• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Issue

3XXII

I've owned this card for about 4 months now, never had any issues with crashing or performance until now. I recently updated my motherboard bios and I think there is a connection to the issues but I am not sure what it is.

I try to play Skyrim and after about 5 minutes I get vertical bars and the screen starts to turn black. I've been trying to monitor my card behavior and it seems like it's just not performing as it should. I try to play BF3 and it plays for a few minutes also and then just crashes and reboots the computer. Overheating isn't the issue because it never gets over 60. But clearly something is causing the card to not perform up to par with these games.

As soon as I start a game the usage jumps up to 98-100% and the heat goes jumps up to over 50. I have already tried reinstalling the drivers clean, doesn't seem to be the problem. I have used MSI Afterburner but also doesn't fix anything. For some reason the card is struggling on games it shouldn't and it seemed to be happening after the update I did to my Mobo Bios. Could it be a power problem? I have not touched anything with voltages.

Notes: I updated the BIOs for my motherboard so it could recognize the new memory I got. Also something I noticed was when I put my clocks to maximum the usage goes down and lowers temperature as well but still not where it should be. My GPU clock idles at 157mhz which is minimum and memory clock at 300mhz. It's almost as if the card is trying too hard to run games when it is clearly shouldn't break a sweat.

PC Specs:
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo Mobo
AMD Athlon X3 @ 3.0ghz
16Gb DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance memory
HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb ram 128bit

System Name Render Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Corsair H100i v2
Memory 32 Gigs Trident Z@2400 cl15
Video Card(s) Dual XFX RX 480 8gig
Storage 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda,2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250g Seagate Barracuda, 240g HyperX Predator M.2
Display(s) ACER 23.5, HP LE1911 x2
Case Modded Raidmax Agusta
Audio Device(s) Realtek 12 Series HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard CM Storm
Software Windows 10 x64
Im not sure if its wise to UN-update, but perhaps you could flash your BIOS back to the previous version and use your old RAM just as a test. Cant hurt. If the problem stops then you have found your malfunction.

What Ram were you using and what RAM did you purchase as an upgrade? Specs pleeez old n new

3XXII

Old: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
New: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

I had to update my bios because it wasn't recognizing the new memory. I remember my card running fine for a few days after the update though and with the new memory. Now when I start games the usage is way too high and it crashes or freezes. For whatever reason the card is not handling the load as it should.

streetfighter 2

Considering you just updated RAM I'd suggest running memtest.

If you're not familiar with memtest, be prepared to wait... like 12+ hours :D.

Usually reinstalling drivers and updating directx will fix most software based stability issues with gaming. I see that you already finished the first half, might as well try the second bit after you test the RAM.

3XXII

I don't think it's the memory, I have already tried removing it and putting my old memory back in with the card and the problem was still there.

For some reason the gpu clock and memory clock idle really low now and never used to. I would use CCC overdrive to increase the clocks and they were static where I put them but now they don't change unless I start a game. I have reinstalled drivers several times and I have the newest DirectX. The card is acting like it doesn't know how to run a game and it's overworking itself. Is the card just faulty? It just seems more like it's a technical problem then a hardware one.

Edit: Tried to put my old 4600 card in and the same thing is happening. So the card itself is not faulty, it has to be a communication issue with the motherboard and video card, right?

Last edited: