• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Careful with Outbyte! Untrustworthy company just like Malwarebytes warns about. I wish I had known sooner!

Alice Twolices

Hi,

so, I did a clean install because I regularly do that to keep things fresh and clean.
And I've decided to try their PC Repair and their Drivers Updater.

So I've run the scan in PC Repair and it found some things which I supposedly needed to "fix".
A few of them seemed reasonable so I approved.
Contrarily to other similar software there was no offer to create a System Restore point, nor any kind of backup file.
It just corrected those things and period.

I also found some drivers which apparently needed to be updated.

Soon after, the system started becoming sluggish, the Bluetooth (which had always worked perfectly with the same exact drivers and everything) didn't connect any new devices, and some things got stuck, like frozen.

I rolled back the drivers and restarted but it was the same.
So I went to PC Repair to undo those changes, and I was surprised to find no way of doing that.
There wasn't even a record of what I had changed! The program doesn't show it in the UI and doesn't create a log about it anywhere.

So I used the contact form and I got an automatic reply "We received your call back request. Unfortunately, phone support is only available in English.
Please use the chat for support in other languages".

Now, first of all I didn't request any call back and the program didn't mention anything about it either, it was just a contact form where I had to give my email address and say what was my problem.
So this was already weird.
Also, the program was in English, I wrote in English, my Windows is in English.
Anyway I clicked on the link for the chat.

First thing, I am requested to give the email registered with my purchase.
Again weird, I'm using the free version and there was no mention of support for paying customers. Anyway I give the same email of before.
Somebody answered immediately.
I told him what happened and asked him to tell me where's the undo function or the log of the changes made.
He answered that I had to buy the software to get assistance to have "this issue" solved.

As a seller myself I immediately understood what was going on, and why they even organized this fake offer of email support to direct people to a live call or at least a live chat to increase the chances to pick a fool who would actually buy their coarsesheet...

I said that I don't want to pay to get assistance for an issue created by their software. I just want to know where tf is this undo function if there is one, or the log with the changes so I can investigate how to revert them by myself if they must be so absurd about it.
He refused to give any assistance unless I paid.
It was completely irrelevant for them that the problem started with their software, and that it is their fault for not even organizing a restore point or something.
It was like talking to a crazy stubborn seller with questionable ethics, who just wanted to sell me something.

I ended having to do a clean install again.
Somehow I was lucky, as it happened right after the clean install and I still had all my personal things backed up.
It was "just" a COLOSSAL waste of time.
But if it had happened in any other moment, it would have been very problematic.

Now, I discovered that Malwarebytes classifies their softwares as "PUP" of the "Scareware" category and explains that these people systematically create situations to make you feel that you have some issue and need their help, to sell you something.
And fock, that's so exactly my experience!
It's really true! If only I had known sooner.

So, do NOT use their software!
Not even for free!
Very problematic products and highly questionable policies.
I so much want to just say "scam".
But whatever.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Edit:
I forgot to say, at some point I grew frustrated and I told him I'll post screenshots of our chat to show how they "do business".
I got immediately disconnected!
I logged again, the previous chat was gone, and he said I was the one who disconnected.
Unbelievable... So shameless.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Any software with driver or repair in their name is essentially useless at best.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Fanmusic TRUTHEAR IEM, HyperX Duocast]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]

Alice Twolices

Any software with driver or repair in their name is essentially useless at best.
Nah, I believe that SDIO is really well done, the new fork of SDI.
You are presented with several options, you can see name and signature and date and version and also compatibility and compare what you have with those offers and decide.
It's by far the most transparent and complete and reliable that I've found among the free ones.
Never had a problem with it.

I don't know why I decided to try this crappy one.

For repair, what about CCleaner?
Or you never repair the registry?

I find at least the uninstall function in Ccleaner interesting, as sometimes it has voices that aren't present in the Windows Apps or Programs blah blah.
And I use WinRise to turn off the automatic startup of things that don't show in the Task Manager start up tab.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (please Valve, release a new headset)
Software Windows 10
Nah, I believe that SDIO is really well done, the new fork of SDI.
You are presented with several options, you can see name and signature and date and version and also compatibility and compare what you have with those offers and decide.
It's by far the most transparent and complete and reliable that I've found among the free ones.
Never had a problem with it.

I don't know why I decided to try this crappy one.

For repair, what about CCleaner?
Or you never repair the registry?

I find at least the uninstall function in Ccleaner interesting, as sometimes it has voices that aren't present in the Windows Apps or Programs blah blah.
And I use WinRise to turn off the automatic startup of things that don't show in the Task Manager start up tab.
Since I've swicth to Windows 10 back in 2019, I've never use a "repair thing in my pc" tool. And everything is working as intended. I've just made a reinstall in 2021 or 2022 when I get problem with a new graphics card but that's it.

System Name Gamey #1 / #3
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / MSi B450 sumpin'
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / IDCool SE-224-XTS
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 16GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) PColor 6800 XT / PNY RTX 4060 Ti
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 2TB WD SN580
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / TT Versa H18
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / EVGA BQ 500
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Since I've swicth to Windows 10 back in 2019, I've never use a "repair thing in my pc" tool. And everything is working as intended. I've just made a reinstall in 2021 or 2022 when I get problem with a new graphics card but that's it.

I'll emphasize this is a relative Windows noob as I switched from primarily Mac to Windows around 2017 and I've never need to clean my registry of my PCs, ever. And I have a lot of them so ample opportunities for problems to occur. The same BS "cleaner" products exist on the Mac side too and they are equally infamous.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
This type of warning is better served up on social media, not a Tech site where users usually know better than to use these scam services.

Annayake

Outbyte Rep
Hi,

so, I did a clean install because I regularly do that to keep things fresh and clean.
And I've decided to try their PC Repair and their Drivers Updater.

So I've run the scan in PC Repair and it found some things which I supposedly needed to "fix".
A few of them seemed reasonable so I approved.
Contrarily to other similar software there was no offer to create a System Restore point, nor any kind of backup file.
It just corrected those things and period.

I also found some drivers which apparently needed to be updated.

Soon after, the system started becoming sluggish, the Bluetooth (which had always worked perfectly with the same exact drivers and everything) didn't connect any new devices, and some things got stuck, like frozen.

I rolled back the drivers and restarted but it was the same.
So I went to PC Repair to undo those changes, and I was surprised to find no way of doing that.
There wasn't even a record of what I had changed! The program doesn't show it in the UI and doesn't create a log about it anywhere.

So I used the contact form and I got an automatic reply "We received your call back request. Unfortunately, phone support is only available in English.
Please use the chat for support in other languages".

Now, first of all I didn't request any call back and the program didn't mention anything about it either, it was just a contact form where I had to give my email address and say what was my problem.
So this was already weird.
Also, the program was in English, I wrote in English, my Windows is in English.
Anyway I clicked on the link for the chat.

First thing, I am requested to give the email registered with my purchase.
Again weird, I'm using the free version and there was no mention of support for paying customers. Anyway I give the same email of before.
Somebody answered immediately.
I told him what happened and asked him to tell me where's the undo function or the log of the changes made.
He answered that I had to buy the software to get assistance to have "this issue" solved.

As a seller myself I immediately understood what was going on, and why they even organized this fake offer of email support to direct people to a live call or at least a live chat to increase the chances to pick a fool who would actually buy their coarsesheet...

I said that I don't want to pay to get assistance for an issue created by their software. I just want to know where tf is this undo function if there is one, or the log with the changes so I can investigate how to revert them by myself if they must be so absurd about it.
He refused to give any assistance unless I paid.
It was completely irrelevant for them that the problem started with their software, and that it is their fault for not even organizing a restore point or something.
It was like talking to a crazy stubborn seller with questionable ethics, who just wanted to sell me something.

I ended having to do a clean install again.
Somehow I was lucky, as it happened right after the clean install and I still had all my personal things backed up.
It was "just" a COLOSSAL waste of time.
But if it had happened in any other moment, it would have been very problematic.

Now, I discovered that Malwarebytes classifies their softwares as "PUP" of the "Scareware" category and explains that these people systematically create situations to make you feel that you have some issue and need their help, to sell you something.
And fock, that's so exactly my experience!
It's really true! If only I had known sooner.

So, do NOT use their software!
Not even for free!
Very problematic products and highly questionable policies.
I so much want to just say "scam".
But whatever.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Edit:
I forgot to say, at some point I grew frustrated and I told him I'll post screenshots of our chat to show how they "do business".
I got immediately disconnected!
I logged again, the previous chat was gone, and he said I was the one who disconnected.
Unbelievable... So shameless.
Dear Alice,

My name is Vera, I represent Outbyte.

I’m very sorry to see that you have experienced issues using our software.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Based on your description, I understand that the problem occurred upon applying certain PC Repair tweaks which you were unable to roll back after.
To clarify, PC Repair functionality includes automatic creation of backups and restore points. The lists can be found under Help => Restore => Backups, or Help => Restore => Restore points. Restore points are created by the program after each scan and repair, backups are made according to applied tweaks.
This functionality works with an exception - if junk or large files are cleared out using the program, they will not be backed up (the point of deleting the files is freeing out some space which a backup would take back up).
I would really appreciate you letting us know if you were able to find these settings.

Regarding the circumstances of your communication with our team, please note that Outbyte does provide remote technical support, the service is only available to paying customers. The service is provided via phone or live chat, while the email support is available to all our users. The fact that you were able to obtain technical team contact information was due to a bug that has now been resolved. We thank you for drawing our attention to the problem and apologize for any misunderstanding.

We have every desire to investigate how your request has been handled by both our teams seeing that you were supposed to get assistance via email. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate your request without an email address. If you could provide us with any details (date, specified name, etc.), we will make sure to have the matter checked and resolved accordingly.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage 256+240+128+480+2x1TB SSDs + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Agree, after WinXP days, I haven't seen any use for those.

I suppose software like this (or its competitors) just aren't aimed at the audience of a tech forum. I don't necessarily think they're a scam company, but at the same time, it's not a service I need. I feel awful enough installing garbage like Armoury Crate - and I only installed that to get my free copy of (non-pirated, for once) AIDA64... (see the audience shift there). For the same reason, too:

1722956690689.png

Registry cleaners are no longer necessary (and even back then, their usefulness was rather debatable, I suppose it helped when system resources were extremely limited).