• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bought XFX 560 4gb Second Hand - PC locks up when drivers installed

Azar

Hello,

A few months ago, I was trying to build a PC out of spare parts for one of my friend's kids. It didn't need to be anything crazy, just to run Minecraft and a few other non-GPU intensive games. Locally, someone listed a 560 4gb for 120 bucks, just had pictures of the card which appeared to be in great shape. I bought it, kid seemed nice enough, came in an anti-static bag and such. Got home, installed it and got a display, but when I booted into windows, it attempted to download drivers for the card and caused the PC to lock up.

If I leave the card in, it creates a no-boot condition. Screen just stays black. I uninstalled the card, switched to onboard graphics, used DDU to uninstall all drivers. Reinstalled the card, and same thing happened. Maybe I thought there could be a conflict with that specific PC, so I tried on my other computer with dual PCI slots. Same thing happened there.

I attempted to trouble shoot it for a while over the course of a week or so before giving up and accepting I was conned by a high schooler.

Fast forward to now, I got to thinking....what if it had been used for mining, and as 4gb couldn't be used for Ethereum around the time I had bought it...what if it had a bad flash on it? I found a bios that seems to match the sticker on the back of the card, and going through some tom foolery with ATIflasher (P/n mismatch on the windows version, ended up running it on boot and getting the rom flashed) I was optimistic that I had fixed the card....but nope, boots up, goes to get drivers and then kills itself.

Any ideas?

Sticker on back of card

BIOS I had used: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205824/205824

There were a few other BIOS I had flashed that were similar to the sticker, but all ended up in the same situation.

I could not find a BIOS switch anywhere on card.

GPU-z just puts out a general "windows display adaptor" info page...doesn't list shaders or anything. But if it would help, I could try and run it and get a picture before the PC freezes.

How did you go about installing the drivers? Since the issue first happened when windows tried to update the drivers, have you disabled automatic drivers updates ? Just to rule out windows forcing wrong drivers when you connect to the internet?
I’ve had similar issues and they were gone once I stopped windows from updating drivers for my gpu ,that’s why I am asking, it could a different issue though and I am just sharing my perspective..

Azar

....I know I'll be able to hear the collective sigh....but that's a thing? Oh my Lord, that would make a ton of sense. How do I go about preventing windows from getting my gpu drivers? Do I just run amd adrenaline or? How do I get my drivers?

I think I tried to get JUST 560 4gb drivers back when I first ran into this issue, and it died still. Now I'm wondering if it died before I could install the drivers because windows connected to the internet or something?

I'll have to try this in the next round of trouble shooting. Thanks!

easy way ( for testing) just disable automatic connection to WiFi networks and stay offline basically no Ethernet no wifi, install the recommended driver for your os and restart (also without internet) see if the gpu keeps working, the. Right ( or at least how I did it ) is 4 or five steps but since there are videos about it I might share the video instead of typing it all

*You want to make sure stays disabled all time until you confirm*
This method won’t allow you to install other drivers later on , if you want to update them in the future you need to disable this (while offline to avoid windows faulty drivers) and do your thing ....just keep that in mind . I hope you can fix your gpu good luck :) .

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Your first move should of been to return the card.

I will try to help but you need to follow directions

Hello,

A few months ago, I was trying to build a PC out of spare parts for one of my friend's kids. It didn't need to be anything crazy, just to run Minecraft and a few other non-GPU intensive games. Locally, someone listed a 560 4gb for 120 bucks, just had pictures of the card which appeared to be in great shape. I bought it, kid seemed nice enough, came in an anti-static bag and such. Got home, installed it and got a display, but when I booted into windows, it attempted to download drivers for the card and caused the PC to lock up.

If I leave the card in, it creates a no-boot condition. Screen just stays black. I uninstalled the card, switched to onboard graphics, used DDU to uninstall all drivers. Reinstalled the card, and same thing happened. Maybe I thought there could be a conflict with that specific PC, so I tried on my other computer with dual PCI slots. Same thing happened there.

I attempted to trouble shoot it for a while over the course of a week or so before giving up and accepting I was conned by a high schooler.

Fast forward to now, I got to thinking....what if it had been used for mining, and as 4gb couldn't be used for Ethereum around the time I had bought it...what if it had a bad flash on it? I found a bios that seems to match the sticker on the back of the card, and going through some tom foolery with ATIflasher (P/n mismatch on the windows version, ended up running it on boot and getting the rom flashed) I was optimistic that I had fixed the card....but nope, boots up, goes to get drivers and then kills itself.

Any ideas?

Sticker on back of card

BIOS I had used: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205824/205824

There were a few other BIOS I had flashed that were similar to the sticker, but all ended up in the same situation.

I could not find a BIOS switch anywhere on card.

GPU-z just puts out a general "windows display adaptor" info page...doesn't list shaders or anything. But if it would help, I could try and run it and get a picture before the PC freezes.

Azar

Your first move should of been to return the card.

I will try to help but you need to follow directions

I absolutely agree, and I talked to the seller and we agreed that I would return the card, so I drove 30 minutes back to meet up with him, where he didn't show up. Then ghosted me. It was a face to face deal, had it been eBay or similar, you're 100% right. It would already be back with the seller.

Okay! I can follow directions (I think), what would you have me do first?

System Name i'm done in
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory GSkil 64gb 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Power Color R7900xtx Hell Hound oh hell ya
Storage 2x wd sn770 2tb 1-4tb wd- hd 2x8tb wd hd actually 1 fire cuda
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 1440p 32" 165hz hdr monitor might go oled
Case Corsair 4000D Air Flow
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G5 80+ Gold
Mouse logitech and roccet wcord
Keyboard logitech
Software W10 forever
faulty gpu would be my guess.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I absolutely agree, and I talked to the seller and we agreed that I would return the card, so I drove 30 minutes back to meet up with him, where he didn't show up. Then ghosted me. It was a face to face deal, had it been eBay or similar, you're 100% right. It would already be back with the seller.

Okay! I can follow directions (I think), what would you have me do first?
Worst case is paying for an RMA.

Anyways, take the heatsink off and get a pic of a ram chip please

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Have you seen any damage on thr rest of the card?

This is your card specs.

From your card specs, it appears you have a 896SP model RX 560 which is known as the RX-560D

1024SP RX560 (RX560 XT)

Fyi you got the card on ebay correct? File a report with them about product fraud.

Do not attempt to flash anything yet.

Latest bios
2018 03 22

2018 01 12

2018 01 07

This says Unlock but is same as above by date

2017 07 27

Old verified bios
2017 07 24.

Last edited:

Azar

Have you seen any damage on thr rest of the card?

This is your card specs.

From your card specs, it appears you have a 896SP model RX 560 which is known as the RX-560D

1024SP RX560 (RX560 XT)

Fyi you got the card on ebay correct? File a report with them about product fraud.

This is a very old verified bios

Do not attempt to flash anything yet.

2017 07 24.

I gave it a once over and didn't see anything too crazy. Just a lot of thermal paste

I cleaned that up and will repaste when re-assembling here in a bit.

Yeah, to be honest, I had no idea there was a 560d until I looked at the sticker a few days back.

Worse than ebay, Facebook marketplace. I can't find the kid anymore, but when I did have his contact I bookmarked his mom's Facebook. Haha, maybe I should reach out to her to report the fraud.

Okay, no flashing yet! Got it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I gave it a once over and didn't see anything too crazy. Just a lot of thermal paste

I cleaned that up and will repaste when re-assembling here in a bit.

Yeah, to be honest, I had no idea there was a 560d until I looked at the sticker a few days back.

Worse than ebay, Facebook marketplace. I can't find the kid anymore, but when I did have his contact I bookmarked his mom's Facebook. Haha, maybe I should reach out to her to report the fraud.

Okay, no flashing yet! Got it.
Yes you should report the fraud to the mother, file police report as well.

I pulled everything from here excluding the old bios.

Im still writing.

Make sure your motherboard chipset drivers are latest.

Download the latest amdvbflash.zip from here extract it into its own directory on the C: Drive. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Then in that directory I want you to read the readme.txt and Guide.pdf to understand what you need to do.

Then download the latest bios only from my previous reply

Make sure to have the RX 560/560D drivers downloaded from AMD.com (Get Crimson/Adrenalin and also I suggest you get the Radeon Pro for Enterprise if available)

I need you to download the tool, Display Driver Uninstaller.

Make dure you have downloaded everything.

Disconnect from the internet whether lan/ethernet/cat5-8/rj45 cable is unplugged from your pc or wifi internet adapter is disabled/turned off.

Then I need you to remove the AMD Adrenalin/Crimson Drivers from the Windows Control Panel or Settings.
Then You need to run Display Driver Uninstaller and make sure to run it as if switching brands of GPU. Restart when instructed.

Then you need to run amdvbflashwin and select the bios uou downloaded, let me know if you get a mismatch prompt.

@Azar

Last edited:

Azar

Im still writing.

Make sure your motherboard chipset drivers are latest.

Download the latest amdvbflash.zip from here extract it into its own directory on the C: Drive. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Then in that directory I want you to read the readme.txt and Guide.pdf to understand what you need to do.

Then download the latest bios only from my previous reply

Make sure to have the RX 560/560D drivers downloaded from AMD.com (Get Crimson/Adrenalin and also I suggest you get the Radeon Pro for Enterprise if available)

I need you to download the tool, Display Driver Uninstaller.

Make dure you have downloaded everything.

Disconnect from the internet whether lan/ethernet/cat5-8/rj45 cable is unplugged from your pc or wifi internet adapter is disabled/turned off.

Then I need you to remove the AMD Adrenalin/Crimson Drivers from the Windows Control Panel or Settings.
Then You need to run Display Driver Uninstaller and make sure to run it as if switching brands of GPU. Restart when instructed.

Then you need to run amdvbflashwin and select the bios uou downloaded, let me know if you get a mismatch prompt.

@Azar

Perfect.

Since I had tried some stupid stuff prior to coming here and asking for help, I'll clean out the PC of any drivers and stuff I had previously downloaded and start from square 1 with your above instructions. I will do this tonight.

Thank you for your time, I'll update later tonight!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Perfect.

Since I had tried some stupid stuff prior to coming here and asking for help, I'll clean out the PC of any drivers and stuff I had previously downloaded and start from square 1 with your above instructions. I will do this tonight.

Thank you for your time, I'll update later tonight!

Thank you, yes keep us updated.

Azar

Followed your steps. Removed the old stuff. Downloaded everything on the list. Rebooted into safe mode, ran AMD Cleanup Utility. Then DDU (uninstalled my normal gtx 1070 drivers) and shut down. Re-installed card, ran flash utility and it gave me the below error.

P/N Mismatch

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Followed your steps. Removed the old stuff. Downloaded everything on the list. Rebooted into safe mode, ran AMD Cleanup Utility. Then DDU (uninstalled my normal gtx 1070 drivers) and shut down. Re-installed card, ran flash utility and it gave me the below error.

P/N Mismatch

Ok do you know how to use DOS/Command prompt?

Azar

Ok do you know how to use DOS/Command prompt?

Yup! But it still was giving me errors even when I was using the -F to try and force the flash. So, I noticed you said DOS prompt...I made a little boot drive thing and flashed the card with the latest bios, now. (I actually used EFI Shell instead of DOS) So I am on the most recent bios you had posted above.

2018 3 22

It's booted into Windows and awaiting further instruction!

Also, I just now realized I potentially skipped ahead instead of waiting for your instruction after the DOS/Command Prompt and am really hoping I didn't screw anything up....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok you jumped way too far, I asked about DOS because command prompt is a superset of DOS 6.0/7.0.

Did you already flash the card?

By the way go ahead and read the readme.txt and guide.pdf found in the amdvbflash directory you unzipped to.

Nvmd you did flash, open up gpu-z please

Yup! But it still was giving me errors even when I was using the -F to try and force the flash. So, I noticed you said DOS prompt...I made a little boot drive thing and flashed the card with the latest bios, now. (I actually used EFI Shell instead of DOS) So I am on the most recent bios you had posted above.

2018 3 22

It's booted into Windows and awaiting further instruction!

Also, I just now realized I potentially skipped ahead instead of waiting for your instruction after the DOS/Command Prompt and am really hoping I didn't screw anything up....

Yeah the latest flash tool you must do amdvbflash -? Or smdvbflash /? For all commands, -f was removed and replaced

@Azar

Azar

Fuck, sorry.

Here is gpu-z

And here is amdvbflash

Trying not to jump ahead, just flashed booted then the above screen shots. Haven't installed any drivers and still offline.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Fuck, sorry.

Here is gpu-z

And here is amdvbflash

Trying not to jump ahead, just flashed booted then the above screen shots. Haven't installed any drivers and still offline.

Ok go ahead, install motherboard chipset drivers if they are newer, restart, then gpu drivers, restart, if I were you, if you have them try the Radeon Pro Enterprise driver.

Do this with systemstill disconnected from internet.

@Azar

Azar

Hey there! Forgot to update after your last post...

I installed motherboard chipset drivers, restarted, went to install the GPU drivers and everything was going swimmingly but the Adrenaline install stalled out at 92%. I let it go for like 45 minutes and nothing changed. I force exited the install and cleaned up the failed drivers through AMD utility cleaner and DDU'd (both in safe mode). I tried to install through the Radeon Pro driver but it threw an error at me as well, but it allowed me to close out. I honestly may have been in safe mode and it failed for that? I'm really sorry, it was pretty late and I didn't take pictures of the specific error. This was all done with the PC disconeccted from the internet, and I had downloaded everything prior, the most recent version of adrenaline and radeon pro.

As late as it was, I had to call it for the night. I promised my boy we'd play Minecraft tonight so I had to remove the 560d and re-install the 1070 and get that setup to rock and move the PC from the troubleshooting area back to the desk. I'll continue tonight! I'm guessing next step would be to install radeon pro drivers, and take a picture of the error or at least write it down. But I'll await further instruction....sorry for the mini novel.

As always, thank you for your help!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hey there! Forgot to update after your last post...

I installed motherboard chipset drivers, restarted, went to install the GPU drivers and everything was going swimmingly but the Adrenaline install stalled out at 92%. I let it go for like 45 minutes and nothing changed. I force exited the install and cleaned up the failed drivers through AMD utility cleaner and DDU'd (both in safe mode). I tried to install through the Radeon Pro driver but it threw an error at me as well, but it allowed me to close out. I honestly may have been in safe mode and it failed for that? I'm really sorry, it was pretty late and I didn't take pictures of the specific error. This was all done with the PC disconeccted from the internet, and I had downloaded everything prior, the most recent version of adrenaline and radeon pro.

As late as it was, I had to call it for the night. I promised my boy we'd play Minecraft tonight so I had to remove the 560d and re-install the 1070 and get that setup to rock and move the PC from the troubleshooting area back to the desk. I'll continue tonight! I'm guessing next step would be to install radeon pro drivers, and take a picture of the error or at least write it down. But I'll await further instruction....sorry for the mini novel.

As always, thank you for your help!
I forgot to add yes make sure you are not in safe mode, let me know how it goes and if you still have problems, i would go into command prompt and Do a SFC command on the C:Drive,if it doesnt fix anything it can be presumed you truly got ripped off on the 560. This is why I am discriminatory of gpu buying from used market.

If you did get ripped off you can reach out to @XFXSupport and see if there are any loopholes.

System Name Medium
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling stock cooler
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 * 5870 in crossfire
Storage 1 40GB intel SSD and 1 750GB WD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case NZXT Vulcan
Audio Device(s) Logitech Clear Chat Pro USB Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake 680 pure power with 15A, 14A and 23A 12v rails
Software Windows 7 Premium x64
i just got an XFX RX 560 4GB off facebook too :)
the sticker on the back of the card says its the "RX-560D4S VC.0
gpu-z 2.46.0 reports:
GPU Baffin
ROPs/TMUs 16/56
Shaders 896
Pixel Fillrate 19.1 GPixels
Texture Fillrate 67.0 GTexels
Memory Size 4096 MB
Bandwidth 96.0 GB/s
GPU Clock 1196 MHz
Default Clock 1196
Memory 1500 MHz
Default Clock 1500 MHz

I would like to unlock my shaders and increase frequencies if possible.
i have 5600x cpu so no onboard graphics. only have the rx 560d for now.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
i just got an XFX RX 560 4GB off facebook too :)
the sticker on the back of the card says its the "RX-560D4S VC.0
gpu-z 2.46.0 reports:
GPU Baffin
ROPs/TMUs 16/56
Shaders 896
Pixel Fillrate 19.1 GPixels
Texture Fillrate 67.0 GTexels
Memory Size 4096 MB
Bandwidth 96.0 GB/s
GPU Clock 1196 MHz
Default Clock 1196
Memory 1500 MHz
Default Clock 1500 MHz

I would like to unlock my shaders and increase frequencies if possible.
i have 5600x cpu so no onboard graphics. only have the rx 560d for now.

Need a gpu-z screenshot, to include advanced tab-Ram/Memory.

Does the card work?

System Name Medium
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling stock cooler
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 * 5870 in crossfire
Storage 1 40GB intel SSD and 1 750GB WD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case NZXT Vulcan
Audio Device(s) Logitech Clear Chat Pro USB Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake 680 pure power with 15A, 14A and 23A 12v rails
Software Windows 7 Premium x64
Need a gpu-z screenshot, to include advanced tab-Ram/Memory.

Does the card work?
i took these 4 screenshots with gpu-z
hope it works but if you need anything else let me know
the video card does have a 6-pin power too.
card does appear to work ok to me so far.

1.gif
2.gif
3.gif
4.gif