• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can a damaged motherboard onboard audio cause randomly audio popping / crackling?

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Motherboard TUF B550M GAMING PLUS
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Memory 16GB RAM DUAL CHANNEL 3200MHZ STOCK
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 GIGABYTE 12GB WINDFORCE
Storage 1TB HDD 256GB SSD
Display(s) LG ULTRAGEAR 144HZ
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Audio Device(s) MOTHERBOARD AUDIO
Power Supply XPG ADATA PYLON 650W
Mouse REDRAGON COBRA M711 V2
Software WINDOWS 11
Hello

i have a b550m gaming plus and i´ve hearing some rare crackling / popping noises ( rare to diagnose)

i did not change anything on my system yet i hear the popping

Is there a way to test the motherboard audio or is there something that i could do to diagnose better?

it doesn´t follow a pattern , it just happens randomly

I´ve checked motherboard traces and they are apparently ok ( as well as motherboard overall status)

my cpu is ryzen 7 5700x and 16gb ram 3200 mhz no OC (system has no oc at all)

also latest drivers

Thanks

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
It can. Easiest way to check would be to source an inexpensive USB DAC (even a simple USB dongle would do) and see if this behavior cleans up with that. The idea is to bypass the on-board circuitry completely.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
It can. Easiest way to check would be to source an inexpensive USB DAC (even a simple USB dongle would do) and see if this behavior cleans up with that. The idea is to bypass the on-board circuitry completely.
do you think it is possible to happen at very random intervals ? like this happens sometimes every once in a month / 20 days maybe

would it be way more frequent somehow?

thanks

do you think it is possible to happen at very random intervals ? like this happens sometimes every once in a month / 20 days maybe

would it be way more frequent somehow?

thanks
isn´t there a way to test with that motherboard dongle speaker ? with beeps

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
It can happen randomly, sure. Said crackling or popping might not be hardware related too, but rather the result of OS shenanigans causing extreme spikes in latency, which you might try monitoring via LatencyMon. If that comes out clean and if said pops aren’t seemingly related to, say, high CPU activity, then you can go to the external DAC solution I proposed above. Overall, onboard audio can be a pain both in use and to troubleshoot, unfortunately.

isn´t there a way to test with that motherboard dongle speaker ? with beeps
PC beep speaker is unrelated to the function of onboard audio chip. So no, not really.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
It can happen randomly, sure. Said crackling or popping might not be hardware related too, but rather the result of OS shenanigans causing extreme spikes in latency, which you might try monitoring via LatencyMon. If that comes out clean and if said pops aren’t seemingly related to, say, high CPU activity, then you can go to the external DAC solution I proposed above. Overall, onboard audio can be a pain both in use and to troubleshoot, unfortunately.

PC beep speaker is unrelated to the function of onboard audio chip. So no, not really.
hmm i see

i tried latency mon before and it is always green

because of this i´m suspecting it is my motherboard

hmm i see

i tried latency mon before and it is always green

because of this i´m suspecting it is my motherboard
what i find it weird is the gap between when this happens

if it is a hardware issue after all , wouldn´t it be way more frequent ? the audio quality works but i have this extremely random pop / crackle

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
As I said, guesswork is pointless here. If you want to isolate the problem you have to bypass the onboard, preferably also while turning it off in the UEFI, and see if that stops the issue. Proceed from there.
Of course, there is also a chance that it is not the source, but the transducer, i.e your headphones or speakers, but the idea then is the same - try another one and see if it helps.
Or, you know, if it’s THAT infrequent and doesn’t bother you to a significant extent you could just leave it be. And, before you ask, it’s unlikely to be a sign that your motherboard overall is starting to go - that would have more frequent and obvious signs.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
As I said, guesswork is pointless here. If you want to isolate the problem you have to bypass the onboard, preferably also while turning it off in the UEFI, and see if that stops the issue. Proceed from there.
Of course, there is also a chance that it is not the source, but the transducer, i.e your headphones or speakers, but the idea then is the same - try another one and see if it helps.
Or, you know, if it’s THAT infrequent and doesn’t bother you to a significant extent you could just leave it be. And, before you ask, it’s unlikely to be a sign that your motherboard overall is starting to go - that would have more frequent and obvious signs.
yes that is what i also thought as well

i can confirm it is very rare to happen and if the motherboard is busted at all i thought i would be way more frequent as well

do you think there could be any other factor ? like some interference

i dont think my room has any but i´m not sure

also could be how my motherboard is mounted on my case maybe? if it is shorting or stuff

thanks

yes that is what i also thought as well

i can confirm it is very rare to happen and if the motherboard is busted at all i thought i would be way more frequent as well

i dont think my room has any but i´m not sure

also could be how my motherboard is mounted on my case maybe? if it is shorting or stuff

thanks
or could this be my psu or even the gpu lanes configuration ? pci 3 or 4 as well

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
EMI could be the culprit, but that too would be solved by an external DAC. Since said interference would be INSIDE the PC, not the room.

Uh, potentially? But I would hope that you’ve already checked if all the stand-offs are in place and the board is properly screwed in.

or could this be my psu or even the gpu lanes configuration ? pci 3 or 4 as well
Unless your PSU is terrible - unlikely. And no, PCIe lane config shouldn’t affect the onboard audio.

Anyway, I don’t think spitballing every potential cause, however unlikely, is very helpful here. I offered the solutions that come to mind to ME. Other users may offer their input, if I missed something. How you proceed from here is your call.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
EMI could be the culprit, but that too would be solved by an external DAC. Since said interference would be INSIDE the PC, not the room.

Uh, potentially? But I would hope that you’ve already checked if all the stand-offs are in place and the board is properly screwed in.

Unless your PSU is terrible - unlikely. And no, PCIe lane config shouldn’t affect the onboard audio.

Anyway, I don’t think spitballing every potential cause, however unlikely, is very helpful here. I offered the solutions that come to mind to ME. Other users may offer their input, if I missed something. How you proceed from here is your call.
my motherboard is properly screwed but i´m wondering if it is touching / contacting something it should not maybe

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Does this popping occur independently of any other sounds, for example, when otherwise there are no sounds? Or only when listening to the audio of tunes or videos, for example?

Are ALL cables securely connected and undamaged?

Is this a brand new build? Has the problem been happening since day 1 of the build? If you have been using this computer for some time with no problems, and now, suddenly the problem started, it is not likely a motherboard mounting problem - assuming all the motherboard mounting screws and cables are in tight and secure.

If this is a new build, note a common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to a wide assortment of odd problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). To add to the confusion, these issues may be intermittent, depending on heat, expansion/contraction of materials, as well as continuity/resistance through the contact point.

So if this is a relatively new build and the problem have been happening from the start, and you not sure you ONLY have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole, then it may be worth removing the board and verifying that. And if me, and I already had the board out of the case, I would temporarily assemble the computer on a large cutting/bread board and see (listen) for the problem there.

I don't see where you tried headphones. This is important because external speakers use additional electronics and amplifiers to drive those speakers. If no problem with the headphones, the problem may be with your external speakers.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
Does this popping occur independently of any other sounds, for example, when otherwise there are no sounds? Or only when listening to the audio of tunes or videos, for example?

Are ALL cables securely connected and undamaged?

Is this a brand new build? Has the problem been happening since day 1 of the build? If you have been using this computer for some time with no problems, and now, suddenly the problem started, it is not likely a motherboard mounting problem - assuming all the motherboard mounting screws and cables are in tight and secure.

If this is a new build, note a common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to a wide assortment of odd problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). To add to the confusion, these issues may be intermittent, depending on heat, expansion/contraction of materials, as well as continuity/resistance through the contact point.

So if this is a relatively new build and the problem have been happening from the start, and you not sure you ONLY have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole, then it may be worth removing the board and verifying that. And if me, and I already had the board out of the case, I would temporarily assemble the computer on a large cutting/bread board and see (listen) for the problem there.

I don't see where you tried headphones. This is important because external speakers use additional electronics and amplifiers to drive those speakers. If no problem with the headphones, the problem may be with your external speakers.
It happens only when there is sound playing , i never heard any popping when there is no sound

It happened when playing r6 siege ( it was very brief , low and hard to hear)

But it happened more than once ( but in about 20 days to 1 month gap between each )

All cables are properly seated and no damage

I´m using the 6 default screws to the motherboard

Is it bad for the case and / or wires to touch the mobo maybe?

I´m not using any standoff as well

I didn´t have this problem since the beginning , it started recently ( no changes to headset , mobo or anything else at all)

Also my latencymon result is green

thanks

It happens only when there is sound playing , i never heard any popping when there is no sound

It happened when playing r6 siege ( it was very brief , low and hard to hear)

But it happened more than once ( but in about 20 days to 1 month gap between each )

All cables are properly seated and no damage

Is it bad for the case and / or wires to touch the mobo maybe?

I didn´t have this problem since the beginning , it started recently ( no changes to headset , mobo or anything else at all)

Also my latencymon result is green

thanks
what i find it weird is the gap between when it happens

wouldn´t it be way more frequent / constant if it were a hardware issue maybe ?

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
Just get a USB sound"card". Not worth worrying about for $30.
is the quality better than mobos ? or should i get one pci as well ?

i´m currently using am4 but the pci sound card would work on future mobos as well right ?

thanks

i´m currently using am4 but the pci sound card would work on future mobos as well right ?

thanks
it is tough because everything on the mobo works fine , it is not wise to throw the whole mobo just because of audio i think

do you guys think it could be the cpu maybe ? the pins are not bent ( checked ) but maybe the audio pins are factory damaged maybe

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Most half-decent USB DACs will be indistinguishable from onboard, sometimes better.

do you guys think it could be the cpu maybe ? the pins are not bent ( checked ) but maybe the audio pins are factory damaged maybe
No. That’s not how CPUs work. There are no “audio pins”. Processors are not what produces sound in your PC.

Again, you are overcomplicating and overthinking a fairly simple issue without seemingly understanding it. You’ve been advised on actions to take. Ultimately, why the issue happens is immaterial in this case. If the USB DAC fixes it (and it 90% of the time will), then what exactly causes it doesn’t matter since functionality is then fully restored.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
Most half-decent USB DACs will be indistinguishable from onboard, sometimes better.

No. That’s not how CPUs work. There are no “audio pins”. Processors are not what produces sound in your PC.

Again, you are overcomplicating and overthinking a fairly simple issue without seemingly understanding it. You’ve been advised on actions to take. Ultimately, why the issue happens is immaterial in this case. If the USB DAC fixes it (and it 90% of the time will), then what exactly causes it doesn’t matter since functionality is then fully restored.
hmm i see

is there one dac that you could recommend maybe ? better than my mobo audio

thanks

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
It doesn’t matter in your case. You can buy an Apple USB-C to 3.5 headphone dongle for peanuts and it will do just fine. If you want something actually meaty as a full on DAC/AMP for headphones, then it will be dependent on what headphones you want to run and your budget.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins

Sound-wise there is no reason why PCIe or USB should be inherently different. USB is much more practical and doesn't take up a slot, though. Just make sure you have a good USB cable.

I use this USB sucker with good success:

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not good enough. It is critical to understand cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards, of different sizes. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than some boards have mounting holes. Therefore, especially if this problem has been happening since the computer was first built, you need to ensure the case only has an inserted standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.
:eek: What do you mean? There are 1000s of component leads sticking out from the bottom of the motherboard. They, as in, not a single one must NOT ever touch the case. This requires the motherboard sit ~1/4 inch above the case's back panel to ensure enough clearance between the board and the case. Therefore, some form of stand off MUST be used to elevate the board. There is no option here. It must be done. Period!

Now there are some cases that have what amount to built in stand-offs. But if this is your case, the images clearly show no built-in standoffs. Therefore, the computer assembler MUST install stand-offs in the "required" locations BEFORE mounting the motherboard.

Also understand the standoffs serve another purpose. They position the motherboard at the correct height off the "floor" of the case so the I/O panel of the motherboard, as well as the PCIe expansion card slots align properly with the openings in the case for things like graphics cards, mouse and keyboard cables, Ethernet and monitor cables, ect. Do yours? If not, you got an assembly problem and a very possible serious, potential damage issue.

If I heard an occasional pop through my speakers once in 20 to 30 days, not sure it would be something I worry about. In any case, you might want to make sure you are connected to a properly wired and grounded outlet. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK, or this one for German outlets) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
hey guys i think it happened again

will upload a video soon

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 1x27" 1440 display 1x 24" 1080 display
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Archlinux, Manjaro, Win11 Ent 24h2
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
I've had this. If you are running through an amp, check all input and output cables. Try a usb dac. Many reasons for this to happen.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11

notice it as long as i leave the drone there is a popping

this happens randomly during gameplay

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
If you not sure about a standoff contact you should probably remove the board to check, no matter how annoying that may be, one area I take extensive care on when building a machine is to make sure the standoff configuration is proper.

This is why standoffs are not permanently fixed to cases, as different board layouts use a different standoff layout. I think only the most central standoff fits all boards.

System Name desktop
Processor i5 11600k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3600MHz, CL18
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF Gaming - OC Edition
Storage 2TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator 1440p
Could be interference from something perhaps but my cracks and pops went away getting new mobo upgrade and i guess better audio chip.

System Name SYSTEM
Processor RYZEN 7 5700X
Cooling AG620 CPU COOLER
Case AIGO DARK FLASH
Software WINDOWS 11
hey guys i just took my motherboard out of the case to do some inspection and i noticed that just the audio lanes have 1 scratch

could it be the cause of said popping / crackling ? will upload picture soon

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3800
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
I remember this being a common thing when VSOC is out of proper range. Pull some numbers.