• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Attempting to OC an old GTX980 with the new UEFI patch

d337z

Hey all!
So, I've hit a bit of a snag here and was wondering if anyone could help me out. So, I'm broke (not asking for help with that) and can't afford to get a new GPU, so I've been using an old GTX980 that's served me well for many a year. The problem comes when I try to disable CSM on my overclocked card. I've modified the vBIOS with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker v1.36, but I've discovered a slight issue when doing so. When a modified vBIOS is installed, the NVidia Displayport 1.3 patcher (necessary to disable CSM and run PC in pure UEFI mode) refuses to patch the installed vBIOS. I can get around that by booting with a stock vBIOS, flashing the modified vBIOS and then running the patcher before restarting. The issue is that I lose any sort of HDMI sound capability which is necessary for my setup. When I try to UEFI patch the stock BIOS and then modify it with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker, the result is a corrupted vBIOS that won't even flash with the cert bypassed NVFlash.
Is there any way to produce a UEFI patched overclocked vBIOS/vUEFI to allow me to boot the system without CSM enabled so that I can have the best of both worlds here?
I've enclosed a read of my existing vBIOS, as it stands, with the patched UEFI mode.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• GM204.rom
    176 KB · Views: 3
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
A few questions. What is the scope of what you expect with overclocking as far as clocks, ect? Can this not be done with the stock firmware and using software like Afterburner?

If you are dead set on screwing with the firmware, it can be done with certain versions of nvflash once you have modded the tables with MBT. As far as modding those tables, do you know what you are doing? It's not for most people to stomach.

There's a few versions of nvflash that bypass certificates, ect. I can't remember off the top of my head but I am sure someone will link them here. Pretty sure they are hosted by TPU. Been a while since I messed with Maxwell firmware, but if you still need help I'll be available next week. You might have it figured out by then.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
If you are broke and cannot afford a replacement, my most precious advice is do not stress a 10 year old graphics card further for some extra frames. The juice ain't worth the squeeze, and with aged caps, aged thermal pads, aged paste (if you haven't replaced these recently) - the risk of damage goes up dramatically, if you need to get something extra out of it, just stick to an official bios and undervolt the card a little.

d337z

A few questions. What is the scope of what you expect with overclocking as far as clocks, ect? Can this not be done with the stock firmware and using software like Afterburner?

If you are dead set on screwing with the firmware, it can be done with certain versions of nvflash once you have modded the tables with MBT. As far as modding those tables, do you know what you are doing? It's not for most people to stomach.

There's a few versions of nvflash that bypass certificates, ect. I can't remember off the top of my head but I am sure someone will link them here. Pretty sure they are hosted by TPU. Been a while since I messed with Maxwell firmware, but if you still need help I'll be available next week. You might have it figured out by then.
These settings (and even the vBIOS) work with my GPU. I've copied over every single number, meticulously, to the UEFI patched vBIOS. I've been using this overclock for over a year now and it works extremely well. But, unfortunately, I've found myself needing to disable CSM and I can't get the patched stock to work well with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker. As soon as a single number changes, it renders the vBIOS corrupted even in the eyes of those cert bypass versions.
And I'm not worried about corrupting a bios at the moment. I can recover it fairly quickly. But I need to overclock to get some games to work properly and this overclock really does the trick in pushing through some of the frame lag.
I really feel that this is a limitation in the Maxwell BIOS Tweaker software in how it handles the UEFI side of the vBIOS.

Attachments

• classified980-MAX.rom
    176 KB · Views: 2
System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 14700K
Motherboard Asus Strix B660-G (clock gen)
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory DDR5 G.Skill Z5 RGB 6000mhz C36
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Super
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Corsair 1050w HX series
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce Max Freq 14700K 7.0ghz DryIce Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2

d337z

Going back to what I said, that doesn't work with the overclocked versions and overclocking the patched stock doesn't seem to work correctly in Maxwell BIOS Tweaker once the card is placed into UEFI mode. So is there a way to make the two play nicely together?

Processor i5 3570K - 4x @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W
As a fellow torturer long term OC'er of a GTX 980, I would also not recommend squeezing it hard after all those years, IF you can't afford to lose it.
Re-balled mine 4x now since 2014, the solder joints will crack with high heat cycling.

Just clean it, repaste the GPU and get Afterburner, like previously mentioned.
Then try a mild OC (1300-1350 Mhz @ Core), which will already net the lions share of extra performance without unnecessary high heat or voltages.

Even, if you push it to its absolute limits, any Arc A770, RTX 4060 or RX 7600 Entry level card will outperform it at their stock settings.

Last edited:

d337z

I'm well aware of its limits and the stress that I'm putting on it. But that's not the issue at hand. I'm somewhat forced to do a BIOS mod on this card so that I can maintain it in Linux and Windows without having to reset it each time. The ASIC is good and I take care of the thermal paste regularly. As a matter of fact, I'm lucky if I ever see the fans spin up under normal usage (including gaming) as the usage tends to be low (Thank you DXVK and Vulkan in general).
So, any idea why the patch and the overclocks aren't playing nicely together? And why would UEFI mode only cause the audio to state that it's run out of resources and fail to initialize?