• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i put a Micro ATX board in a ATX case if so how?

Can i put a Micro ATX board in a ATX case?As i was looking on ebay for a full sized mother board at less than £30 i see so few of them.I am trying to work out where the stand offs would go for a Micro board.
And can i try a PSU on a motherboard with just connecting the PSU to it?

Attachments

• DSC01010.JPG
    DSC01010.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 1,402
Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
To answer the question in your thread title, sure! Assuming neither the case nor the motherboard are proprietary, you can always put a MicroATX motherboard in a mid or full tower or desktop ATX case. You just cannot, of course, go the other way around.

And the ATX PSU will fit the case and support the board too - assuming the board is not too new and the PSU too old to have the latest connectors (not likely).

So, how do you know if proprietary, I hear you ask? If the case, or the board came from a major factory computer maker, such as Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc. there is a chance one or the other is proprietary. :(

What you need to do is inspect the case. ATX compliant cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. And while the ATX Form Factor standard dictates where motherboard mounting holes “can” be on motherboards, it does not dictate where they “will” be. So, one board may have a mounting hole in a specific place while another may not.

A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to odd "intermittent” problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :().

So, it is good you are already concerned about standoff placement. You need to inspect the case and note where the mounting points are, Then inspect the board and make certain there is inserted a standoff in the case only where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. If mounting points and mounting holes do match, ensure a standoff is inserted there. This ensures the best grounding but also properly distributes pressure forces - important when connecting connectors, and mounting and using heavy CPU coolers.

Note the primary difference between a MicroATX board and standard (full) ATX board is the length. In a standard tower configuration, starting at the top, both boards will be the same - in terms of possible mounting hole/standoff locations. So with that in mind, working out where the standoffs go should be pretty obvious upon close inspection.

Also, with the motherboard sitting on the standoffs, make sure the motherboard's expansion card slots and rear panel I/O area line up properly (in the height of the board off the backplate of the case) with the rear of the case. If you ensure you only use the standoffs that came with the case, the height should be correct.

If the 4 mounting holes for the PSU align with the 4 mounting points in the case (and they should if both the case and PSU are ATX compliant), you should be good to go there (assuming the PSU has enough power to support your components). Again, if the PSU came out of a factory built computer, it might be proprietary. :( This can be verified by connecting the PSU simple PSU Tester. Of you can verify the pin-out if handy with a multimeter.

HOWEVER - in the body of your post, your comment does not line up with the title question. You said (my bold underline added),
i was looking on ebay for a full sized mother board
So are you looking for a microATX motherboard or a standard size (full) ATX motherboard? Again, a standard board will NOT fit in a microATX case. But a microATX board will fit in a standard mid or full tower ATX case (if ATX compliant and not proprietary).

Clear as mud, huh?

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
ATX being the keyword so yes.
PSU's come with a jumper so you can plug it into the 24 pin port and it will turn on so no mother board needed.

Oops how ?
Screw driver usually works just fine :cool:

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50, GPU with custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage 256+240+128+480+2x1TB SSDs + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS35
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
You can, just make sure that the standoffs are aligned correctly.

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
ATX and mATX mounting holes.

DSC01010.JPG

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Can i put a Micro ATX board in a ATX case?As i was looking on ebay for a full sized mother board at less than £30 i see so few of them.I am trying to work out where the stand offs would go for a Micro board.
And can i try a PSU on a motherboard with just connecting the PSU to it?

You may have to be a bit more specific than "a" mATX board. Some are full sized mATX and use all 8 mounting holes (e.g. ROG Genes), and some budget boards are only slightly bigger than an ITX board and basically only use the 4 ITX holes or ITX holes + 2 (e.g. B550M S2H, some H61s were literally mDTX but called mATX)

Technically, you *can* always get away with just the 4 ITX holes regardless of mATX size, but if you have butterfingers or serious gorilla hands you run the risk of damaging your board when plugging in say, your 24-pin.

@68Olds that's mostly correct, but the lower 2 holes on mATX are not supposed to be aligned. mATX should use the lower of the two clustered standoff options on the bottom right.

I stand corrected, there are still *some* boards using the higher standoff on the bottom right, some ASRocks it seems. But most full width mATX have moved to the lower hole it seems.

