• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Build A versus build B (with visual illustration): Which will be cooler?

System Name The Ryzenator
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm. AIO
Memory 64GB (4 X 16) G.Skill TridenZ Neo 3600MHz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11OC
Storage 2 X 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27"
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Chroma
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (Seasonic Prime Ultra)
Mouse Sandstrøm Premium SS133
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Chroma
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Hi guys.

Okay finally i have narrowed down all the components for my new build. Last thing though, is i keep going back and forth between air cooling and having a more "boring" look, or aio cooling with a fantastic looking rig (imo anyway).

Initially i swore to a clean, closed-case look with no rgb. Just a discrete monster of a machine. But underway while doing my research for parts, cases and general setup of a new build (as this is my first), i fell in love with the look of the Lian Li O11 Dynamic. So now i can't make up my mind, one day i wake up ready to order all the parts for setup A, and the next i feel for going all in on setup B.

It must be said that i usually prefer quality over looks, but as i stated the Lian Li case really caught my eye - and if i can manage to keep the performance of my finished setup in that case on par, or only slightly "worse" (hotter) than building in an air cooled Define R6, i would prefer to go for it. But if the setup A below will be much hotter than setup B, i will not risk it and go with the latter, ditching the "good looks" in return of superior performance/cooling.

I know exactly how i want both setups, i simply can't decide which one to go for, and therefore could use a little feedback from some of you with good experience in building. I will not be OC'ing (at least not for now) and will use the machine for everyday work (light to medium video editing, photoshop and normal office use) + some gaming from time to time. Please spare me the "overkill" comments, and save them for another good time :).

These are the components going into the build regardless if i go air or aio (marked with green borders in the illustration further down):

* Text marked in bold are already bought, waiting to be used
(X) Number before each component in this list, is to show location in illustration further down

• (1) Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi x570
  • (2) CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950x
  • (3) GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC 11GB
  • (4) Ram: 64 GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
  • (5) Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
  • (6) Additional storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
  • (7) PSU: Corsair RM850 (2019 model)
So this is the base, no matter if i go left and right from here.

Now to the tricky part. I will add the parts from list A if i go aio, or the parts from list B if i go air. All have been marked with yellow borders in the illustrations.

Setup A: Lian Li O11 Dynamic - Water (aio) cooled:
  • (8A) AIO: Deepcool Castle 360EX - top-mounted (≤17.8 dB)
  • (9A) Rad fans: 3 x 120 mm. specially tuned TF120S PWM stock fans (500~1800 RPM±10%, 64.4 CFM, 2.33 mmAq, ≤32.1 dB) - exhaust
  • (10A) Side/front fans: 3 x 120 mm. Antec Prizm 120 ARGB PWM fans (500~2000 RPM±10%, 45.1 CFM, 2.56 mmAq, ≤32.6 dB) - intake
  • (11A) Bottom fans: 3 x 120 mm. Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax fans (700~1200 RPM±10%, 63.2 CFM, 1.19 mmAq, ≤17.8 dB) - intake
Thinking of adding 1 x 80 mm. Noctua NF-A8 PWM Chromax fan as exhaust in the back if needed.

Setup B: Fractal Define R6 - Air cooled:
  • (8B) Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax (≤0 dB?)
  • (9B) Rad fans: 2 x 140 mm. Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax stock fans (max. 1500 RPM±10%, 82.5 CFM, 2.08 mmAq, ≤24.6 dB)
  • (10B) Front fans: 2 x 140 mm. Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax fans (max. 1500 RPM±10%, 82.5 CFM, 2.08 mmAq, ≤24.6 dB) - intake
  • (11B) Back fan: 1 x 140 mm. Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax fan (max. 1500 RPM±10%, 82.5 CFM, 2.08 mmAq, ≤24.6 dB) - exhaust
So to the million dollar question(s):
  1. Which build will be cooler in general?
  2. Which build will be quieter in general?
  3. What will the estimated differences roughly be in temperatures between the two?
  4. Under build A (Lian Li with aio): Would you add a 10th fan in the back (the 80 mm. Noctua NF-A8 PWM Chromax)?
  5. Any (not radical) tweak suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance :).

aio vs air2jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
  1. Which build will be cooler in general? the Lian Li with the 3 x 120MM fan AiO cooler
  2. Which build will be quieter in general? the R6 with less fans at lower RPM and the Noctua cooler
  3. What will the estimated differences roughly be in temperatures between the two? maybe 3-5c on the CPU and a wash on the GPU (nothing game breaking)
  4. Under build A (Lian Li with aio): Would you add a 10th fan in the back (the 80 mm. Noctua NF-A8 PWM Chromax)? yes more on that below
  5. Any suggestions (not radical) changes are welcome.
The R6 is built for silence not air flow so if cooler temps are your priority then its a simple choice. It's not that the R6 is a bad case, its an excellent case, but you would be relying on two front silts to create adequate intake air flow. If you want an R6 with air flow, get the Meshify v2 or the Phanteks P600s.

That said on the Lian Li; bottom front fan and the bottom side are going to be fighting each other. You may actually get lower GPU temps with no fans on the bottom and just let the GPU fans suck air in from the vented PCI slot covers and open bottom (maybe one fan to help bring in air on the bottom but away from the side fans).

GN did some tests and the side fans clearly help the GPU more then the bottom fans

I would also definitely add a rear fan even if it is a 80mm.

Last edited:
System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
12 fans vs 7, air cooled will be quieter because of that, but I would liquid cool it if you're seriously considering the 3950x because of higher overclocking potential.

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
  1. Which build will be cooler in general? the Lian Li with the 3 x 120MM fan AiO cooler
  2. Which build will be quieter in general? the R6 with less fans at lower RPM and the Noctua cooler
  3. What will the estimated differences roughly be in temperatures between the two? maybe 3-5c on the CPU and a wash on the GPU (nothing game breaking)
  4. Under build A (Lian Li with aio): Would you add a 10th fan in the back (the 80 mm. Noctua NF-A8 PWM Chromax)? yes more on that below
  5. Any suggestions (not radical) changes are welcome.
The R6 is built for silence not air flow so if cooler temps are your priority then its a simple choice. It's not the the R6 is a bad case, its an excellent case, but you would be relying on two silts to create adequate air flow. If you want an R6 with air flow, get the Meshify v2 or the Phanteks P600s.

That said on the Lian Li, bottom front fan on the and the bottom side are going to fighting each other. You may actually get lower GPU temps with no fans on the bottom and just let the GPU fans suck air in from the vented PCI slot covers and open bottom (maybe one fan to help bring in air on the bottom but away from the side fans).

I would also definitely add a rear fan even if it is a 80mm.

Thanks for your inputs dirtyferret, appreciated!

I've been looking at the Meshify S2 (i suppose that's the one you refer to right?), but ditched it last minut only because of the looks compared to the R6 - if i go air with this build, i want it as clean and minimalistic as possible, and i find the R6 cleaner looking than the S2 - primarily because of the mesh in front of the latter, which i'm not sure what to think about. But would definetely consider it, if you tell me it would dramatically lower temps compared to the R6. What are your estimations be on temp change if i go S2? Aio solution still cooler or?

In regards of the airflow in the Lian Li, i did consider the interuption of air in the lower right hand corner with my setup. I went with the 3 fans on bottom per HardwareCanucks video below, and general reviews on the best fan setup for the Lian Li O11:

Would having a softer airflow (less RPM) from one of the directions not help - let's say the air from below is being pushed harder than the one from the side - according to my (limited) case fan knowledge, i would assume the bottom intake air would "beat" the side/front intake, resulting in 1) Good GPU cooling and 2) cool air reaching high up in the case (at least from the bottom fan on the right), where it will be pushed towards the left, assisted by the rear 80 mm. exhasut fan, which would pull the air over the CPU/ram/heatsink area. Or am i wrong here?

Also one thing i'm a little worried about: The 3 front aRGB fans i would go for if i choose the Lian Li setup (Antec Prizm) look fantastic, and are one of very few decently performing fans with both Aura Sync and the rgb ring style (which i really like) on both sides of the fan (a must here as they will be set on intake) - but they are not entirely fantastic fans (Noctua, Be Silent ect. league) - would they be ok for the job still? I have considered Corsairs QL120 but they are equally "decent", cost a lot more (even though budget is not an issue) and won't sync with the rest of the rgb in my system. Alternatively i could go for the Thermaltake Riing Trio ones, they will sync with an additional controller of theirs, but from benchmarks they perform a little worse than the Prizm ones (45.1 vs 41.13 CFM), and are maybe also a little too bright for my liking.

12 fans vs 7, air cooled will be quieter because of that, but I would liquid cool it if you're seriously considering the 3950x because of higher overclocking potential.

Not neccesarily?

With more fans i guess i would be able to run them all on lower RPM = less noise, contrary fewer fans which would have to work harder each to reach the same level of cooling = more noise?

Excuse me if i'm being wrong here, as mentioned i'm new to building. It's just the general impression i've got from doing less vs. more fans research.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Benchmark Scores Over 9000
This is an assumption, but I think you need to let go of the 'more fans is always better' idea in your head.

Airflow and most other things in a PC are about efficiency and balance, not sheer amount. A smart setup and a 'less is more' approach tends to work fairly well most of the time. Another rule of thumb is that of diminishing returns, it happens big time with anything you do past the norm or trying to get past 'temperature equilibrium' or try to lower the temp at which that happens. A good example is fan speeds. The gain from going to 100% fan is minimal at best, over a non-jetplane like speed.

The norm is 2x front IN / 1x back OUT. Anything on top of that needs to have a specific purpose. The reality is that air is everywhere and your case is the warmer part of the room so simple physics will do your work for you. You only want to assist them and remove obstruction (=efficiency).

I cannot tell you in detail which setup will be cooler specifically for these parts. But some considerations I do have;

- Pick ONE airflow direction and shy away from multiple intake airflow directions. Having a second intake at a 90 degree angle is bad. Outtake not so much; hot air just needs to go out asap. That is why you see exhaust at the top for AIOs, because GPU heat will already 'fill' the outtake at the back; you risk capturing heat above the GPU.

- Bottom > top airflows have a general problem and that is you are passing cool intake past the hottest and usually highest TDP part in your PC. If the GPU works, it usually takes all of its TDP budget. The CPU however is much more efficient most of the time and has far more idle time. Furthermore, that cool intake is then blocked by a bulky GPU before reaching the CPU. Additionally, the heat coming from the GPU back(plate) gets little to no airflow either and rises to the CPU heatsink.

- Front intake has the advantage of providing the same cool air to both GPU and CPU as you use the entire front height. No obstructions either.

- Side fan for GPU is usually spotted around the second half toward the back of the case; basically, your front intake is already turning into an outtake there, and the side fan just provides some extra cool air to the rear end of the GPU, and then quickly flows to the outtakes. Its barely an obstruction but I'd only use one if you see above the norm GPU temps, and only AFTER having added more front intakes.

All said and done, but this is personal preference; the AIO route will give you little gain, even for overclocking. If you want to chase low temps, get a custom loop. If you want to chase silence, go the Noctua / dualstack tower air build. An AIO really isn't something I'd recommend easily over air and if you're on the fence, don't even think further about it, stick to air. Its cheaper, quieter, easier to repair and clean, and it lasts.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
aio pump running along 3x120mm fans = forget about quiet.

the noise from 140mm airflow optimized fans sounds completely different than 120mm pressure optimized fans and the aio pump.

I'd rather put two quality 140mm fans in my case than have 4 of any fans.
d15s on the CPU and 1x140mm intake + 1x140mm exhaust with SilentWings3.Top cover open.Front dust filter off.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours
Thanks for your inputs dirtyferret, appreciated!

I've been looking at the Meshify S2 (i suppose that's the one you refer to right?), but ditched it last minut only because of the looks compared to the R6 - if i go air with this build, i want it as clean and minimalistic as possible, and i find the R6 cleaner looking than the S2 - primarily because of the mesh in front of the latter, which i'm not sure what to think about. But would definetely consider it, if you tell me it would dramatically lower temps compared to the R6. What are your estimations be on temp change if i go S2? Aio solution still cooler or?

I have a Phanteks P400 with both a closed front (with two slits for air intake) and a mesh front. My CPU temps drop 5c with the mesh front. Unless you are chasing the best OC possible or have major heat issues, 5C is not a major real world difference. That said, if you want a minimal clean look to your case then get one.

In regards of the airflow in the Lian Li, i did consider the interuption of air in the lower right hand corner with my setup. I went with the 3 fans on bottom per HardwareCanucks video below, and general reviews on the best fan setup for the Lian Li O11:

I enjoy Hardware canucks videos as well but they are more for style and less for substance. The six fan set up looks sweet if you like RGB but I would go three fans and one rear exhaust for performance.

Would having a softer airflow (less RPM) from one of the directions not help - let's say the air from below is being pushed harder than the one from the side - according to my (limited) case fan knowledge, i would assume the bottom intake air would "beat" the side/front intake, resulting in 1) Good GPU cooling and 2) cool air reaching high up in the case (at least from the bottom fan on the right), where it will be pushed towards the left, assisted by the rear 80 mm. exhasut fan, which would pull the air over the CPU/ram/heatsink area. Or am i wrong here?

Think of airflow as people entering and leaving a stadium or theater. If I have one entrance heading into a second entrance like the side/bottom fan set up then people are going to knock each other over and you will get a big mess of people in one area with no where to go. Same thing happens in cases. The best set up is a clear entry point with a smooth transition to a clear exit point.

GPUs are a mixed bag since video cards with multiple fans use the back of the case (your vented PCI slot covers) as a way to pull in outside cooler air as well as the front of the case and bottom of the case. Having a high RPM case fan blow into the GPU fans can be counter productive especially if the GPU fans have easy access to outside air.

If I was going AIO with the Lian Li I would set it up with three side fans and no fans on the bottom. The GN results above show this as the best set up. I would then install a rear exhaust fan as well.

If I was going Air Cooler in the Lian LI (its limited in height to many coolers) then I would go with three fans on the bottom for intake and three fans on the top for outake (like the old Silverstone Raven case) and leave the side open. That said I'm not crazy over that case for air cooling and would not be shocked if three fans on the side still beat the bottom to top air path.

The Antec fans are fine and this that is coming from a Noctua fan (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
I have a Phanteks P400 with both a closed front (with two slits for air intake) and a mesh front. My CPU temps drop 5c with the mesh front. That said unless you are chasing the best OC possible or have major heat issues, 5C is not a major real world difference. That said, if you want a minimal clean look to your case then get one.

I enjoy Hardware canucks videos as well but they are more for style and less for substance. The six fan set up looks sweet if you like RGB but I would go three fans and one rear exhaust for performance.

Think of airflow as people coming entering and leaving a stadium or theater. If I have one entrance heading into a second entrance like the side/bottom fan set up then people are going to knock each other over and you will get a big mess of people in one area with no where to go. Same thing happens in cases. The best set up is a clear entry point with a smooth transition to a clear exit point.

That said GPUs are a mixed bag since video cards with multiple fans use the back of the case (your vented PCI slot covers) as a way to pull in outside cooler air as well as the front of the case and bottom of the case. Having a high RPM case blow into the GPU fans can be counter productive especially if they have easy access to outside air.

If I was going AIO with the Lian Li I would set it up with three side fans and no fans on the bottom. The GN results above show this as the best set up. I would then install a rear exhaust fan as well.

If I was going Air Cooler in the Lian LI (its limited in height to many coolers) then I would go with three fans on the bottom for intake and three fans on the top for outake (like the old Silverstone Raven case) and leave the side open. That said I'm not crazy over that case for air cooling and would not be shocked if three fans on the side still beat the bottom to top air path.

The Antec fans are fine and this that is coming from a Noctua fan (no pun intended)

Thanks again.

So if i go 3 x intake on front/side, AIO with rad exhaust on top, and 1 x 80 mm. exhaust in the back - you still think the Prizms will be enough?

Case fancier than yours
Thanks again.

So if i go 3 x intake on front/side, AIO with rad exhaust on top, and 1 x 80 mm. exhaust in the back - you still think the Prizms will be enough?

Plenty, that is a good set up.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Everything depends on how the room temperature is.

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Everything depends on how the room temperature is.

Room temps 21-23 degrees. But i'm looking for difference in temps between the two, not a certain number for total temp of the setups.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Imo get x62 280mm over the 360mm from deepcool

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Imo get x62 280mm over the 360mm from deepcool
Almost no difference as far as i see on several tests. Also the Castle syncs with Asus Aura, which Kraken unfortunately doesn't. Also i don't feel for installing mallware for fun (CAM). Was my second choice though (until i read about CAM), together with the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R.

Last edited:
System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
both looks good, i would say both yes:)

Over here, right where you least expect me to be !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
80mm fan ? ewwww....yuk......puke...... who the hell uses these nowadays anyways (other than some low life junk parts salesmen and/or bargin basement chino-knockoffs,)

Since you appear to like 120mm fans, stick with them all over, to keep everything balanced & symmetrical.

Both of the set-ups look as thought they will do well, but if you ask a 1000 people here, which you have done, you will most likely get about a 50-50 response ratio for one or the other rig......

Personally, I prefer the AIO set-up, based solely on my own experiences over the past 20 yrs or so, but then again, thats just me, hehehe ...:laugh:....:p...:clap:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Suprim X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQL1A x2 2560x1440 8bit IPS
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
More fans doesnt always mean cooler depending on fans / airflow etc you can result in worse temps as fans compete with or cause distortions in airflow.

As for the AIO vs Noctua cooler, well the two actually trade blows (reviewed both) and suffice to say while they trade blows the Noctua is far quieter when both are pushed hard. 43 dBA vs 46 dBA.

Realistically speaking the AIO with extra fans in the Dynamic case will look pretty but otherwise is a worthless investment that won't generate any discernible difference.

And since you have 3 intakes on bottom and 3 on the side that results in positive pressure which typically for me in my own testing results in greater dust build up. The setup will also result in more dust sticking to the glass panel making it appear dirty rather quickly. Where as a balanced Intake / exhaust or more exhaust typically means the exhaust fans collect the dust meaning a quick hit with some compressed air and a vac on the other side of the opening takes care of it quick and easy.

Eitherway temperature wise both systems will be about the same CPU wise, GPU wise the Dynamic will be a bit lower but not enough to matter.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours
80mm fan ? ewwww....yuk......puke...... who the hell uses these nowadays anyways (other than some low life junk parts salesmen and/or bargin basement chino-knockoffs,)

Perhaps if you sent a strongly worded letter to Lian Li case design they can fix the issue

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Perhaps if you sent a strongly worded letter to Lian Li case design they can fix the issue
They did, the 011 dynamic had no fan fit point at all , newer versions (not sure if they changed number) have room for a rear fan upto 120mm afaik and the case is bigger in some areas allowing a rad to more easily fit at the bottom.
I have a pc011 dynamic with custom cooling but either way I would run my air the same , 3 in fans(120) at the bottom and the side and top as exhaust (mine are both radiatorsx360).
The bottom fans and top rad are primarily linked to Gpu temp with the rear one cooling the cpu, works well.

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.

Since you appear to like 120mm fans, stick with them all over, to keep everything balanced & symmetrical.
Because the case doesnt support fans In the back. Even mounting the 80 mm. would have to be a homemade custom solution which might just work. Anything bigger Will not fit there.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Because the case doesnt support fans In the back. Even mounting the 80 mm. would have to be a homemade custom solution which might just work. Anything bigger Will not fit there.
Ghetto Modding is in most every geeks blood.

Choosing a case is always a PITA, some cases are better for watercooling like the R6 while the chosen Lian Li is ok for both. Having said that, knowing what components you have or want to install and how you want to cool it ( air/water) should be decided before choosing a case. Also, you want to consider future upgrades, like going from AIO to full custom loops.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's not worth it, fitting the 80mm , it is a bit of an all or nothing case , I've been thinking about how i might fill it if I were you and honestly I would go aio at the beside the motherboard to back rad mount , the bottom and top fitted with 3x120 each, it would look as cool as is possible with max aio on show.
And three top and bottom fans with reasonably equal cross flow will cool excellent regardless of what's going inside, it really is the Optimal setup surpassing mine since fitting Any rad at the top restricts airflow and hence increases noise.
When it comes to cooling getting the heat out quickest and in a direct and short path leafs to minimalised noise and energy(to cool) use.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro

The O11 XL fits a 120mm fan in back that's their answer to the 80mm regular version.

@Emiliano85 if budget isn't an issues buy both setups test them out and see what you like better. I vote first build but with the XL version of the case.

I Couldn't find any 3950X results with either cooler but the 3900X results with that Captain cooler which should be pretty identical if not a little lower on the 3950X are impressive.
Temps1.png

If you run stock settings it seems you can run the cooler around 1100 rpm and only hit 71C pretty good stuff for an hour long blender test.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Benchmark Scores Over 9000
Be wary with those Deepcool Castles. Apparently its a new sort of pump. And as always, new is risky. That said, the x62's have Asetek pumps and while pretty quiet, are not fantastic and definitely have finite lifespans. Reading about the Castle, nowhere do I read they get fantastic results over high end air. In some cases the air setups do better, even, on recent CPUs.

Basically, you're paying a lot of money for bling bling and no additional performance plus finite lifespan. Be aware that is what you're doing. If that's fine, its fine. The system will run fine regardless of choice. My summary here is that you're making an awful lot of sacrifices for cosmetics, and that includes the case choice wrt the Lian Li.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
These are the best professional results I could find with similar coolers. Keep in mind they do these test on an open test bench so results in any case regardless of how good the airflow is will be higher.

Also the 011 dynamic beats the R6 even at air cooling with 3-4 fans.

Last edited: