Sync to make the screen pulse, with horizontal lines and apparent bubbles appearing while loading a game, watching YouTube videos, or even when typing in Windows Notepad.

What would be the solution to this problem? Buying a monitor with a VA panel? Or keep exchanging until I find a good IPS? Because this is the third IPS I've bought with the same "defect."

The following photos were taken with the monitor already calibrated to my liking, trying to reduce the IPS glow as much as possible.

Attachments

• 1001.jpg
    1001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 1004.jpg
    1004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Yep, ips displays without mini led/FALD suffer from ips glow and BLB normal behavior.

Some are much better than others but all exhibit it to some extent. I have an LG that it's extremely minimal on but contrast still is terrible on it vs other display technologies.

Probably just coincidence but the 3 displays I've owned that suffered from it the worst were all Asus.

Xerequinha123

Yep, ips displays without mini led/FALD suffer from ips glow and BLB normal behavior.

Some are much better than others but all exhibit it to some extent. I have an LG that it's extremely minimal on but contrast still is terrible on it vs other display technologies.

Probably just coincidence but the 3 displays I've owned that suffered from it the worst were all Asus.
So it's almost impossible to get an IPS panel that doesn't have IPS Glow, right? Maybe I'm buying the wrong panel for myself, I'll see if I can return this one and get a monitor with a VA panel with a good response time and little ghosting. I don't see myself using a panel for 5 years that bothers me.

Not a defect.

That's just how IPS panels perform in a dark environment.

Switch to a VA or an OLED if you can't stand IPS glow.
So it's almost impossible to get an IPS panel that doesn't have IPS Glow, right? Maybe I'm buying the wrong panel for myself, I'll see if I can return this one and get a monitor with a VA panel with a good response time and little ghosting. I don't see myself using a panel for 5 years that bothers me. I prefer a little less colors and response time than ips glow.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
So it's almost impossible to get an IPS panel that doesn't have IPS Glow, right? Maybe I'm buying the wrong panel for myself, I'll see if I can return this one and get a monitor with a VA panel with a good response time and little ghosting. I don't see myself using a panel for 5 years that bothers me.

You can get them with very minimal glow but it's a lottery if you purchased 10 of the exact same model as yours they'd all exhibit it a bit different.

If you use your display in a dark room with dark images frequently a VA is probably your best bet just do your research becuase all display types have their pro/cons

Xerequinha123

Not a defect.

That's just how IPS panels perform in a dark environment.

Switch to a VA or an OLED if you can't stand IPS glow.

As I play games that have darker environments like Tarkov, Dayz, etc., it seems to me that the VA panel is the most interesting, perhaps these monitors that I bought are not defective, they just aren't for me.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

So it's almost impossible to get an IPS panel that doesn't have IPS Glow, right? Maybe I'm buying the wrong panel for myself, I'll see if I can return this one and get a monitor with a VA panel with a good response time and little ghosting. I don't see myself using a panel for 5 years that bothers me. I prefer a little less colors and response time than ips glow.

It's pretty much impossible, since all you are showing in your pictures is just pretty standard glow. 4 corners, with colder hue (blue) in the left corners and warmer hue (orange) in the right corners. No other uniformity issues out of the ordinary.

Of course, you can always return it to try again, but this is about as far as IPS panels go.

imo it either gets a bit better over time, or you just get more adjusted to it and don't really notice anymore. Either way, that's been my experience for the past few IPS panels.

If you can't stand shitty viewing angles, IPS. If you can't stand glow, then VA. If you can't stand both, then OLED is probably the only remaining option.

System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
So it's almost impossible to get an IPS panel that doesn't have IPS Glow, right?
Correct.

Maybe I'm buying the wrong panel for myself
That's just how IPS panels perform. If you can't stand that glow, whether the environment is dark or bright, forget all about IPS monitors and look elsewhere.

I'll see if I can return this one and get a monitor with a VA panel with a good response time and little ghosting.
Do just that.

I don't see myself using a panel for 5 years that bothers me.
The same.

I prefer a little less colors and response time than ips glow.
VA panels are not necessarily less colorful or slower than IPS ones, especially in 2024. The only downside of VA panels is the viewing angle which is not (or rather much less) perceptible if you're sitting right in the middle of the screen.

As I play games that have darker environments like Tarkov, Dayz, etc., it seems to me that the VA panel is the most interesting
That's exactly why I've made the switch to VA. It has to be said, NOTHING comes close to an OLED in this regard.

perhaps these monitors that I bought are not defective, they just aren't for me.
Now we're talking!

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
They appear to be edge lit, not truly backlit.
Look for a decent brand that has proper back lighting.