• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can RX 560 mobile (Baffin XT) with 896 shaders be unlocked to 1024? (Update - it can)

Susurs

Hi!

I was wondering whether RX mobile 560 (Baffin XT) with 896 shaders (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-560-mobile.c3071) could be unlocked somehow to its full variant, respectively, can I try to unlock 1024 shaders somehow?

RX 560 (Baffin XT) mobile with 1024 shaders: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-560-mobile.c3069

For example, could I try to edit hex value (70 to 6F) as in #35 of this topic: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/unlock-the-shaders-amd-radeon-rx-560d.240735/

Or if we have access to the same MXM card (.rom) from the same manufacturer, but one is with 1024 and the second one is with 892 shaders - could I try to replace bios from the fully unlocked card?

Are they software locked / laser cut / or it can be either way?
———————————————————-
Update 30/12/2020:

I actually did it! It was easier than I thought.
The results in short: From the technical perspective - positive and no issues at all. From the point of performance expectations - mixed.

I was initially a bit confused as to whether it would work at all as the GPU is eGPU and ‘sitting ‘in Sonnet Puck enclosure. And W10 is on Mac Mini / Bootcamp which makes eGPU a bit more difficult as such. However, no issues.

I used the procedure with modifying hex value 70 to 6F and after saving the file with PGE was even able to flash it with ATIFlash GUI without need to force anthing in terminal.

Within a few seconds the card was flashed and when I restarted it was ‘live’. On first restart I thought there was some W10 / drivers issue as the card showed yellow triangle next to it in the device manager with ‘Code 43’. I thought It was eGPU issue again as some tinkering is needed to avoid things like this in Bootcamp / external graphics setup. However, it was just the Atikmdag patch still needed. Run it and all was good. GPU-Z reported 1024 shaders (See screenshots before and after). Noticed that some info is missing in GPU-Z, but I took that screenshot when the yellow exclamation mark was still in W10 / device manager.

Restarted in macOS - all is good as well.

There are no errors, no artifacts etc. Temperatures are the same around 45-47c in desktop (MSI Afterburner).

However, I am a bit confused regarding the performance gains and causes. I expected that the performance gain would be around 15-20%, but in reality it is 2-5%.

I run Unigene W10 - the gain was 50 points on average (‘Medium’). Up from 2370 to around 2420. At start I thouhgt there is no gain at all and those 50 points are just software / regular fluctuations.

AIDA GPU bench even reported lower results.

Then I went to macOS and tested BasemarkGPU. There the score went up from 17000/17200 to around 17800/17900 points and it was a constant gain.

There was no real gain for Unigene Heaven and Novabench on macOS. Maybe 1% for the latter.

My first thought was that the units are laser cut and reporting 1024 is just a fiction. I reflashed back to the default bios and retested.

It seems that the marginal gain is not software fluctuation after all. Basemark GPU in macOS instantly went back to 16900/17000, and Unigene in W10 lost those small 50 points.

I really thougt that additional 128 shaders would make more difference. Could someone comment those small performane gains a bit?

P.S. Uploaded the original .rom to the database via GPU-Z, however I cannot find it now (even in ‘unwerified’ section). Will try again a bit later.
3C9819A0-6F8F-4D0A-9282-EBD2D8BDC7CC.jpeg
E8EB3826-375C-48BF-9658-D879278C9C69.jpeg
46DCC265-A828-497C-861D-6CAA692937FB.jpeg

Last edited: