• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Z77-A or INTEL DZ68BC

Simon Templar

I have a question that I want to ask to see if someone can help me: four months ago my Intel i7 2600K motherboard stopped working (short circuit according to the technician) and I bought an used Asus Z77-A on Amazon but last week I saw that Amazon sold a NEW Intel DZ68BC card in its box identical to my previous one and I bought it because of the good experience of the previous one, (10 or 12 years) it came in its completely sealed and original unopened box and my question is: someone could help me decide which of the two, Asus Z77-A or Intel DZ68BC is better. For now I have two 1TB Samsung EVO 980 SSDs installed and all my old devices works perfectly and I would like to know your opinions on which of the two is better to use. I don't use the computer to play but for everything else and broadcasting and editing videos that I do for my Facebook page – SimonTemplar - Mustang Venezuela. I thank you in advance and greetings to all.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans replaced with Noctua
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLabs Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear, MX900 dual gas VESA mount
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet w/upgrade pads & LCD headband, Galaxy Buds 3 Pro, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU-R CNC Alu/Brass, SS Prismcaps W+Jellykey, LekkerV2 mod, TLabs Leath/Suede
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Apparently the Intel board has a lot of BIOS issues.

I'd keep the Z77-A. Compared to the Intel board it has better bios, better VRMs, and has PCI Xpress 3.0 instead of 2.0

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
The Asus Z77-A looks basic - like a low end Z77 board. The DZ68BC looks to be built better IMO.
I seen mostly good Intel boards at that time, especially the higher end ones.
Intel boards are not usually great for OC, even the high end ones.
The BIOS are probably older and harder to mod on Intel, but most people wont care.
It may be harder to find any drivers, if needed, for the Intel, due to them having completely dropped any support.
I have an Intel DZ77GA-70K that was been in operation since launch basically and it's still running fine, and I've retired or sold off many dozens of 2nd and 3rd gen Intel systems that were working still.
I've always had good luck with Asus too, but I avoid the cheap ones.
I'd take the "new" Z68 I think. It sounds like it worked good for you last time.

I'd keep the Z77-A. Compared to the Intel board it has better bios, better VRMs, and has PCI Xpress 3.0 instead of 2.0
The VRMs look not so great on the Z77-A, and 2600k will not have PCIe 3 even on Z77. I'd agree on BIOS though.
2645bb4954872b.png

Simon Templar

The Asus Z77-A looks basic - like a low end Z77 board. The DZ68BC looks to be built better IMO.
The BIOS are probably older and harder to mod on Intel, but most people wont care.
It may be harder to find any drivers, if needed, for the Intel, due to them having completely dropped any support.
I have an Intel DZ77GA-70K that was been in operation since launch basically and it's still running fine, and I've retired or sold off many dozens of 2nd and 3rd gen Intel systems that were working still.

The VRMs look not so great on the Z77-A, and 2600k will not have PCIe 3 even on Z77. I'd agree on BIOS thoug

I've always had good luck with Asus too, but I avoid the cheap ones.
I'd take the "new" Z68 I think. It sounds like it worked good for you last time.

The VRMs look not so great on the Z77-A, and 2600k will not have PCIe 3 even on Z77. I'd agree on BIOS though.
View attachment 266970
OK thanks for your answer. I think I'm going to replace my current Asus with the new Intel as the old one never gave me any problems, just one supposed short circuit since I bought it 10 or 12 years ago and I'll keep the Asus as long as I can update with the new technologies that they involve a totally new and complete computer with all its internal components. Thanks again.

OK thanks for your answer. I think I'm going to replace my current Asus with the new Intel as the old one never gave me any problems, just one supposed short circuit since I bought it 10 or 12 years ago and I'll keep the Asus as long as I can update with the new technologies that they involve a totally new and complete computer with all its internal components. Thanks again.