• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can anyone figure out what's wrong with my laptop?

Percules

So I've had this Razer Blade 2018 (Advanced) and I've tried to take care of it as well as I could; I've spent so much on things like liquid metal, various thermal paste compounds, thermal pads, even going as far as to purchasing a Samsung 980 PRO SSD because I was losing hope on things that could cool my laptop (I know, it sounds stupid, but I really was desperate).

I've defaulted the settings, so that hopefully people can make some suggestions that may take my default profile towards a better one, but I have tried different undervolts (-125.0v), and considering Razer's laptops actually come undervolted (from what I heard), it's weird that I'm still getting such high temperatures.

The ONLY way for me to keep temps below 80 is to drop the default "6 Cores Active" option under 'Turbo Ratio Limits', down from 39 to 29. But this causes a huge drop in FPS and makes things unplayable. Any higher than that, and I average 84 (which isn't bad) but I very frequently and aggressively spike up to 100 for half a second. Either way, in both scenarios I get a constant yellow EDP Other under my ring, which is even more confusing.

I've already reset my laptop more times than I can imagine, tweaked a bunch of stuff in registry, etc.

I have resetted this laptop, and everything right now is at its default. I played a few mins of Valorant, and attached is the log from that session.

Please, if anyone out there could help me find my ideal settings, I would really, truly appreciate it. This has been killing me for so, so long and I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks to anyone who lends a hand!

Attachments

• 1650939433727.png
    1650939433727.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 1650939438043.png
    1650939438043.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 1650939443221.png
    1650939443221.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 2022-04-25.txt
    50 KB · Views: 86

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
it's weird that I'm still getting such high temperatures
Your Razer laptop has barely adequate cooling. You are not the first Razer owner that I have tried to help with this problem. There is only so much you can do with ThrottleStop if the heatsink and fan are inadequate.

Start by downloading ThrottleStop 9.4.6
Copy the new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder.

Your FIVR settings show that the CPU core is not undervolted. It shows an undervolt on the cache but not on the core. That is strange. Check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for both the core and the cache and start by setting both of these to a negative offset voltage of -125.0 mV. Press the Apply button and you should be able to see these two values in the offset voltage column in the FIVR monitoring table at the top right.

Try that first and see if it improves things. If you are stable, leave the cache undervolt at -125 mV and try bumping only the core up to -150 mV, -175 mV and -200 mV. Play a game and make sure you are stable at each step before trying for more. Using different voltage requests has helped some 8750H users. If you find you are not stable, try reducing the cache first to -120 mV before reducing the core.

If you plan to run ThrottleStop all of the time I would check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Speed Shift is the modern way to control CPU speed. Intel specifically designed this control method for laptops and introduced it to the 6th Gen CPUs. No idea why some manufacturers using 8th Gen CPUs did not enable this in the BIOS like they were supposed to. At least you can use ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift.

After Speed Shift is enabled, you should see SST in green on the main screen of ThrottleStop. Now you can check the Speed Shift EPP option on the main screen and you can adjust the EPP value. Set EPP to 0 if you want maximum CPU speed all of the time. A setting of 84 allows the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded but will still reach maximum speed when needed. On the main screen simply click on the number to the right of Speed Shift EPP and you can edit this value to whatever works best for you. A setting of 128 might help a little with your overheating laptop.

In the FIVR window I would set IccMax to the maximum, 255.75, for both the CPU Core and the CPU Cache. This limit is not necessary so best to just max it out.

Back in the TPL window I would check the MMIO Lock box near the top right. There is no need to have two separate MSR and MMIO power limits both trying to control your CPU. Checking the MMIO Lock box disables the MMIO power limit which is not needed.

Play Valorant with these new settings and run another log file. If you have already tried liquid metal etc., then there is not much else you can do. Hopefully a proper undervolt makes the difference you are looking for.

Last edited:

Percules

Your Razer laptop has barely adequate cooling. You are not the first Razer owner that I have tried to help with this problem. There is only so much you can do with ThrottleStop if the heatsink and fan are inadequate.

Start by downloading ThrottleStop 9.4.6
Copy the new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder.

Your FIVR settings show that the CPU core is not undervolted. It shows an undervolt on the cache but not on the core. That is strange. Check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for both the core and the cache and start by setting both of these to a negative offset voltage of -125.0 mV. Press the Apply button and you should be able to see these two values in the offset voltage column in the FIVR monitoring table at the top right.

Try that first and see if it improves things. If you are stable, leave the cache undervolt at -125 mV and try bumping only the core up to -150 mV, -175 mV and -200 mV. Play a game and make sure you are stable at each step before trying for more. Using different voltage requests has helped some 8750H users. If you find you are not stable, try reducing the cache first to -120 mV before reducing the core.

If you plan to run ThrottleStop all of the time I would check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Speed Shift is the modern way to control CPU speed. Intel specifically designed this control method for laptops and introduced it to the 6th Gen CPUs. No idea why some manufacturers using 8th Gen CPUs did not enable this in the BIOS like they were supposed to. At least you can use ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift.

After Speed Shift is enabled, you should see SST in green on the main screen of ThrottleStop. Now you can check the Speed Shift EPP option on the main screen and you can adjust the EPP value. Set EPP to 0 if you want maximum CPU speed all of the time. A setting of 84 allows the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded but will still reach maximum speed when needed. On the main screen simply click on the number to the right of Speed Shift EPP and you can edit this value to whatever works best for you. A setting of 128 might help a little with your overheating laptop.

In the FIVR window I would set IccMax to the maximum, 255.75, for both the CPU Core and the CPU Cache. This limit is not necessary so best to just max it out.

Back in the TPL window I would check the MMIO Lock box near the top right. There is no need to have two separate MSR and MMIO power limits both trying to control your CPU. Checking the MMIO Lock box disables the MMIO power limit which is not needed.

Play Valorant with these new settings and run another log file. If you have already tried liquid metal etc., then there is not much else you can do. Hopefully a proper undervolt makes the difference you are looking for.
Hi uncleWebb, hope these past few years have been good to you haha. I know this is an old thread, but I've recently wanted to use this laptop for gaming again and was wondering if you could still help me out. I've tweaked a few things on my laptop, however, I seem to always have flags going off in my LIMITS menu, unless I set my "6 cores" and "5 cores" Turbo Ratio Limits down from 39 to 29. Do you have any idea why this occurs?

I've tweaked the rest of the profile to what seems to be ideal. I'll attach two logs of my performance with 5 & 6 cores set to 29, and have the other set at default (5/6 set at 39). Hopefully, the logs will explain something that I cannot seem to comprehend. Attached below is a log of a 5 min gaming session between both, with the settings I currently have.

1719630210672.png
1719630220851.png

Attachments

• Cores set to 29.txt
    23.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Cores set to 39.txt
    73.9 KB · Views: 9

unclewebb

Your screenshot shows power limit throttling at only 25W. Post a screenshot of the TPL window. What are your power limits set to? The MMIO Lock box should be checked.

The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating. Hopefully the manufacturer is not doing any funny business by low balling the power limit.

Last edited:

Percules

Your screenshot shows power limit throttling at only 25W. Post a screenshot of the TPL window. Why are your power limits set to? The MMIO Lock box should be checked.
1719631546827.png

Are you talking about the MMIO checkbox under lock? I'll check that now and see if there's any difference in performance

unclewebb

the checkbox under lock?
Yes. The top right box in the TPL window is the MMIO Lock box. That needs to be checked.

You can also try clearing the Disable Controls box.

Some Razer laptops will enforce a much lower CPU turbo power limit (25W) so there is more power available for the Nvidia GPU. There is no fix for this issue.

Last edited:

Percules

Yes. The top right box in the TPL window is the MMIO Lock box. That needs to be checked.

You can also try clearing the Disable Controls box.

Some Razer laptops will enforce a much lower CPU turbo power limit (25W) so there is more power available for the Nvidia GPU. There is no fix for this issue.
Done, here's an updated log with locked MMIO:

Also, doesn't razer's strategy seem counter intuitive? forgive my lack of knowledge but won't enforcing a lower CPU limit just bottleneck the GPU with the CPU?

Attachments

• 2024-06-28.txt
    30.4 KB · Views: 7

unclewebb

doesn't razer's strategy seem counter intuitive?
Razer's decision to build a laptop, include a CPU with a 45W TDP, and then deliberately throttle it to only 25W is not good for consumers. I am sure your Razer laptop looks good. Unfortunately the Intel CPU is being prevented from running at its advertised TDP power rating.

Are you using the original Razer power adapter? Some laptops will impose a lower power limit for the CPU if the power adapter cannot fully power both the CPU and the Nvidia GPU.

Are you using any Razer power control software? If you are, is it set to maximum performance? Some manufacturer's software that provides a cool and quiet mode accomplishes this by power limit throttling the CPU. I would have brought it back to the store day 1 but it is a little too late for that now.

Percules

Razer's decision to build a laptop, include a CPU with a 45W TDP, and then deliberately throttle it to only 25W is not good for consumers. I am sure your Razer laptop looks good. Unfortunately the Intel CPU is being prevented from running at its advertised TDP power rating.

Are you using the original Razer power adapter? Some laptops will impose a lower power limit for the CPU if the power adapter cannot fully power both the CPU and the Nvidia GPU.

Are you using any Razer power control software? If you are, is it set to maximum performance? Some manufacturer's software that provides a cool and quiet mode accomplishes this by power limit throttling the CPU. I would have brought it back to the store day 1 but it is a little too late for that now.
I don't think mine is being limited, as sometimes I see my wattage exceeding 25W (see below) and sometimes go up to 45. I am also using Razer's original adapter.

Everything in Synapse is set to maximum performance. I am concerned about the Power Limits here, as well as EDP OTHER, which occasionally flash red. Based on the log above, are there any tune ups I should do?

1719709318491.png

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I have the same laptop and also had thermal concerns. I worked my way up to liquid metal, and that was finally the solution.... so I thought. But then the liquid metal started crystallizing, performing bad, I couldn't get it to perform as good again, and I got sick of needing to take the liquid metal off, scrape the surface smooth again, and replace the liquid metal periodically.

I thought it was hopeless, but then I found out about PTM7950 thermal pads. I took it apart again, carefully scraped the surface smooth again, and installed the PTM7950. It's a pain to work with, but if you do it after getting the PTM7950 cold, it's a little easier to peel the film off and apply it. That was it. That was the solution. My thermal performance is as good as it has ever been, and it is staying that way long-term. No longer am I thermal throttling a month later.

Percules

I have the same laptop and also had thermal concerns. I worked my way up to liquid metal, and that was finally the solution.... so I thought. But then the liquid metal started crystallizing, performing bad, I couldn't get it to perform as good again, and I got sick of needing to take the liquid metal off, scrape the surface smooth again, and replace the liquid metal periodically.

I thought it was hopeless, but then I found out about PTM7950 thermal pads. I took it apart again, carefully scraped the surface smooth again, and installed the PTM7950. It's a pain to work with, but if you do it after getting the PTM7950 cold, it's a little easier to peel the film off and apply it. That was it. That was the solution. My thermal performance is as good as it has ever been, and it is staying that way long-term. No longer am I thermal throttling a month later.
I actually went through the exact same struggle myself lol; I used liquid metal (grizzly) and thought it would work wonders, and it did; but for a very brief time, and I ended up having to sand off the alloy that formed on my heatsink.

I'll look into the PTM7950 thermal pads. Out of curiosity, where did you apply it?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I'll look into the PTM7950 thermal pads. Out of curiosity, where did you apply it?
On my CPU. That's it. The rest has regular pads and regular paste, cause they never gave me grief.

unclewebb

I don't think mine is being limited
You may like to think that but based on the log file you posted, you are wrong.

1719755305070.png

Some Razer computers use an embedded controller (EC). When the EC detects that the Nvidia GPU is active, it will automatically lower the power available for the CPU. The amount of power the EC gives to the CPU may vary depending on what game you are playing, whether the sun is shining or some other mysterious reason. I did not write the algorithm that Razer is using. All I know is that your computer is power limit throttling and there is nothing ThrottleStop can do to solve this problem. ThrottleStop can be used to control the MSR and MMIO power limits. ThrottleStop cannot be used to control the EC power limits.

This is a common problem with Razer laptops which is why I would never recommend buying one. If I pay for a CPU with a 45W TDP rating, I want to be able to use the full 45W, not a measly 25W.

Percules

On my CPU. That's it. The rest has regular pads and regular paste, cause they never gave me grief.
Where did you get them from? What website? And how long did it take to deliver? It seems there's a lot of fakes online so I want to make sure I do this all right.

Also, did you undervolt your laptop at all?

Thanks so much for this response btw this might acc end up saving me lol

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I purchased it from Amazon.
The ratings were high and someone else linked to it in a forum. I got it in 2 days.
If it is a fake, it's a good-performing fake.

No, I have not undervolted my laptop or done any tweaking to it. I just use it.

Percules

You may like to think that but based on the log file you posted, you are wrong.

View attachment 353469

Some Razer computers use an embedded controller (EC). When the EC detects that the Nvidia GPU is active, it will automatically lower the power available for the CPU. The amount of power the EC gives to the CPU may vary depending on what game you are playing, whether the sun is shining or some other mysterious reason. I did not write the algorithm that Razer is using. All I know is that your computer is power limit throttling and there is nothing ThrottleStop can do to solve this problem. ThrottleStop can be used to control the MSR and MMIO power limits. ThrottleStop cannot be used to control the EC power limits.

This is a common problem with Razer laptops which is why I would never recommend buying one. If I pay for a CPU with a 45W TDP rating, I want to be able to use the full 45W, not a measly 25W.
Thank you for your response. I just wanted to ask if that was the case, how come the option at the very top exceeds 25W (28.6)? I've seen a few times on ThrottleStop where the power goes to 39-45W, but again, I'm not fully knowledgable on the topic so if you could please explain that would be much appreciated, thank you again,

Edit: I've also heard that setting or changing the PP0 Current Limit to different values such as 100 might help, as the default value of 0 can cause throttling problems. Is this the case?

I've posted more screenshots of everything in my ThrottleStop configuration:
1719757279636.png
1719757326148.png

Last edited:

unclewebb

how come the option at the very top exceeds 25W (28.6)?
When there is a change in power consumption, it might take the CPU a second or two to react. Long term, your log file is showing constant PL1 power limit throttling right at 25W.

I did not write the EC power limit throttling scheme. There might be times when the EC lets the CPU use 45W or 35W or only 25W. This can vary depending on temperature or Nvidia GPU power consumption or some other reason that triggers this type of throttling. Manufacturers never publicly document the exact algorithm that they are using. Razer would lose too many sales if they were ever upfront and honest and admitted that the CPU will be limited to only 25W when trying to play a game.

Imagine if a car company pulled a stunt like this. There would be a full investigation Sunday night on 60 Minutes and by Monday morning the company would be announcing a recall or at the very least a BIOS update to fix the problem. Unfortunately computer manufacturers are not held to the same standard. Even when they get caught red handed they will still deny that there is anything wrong. When the girls that work the phone lines for Dell run out of excuses they like to use the line, "it is working as designed". I have seen Dell laptops drop the power limit to as low as 5W which causes the CPU to throttle down to 798 MHz. Shameful when companies do not take ownership of these throttling problems.

Edit - When undervolting it is best to undervolt both the core and the cache. When you undervolt only the core, it might not do anything at all.

Last edited: