• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I connect PoE switches to both the main router and mesh node?

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Hey guys, it's been a while. No matter where life takes me, I always end up back here when I need help with tech stuff. I know little to nothing about networking, but I do know how to Google and that has served me well up to this point in life. I'm trying to figure out if I can setup my home network to run a few outdoor PoE security cameras. My current wireless security camera system (TP-Link Tapo) is not ideal and constantly disconnects. The wireless signal from my AiMesh home WiFi just isn't strong enough to penetrate the exterior brick walls. I've scoped the house and planned out what I think is a feasible option, but I need to know if what I want to do even works.

CCTVs <--- PoE switch <--- main router <---> mesh node ---> PoE switch ---> CCTVs

The mesh system in question is two Asus GT-AX11000 routers.

The question I have is the bolded portion of the diagram above. Would I be able to connect an unmanaged PoE switch to each the router and the node, connect cameras to both of the switches, and have it be pretty much plug & play?

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Yes you could / should be able to do that.
Thank you! Would it matter if the router and mesh node are running on wired backhaul vs wireless backhaul if the connection between the two are solid? That would save me the trouble of having to run a 70ft CAT6 cable across the roof to connect the two units.

Thank you! Would it matter if the router and mesh node are running on wired backhaul vs wireless backhaul if the connection between the two are solid? That would save me the trouble of having to run a 70ft CAT6 cable across the roof to connect the two units.
Well that depends on signal strength and available bandwidth across that link. H.264 streams from most IP cameras top out at maybe 8Mb/s but usually average and have peaks much below that (in theory H.265 should be better) so it's likely any reasonable connection between the main router and mesh repeater will likely have no issues carrying that load (even 11g is capable of handling that without breaking a sweat) - although be aware of the limitations of 'mesh' Wifi - you will have bandwidth limitations on the data rate between the main and mesh router so any other devices that may absorb a lot of that available bandwidth could be an issue.