On second thought, I was right. Boards like B550M-HDV are actually using an incorrect nonstandard bottom left standoff (wtf ASRock?)

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
You may have to be a bit more specific than "a" mATX board. Some are full sized mATX and use all 8 mounting holes (e.g. ROG Genes), and some budget boards are only slightly bigger than an ITX board and basically only use the 4 ITX holes or ITX holes + 2 (e.g. B550M S2H)

Technically, you *can* get away with just the 4 ITX holes regardless of mATX size, but if you have butterfingers or serious gorilla hands you run the risk of damaging your board when plugging in say, your 24-pin.

@68Olds that's mostly correct, but the lower 2 holes on mATX are not supposed to be aligned. mATX should use the lower of the two standoff options on the bottom right.
Good points there! But yeah, like I said above, just make sure that the standoffs match, it should be fine.

View attachment 276613
I have changed my mind I am going for
To answer the question in your thread title, sure! Assuming neither the case nor the motherboard are proprietary, you can always put a MicroATX motherboard in a mid or full tower or desktop ATX case. You just cannot, of course, go the other way around.

And the ATX PSU will fit the case and support the board too - assuming the board is not too new and the PSU too old to have the latest connectors (not likely).

So, how do you know if proprietary, I hear you ask? If the case, or the board came from a major factory computer maker, such as Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc. there is a chance one or the other is proprietary. :(

What you need to do is inspect the case. ATX compliant cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So, it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. And while the ATX Form Factor standard dictates where motherboard mounting holes “can” be on motherboards, it does not dictate where they “will” be. So, one board may have a mounting hole in a specific place while another may not.

A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to odd "intermittent” problems, to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :().

So, it is good you are already concerned about standoff placement. You need to inspect the case and note where the mounting points are, Then inspect the board and make certain there is inserted a standoff in the case only where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. If mounting points and mounting holes do match, ensure a standoff is inserted there. This ensures the best grounding but also properly distributes pressure forces - important when connecting connectors, and mounting and using heavy CPU coolers.

Note the primary difference between a MicroATX board and standard (full) ATX board is the length. In a standard tower configuration, starting at the top, both boards will be the same - in terms of possible mounting hole/standoff locations. So with that in mind, working out where the standoffs go should be pretty obvious upon close inspection.

Also, with the motherboard sitting on the standoffs, make sure the motherboard's expansion card slots and rear panel I/O area line up properly (in the height of the board off the backplate of the case) with the rear of the case. If you ensure you only use the standoffs that came with the case, the height should be correct.

If the 4 mounting holes for the PSU align with the 4 mounting points in the case (and they should if both the case and PSU are ATX compliant), you should be good to go there (assuming the PSU has enough power to support your components). Again, if the PSU came out of a factory built computer, it might be proprietary. :( This can be verified by connecting the PSU simple PSU Tester. Of you can verify the pin-out if handy with a multimeter.

HOWEVER - in the body of your post, your comment does not line up with the title question. You said (my bold underline added),

So are you looking for a microATX motherboard or a standard size (full) ATX motherboard? Again, a standard board will NOT fit in a microATX case. But a microATX board will fit in a standard mid or full tower ATX case (if ATX compliant and not proprietary).

Clear as mud, huh?
This is one of the ones I am thinking about Intel of course when I typed that in it came up loads of OEM Dell.s, Hp, etc no I know about all that propriety stuff they have in them.:(
Intel DH61WW LGA 1155 Motherboard Micro ATX DDR3 for 2nd Gen CPUs
this one is £20 no Ram or CPU. I have the ram and will get an i5 2500k for £8 fromCEX it is in stock at three of their branches near me.:) I get your point about mounting holes.
Intel DH61WW LGA 1155 Motherboard Bundle (G620 processor, heatsink .and 2GB ram)there is no backplate with it sad to say I was going to go for it till saw that.:(
All very informative points thanks Bill.:)
1672338932340.png

LGA 1155/Socket H2

You may have to be a bit more specific than "a" mATX board. Some are full sized mATX and use all 8 mounting holes (e.g. ROG Genes), and some budget boards are only slightly bigger than an ITX board and basically only use the 4 ITX holes or ITX holes + 2 (e.g. B550M S2H, some H61s were literally mDTX but called mATX)

Technically, you *can* always get away with just the 4 ITX holes regardless of mATX size, but if you have butterfingers or serious gorilla hands you run the risk of damaging your board when plugging in say, your 24-pin.

@68Olds that's mostly correct, but the lower 2 holes on mATX are not supposed to be aligned. mATX should use the lower of the two clustered standoff options on the bottom right.

View attachment 276613
Thats what i wanted thanks :)

I stand corrected, there are still *some* boards using the higher standoff on the bottom right, some ASRocks it seems. But most full width mATX have moved to the lower hole it seems.

On second thought, I was right. Boards like B550M-HDV are actually using an incorrect nonstandard bottom left standoff (wtf ASRock?)
Before I looked on eBay I did not know much about the different sizes of Motherboards I might as well put in as many as the board needs. Thanks for your informative information.

Good points there! But yeah, like I said above, just make sure that the standoffs match, it should be fine.
Yes I will thank,s to 68Olds :)The thing is do I go for the one without the plate that has Ram and a CPU? Or the one without the CPU or Ram but with a backplate? o_O

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Just note that Intel is typically the OEM suppliers of motherboards for other brands and not just computer makers like Dell and HP, but motherboard makers who rebrand them too.

I personally would be hesitant to buy such an old board - not just due to its age, but for finding compatible components to go with it - like DDR3 RAM. Make sure the DDR3 you have is compatible with that board.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just note that Intel is typically the OEM suppliers of motherboards for other brands and not just computer makers like Dell and HP, but motherboard makers who rebrand them too.

I personally would be hesitant to buy such an old board - not just due to its age, but for finding compatible components to go with it - like DDR3 RAM. Make sure the DDR3 you have is compatible with that board.
Usually any generic memory type is compatible, tho with some luck even ECC can work (in non-ECC mode on intel platform)

But that board above looks standard by its mounting and connectors.
Yes I will thank,s to 68Olds :)The thing is do I go for the one without the plate that has Ram and a CPU? Or the one without the CPU or Ram but with a backplate? o_O
Sorry but I don't got what you mean by this..?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Read your motherboard manual.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Most decent cases have center peg that helps align the board in the correct position there is no screw hole again it's just a centering peg
Here's my old acer micro atx board being installed in a corsair D450 mid tower atx case will also accept extended atx boards to

1672345380851.png

Also had it installed on a atx test bench on water.

Attachments

• Acer Green3 nh-d14 installed.JPG
    Acer Green3 nh-d14 installed.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • Acer EC-6-water block.jpg
    Acer EC-6-water block.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hi,
Most decent cases have center peg that helps align the board in the correct position there is no screw hole again it's just a centering peg
Here's my old acer micro atx board being installed in a corsair D450 mid tower atx case will also accept extended atx boards to

View attachment 276678

Yeah, that peg helps a lot aligning a board, was it a mATX or ATX one.

Keyboard G710+x3
Yeah, that peg helps a lot aligning a board, was it a mATX or ATX one.
Hi,
Micro atx/ mATX mother board.
This was my first build really transplant from a acer 3810 aspire small form factor into a real case= good times :cool:

acer-aspire-ax3810.jpg

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
Yeah, you are correct. I should have circled the lower right location at the tip of the yellow arrow instead of the one I circled.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hi,
This was my first build really transplant from a acer 3810 aspire small form factor into a real case= good times :cool:

View attachment 276682
I'm currently using an old Acer mATX tower from about 2005 as my HTPC, houses a generic H61 board, i5-2320, 8GB RAM & RX 460. Brings some nostalgia to have an upgraded office PC like that in use.

Is that board a non Oem board the INTEL one i put on here?

System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
Page 9 for dimensions, Page 12 for layout, Page 30 for "guide" to install which just shows you where the holes are.

Its one of those smaller mATX boards. You don't need the right most row of screws/standoffs from 68Olds image.

1672354315578.png
1672354005750.png
Intel DQ67SW LGA 1155 Socket Motherboard USB 3.0 COOLER I/O SHIELD 2nd Gen IntelAnd that is a real Intel board not an OEM i know that they make boards for Dell and the like.I just want to make sure where the Front header connections are.There is this one to i take it this is a later version as it USB3.this is £26 six pounds more than i see that this one has the connections on there. :)

I have just seen this one Intel Core i3-2100 @3.10GHz 4GB DDR3 Ram Intel DH61WW Bundle Tested Combo EJ507 £30 make an offer.
1672355388127.png

Hi,

View attachment 276678

This guy is good
he explains it well. :)So you just have to hook the power switich to test that it works. :)

Hi,

View attachment 276682
Cool. :)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Usually any generic memory type is compatible
??? Ummm, sorry but no. For starters, if the board supports DDR3, it only supports DDR3. You cannot use DDR2 or DDR4. They physically different and therefore NOT compatible - they will not fit in a DDR3 slot without excessive force, which surely will damage the RAM, or the slot, or both. They also use different voltages.

Common sense? NO!!!! Common knowledge? NO!!!! And that's the problem here.

"Can I put DDRX in a DDRY slot?" is asked over and over again in the forums, and has been since DDR2 came out superseding DDR. Bing Google it if you don't believe me.

Even if we assume everyone is talking about the same type RAM (DDR3, in this case), and even with the qualifier "usually", I sure would not make that assumption. It is "safe" to assume "any generic DDR3 memory" will physically fit in the RAM slot connector without causing any damage. But we cannot assume any and every old DDR3 will "work" - that is, be supported and function properly by the motherboard/chipset, or the CPU!

Is that board a non Oem board the INTEL one i put on here?
Sorry, but the question really does not make sense.

There are several big name motherboard manufacturers who are OEM suppliers for other brands. For example, FoxConn, ASUS, and Intel all make motherboards for other brands. It is just like how SuperFlower makes power supplies for EVGA and other brands.

Some manufacturers produce products for other brands and also to sell under their own brand. FoxConn and ASUS, for example, sell motherboards under their own brand name. ASUS even sells entire computers. SuperFlower sells power supplies under their own brand too.

I am not aware of Intel ever selling entire computers under the Intel brand. That means that Intel board is an OEM board. The issue is, did the computer maker who used that Intel board modify it, or special order it with unique features, making it proprietary? :( Or did they leave it fully ATX Form Factor standard compliant? And to that, sorry but I don't know! :(

I put a offer for this
??? Ummm, sorry but no. For starters, if the board supports DDR3, it only supports DDR3. You cannot use DDR2 or DDR4. They physically different and therefore NOT compatible - they will not fit in a DDR3 slot without excessive force, which surely will damage the RAM, or the slot, or both. They also use different voltages.

Common sense? NO!!!! Common knowledge? NO!!!! And that's the problem here.

"Can I put DDRX in a DDRY slot?" is asked over and over again in the forums, and has been since DDR2 came out superseding DDR. Bing Google it if you don't believe me.

Even if we assume everyone is talking about the same type RAM (DDR3, in this case), and even with the qualifier "usually", I sure would not make that assumption. It is "safe" to assume "any generic DDR3 memory" will physically fit in the RAM slot connector without causing any damage. But we cannot assume any and every old DDR3 will "work" - that is, be supported and function properly by the motherboard/chipset, or the CPU!

Sorry, but the question really does not make sense.

There are several big name motherboard manufacturers who are OEM suppliers for other brands. For example, FoxConn, ASUS, and Intel all make motherboards for other brands. It is just like how SuperFlower makes power supplies for EVGA and other brands.

Some manufacturers produce products for other brands and also to sell under their own brand. FoxConn and ASUS, for example, sell motherboards under their own brand name. ASUS even sells entire computers. SuperFlower sells power supplies under their own brand too.

I am not aware of Intel ever selling entire computers under the Intel brand. That means that Intel board is an OEM board. The issue is, did the computer maker who used that Intel board modify it, or special order it with unique features, making it proprietary? :( Or did they leave it fully ATX Form Factor standard compliant? And to that, sorry but I don't know! :(
I get your point there about companys modin the board to make it propriety.

Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Yeah stay away from dell crap :laugh:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I get your point there about companys modin the board to make it propriety.
Yeah, well their marketing weenies will claim they made it proprietary to bring enhanced features to the consumer. Bull feathers!

While that may be partially true, the main reason is definitely to increase profit. And it works because Dell, for example, can go to the OEM maker, request an exclusive modification that makes the board proprietary, then promise to buy 1 million units over the next year. For sure, the OEM supplier will gladly do that.

Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Dell would insist on using one of their drill bits :roll: