• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer freezing problem! Overheating?!

th0r

My computer is as follows:

MS Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 2.0 GB Corsair XMAS2 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

My computer has been freezing for what seems like ever since I built it. I reformatted it in January/December ish, and it eventually started freezing again randomly. It will freeze when I search the internet, while I'm playing music/video, while I'm playing a game, while I'm not doing anything, etc. It's all random. There is no pattern to it.

I tried updating my drivers. But I'm pretty sure most of them are up to date.

I'm thinking this is a Mobo or PSU problem, but I have no knowledge on how to figure out if its true. This is a custom built computer, so when I was doing research on how to fix freezing problems, I came across information on PSU not sending out enough power? Or too much?

When I talked to my friend who helped me built the computer, about the PSU potential issue, he confirmed that it probably isn't the PSU because he hand picked the parts I was going to use and my power supply is sufficient for what system I have I guess (Enermax Model ELT500AWT).

So I'm completely confused to approach this thing. I used CCleaner multiple times to fix any problems with the registry, but the freezing problem is still persistent. Happening multiple times every day and requiring a restart....

I also used Windows Memory Diagnostic and another memory diagnostic tool (I forgot the name), last fall multiple times and two days ago -- both came up with no issues with my RAM either.

Any information you need to help me, I can provide. Please help me fix this problem! I would appreciate it very much!

Using the Core Center program, generally my temps stay at 37 - 45 (Celsius) for CPU and System Temperatures. I did notice recently that my CPU is getting around 50-51 h/e. I decided to install Speed Fan and here are my current temps:

GPU: 57C
Local: 43C
Remote: 52C
System: 45C
CPU: 56C
AUX: 55C

HD0: 36C
HD1: 37C
Core: 56C

Fans 1, 3, and 4 were at 100%, but Fan 2 was at 49% so I increased that to 100%. Now the folllowing are my temps, with the bolded items having flames next to them on SpeedFan:

Using SpeedFan, there is flames next the following bold items:

GPU: 56C
Remote: 44C
System: 45C
CPU: 50C
AUX: 50C
Core: 49C

What can I do to fix the freezing? And could these temperatures have anything to do with the freezing? How would i go about fixing these? I've heard that increasing fan speeds manually isn't a generally good idea, but that the CPU, GPU, and Core being 50-60 degrees Celsius or more, will lead to them deteriorating and eventually wearing out faster.

Last edited:
System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
What motherboard do you have? I know its a MSI but what model #? And what hard drive? And its age?

Those temps are a little high, but not smoking hot either.

th0r

Started listening to music awhile, and the following are my speeds now:

GPU: 58C
Remote: 47C
System: 46C
CPU: 53C
AUX: 51C
Core: 52C

My motherboard is the MSI MS-7280 1.0 (K9A Platinum). Awkwardly enough, I couldn't use the Motherboard Monitor program to look more into my Mobo, because MS-7280 and K9A Platinum are listed nowhere on there list in the setup. :(

th0r

Now, (im still listening to music). The CPU is 59C, AUX is 57C, Core is 60C, Remote is 55C, HD0 is 37 and HD1 is 38....! With my GPU still hovering at 58C or so

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Are any of your heatsinks clogged with dust? Do you have the 125W version or the 89W version of the 6000+? I ask cause the 125W version came with a nice HSF that has the heatpipes were the 89W version went to the blan HSF.

Enermax is a pretty trust worthy brand and 500W should be able to juice that system with no issues.

th0r

Are any of your heatsinks clogged with dust? Do you have the 125W version or the 89W version of the 6000+? I ask cause the 125W version came with a nice HSF that has the heatpipes were the 89W version went to the blan HSF.

Enermax is a pretty trust worthy brand and 500W should be able to juice that system with no issues.

I don't know if I have the 125W or 89W version. My computer i built September 2007 just as a side note. When it comes to the 6000+ I don't know how to tell which Watt version I have, but I know I have a Heat Sink that has copper looking pipes coming from it, when I open up my case....

Is there anyway to make sure all the parts of my computer are getting the correct amount of wattage? I don't know what else could be the problem here.....
My core has long since cooled to 50C now. I'm still doing the same stuff I was doing before (music + having multiple website tabs open, while surfing the net)

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
You have the 125W 6000+. Have you checked your heatsinks to see if there is large amounts of dust, which will cause temps to rise!? Could you maybe throw up a pick of your system cause if there is no wire management that can cause temps to rise somewhat as well.

th0r

You have the 125W 6000+. Have you checked your heatsinks to see if there is large amounts of dust, which will cause temps to rise!? Could you maybe throw up a pick of your system cause if there is no wire management that can cause temps to rise somewhat as well.

I'll take a pic tonight. Btw, I'm not saying this is necessarily overheating as the cause of the freezing, but I'm not too sure what else it could be. So it could regardless be something altogether.

"Wire management" wouldn't be a good word to use to describe my system either ha. I bet when you see a pic, there'll be advice given on what to do ha

lascoflats

My computer is similar to how hot your computer except for the cpu...mine is considerably colder than yours. With my experience with other computers is that your CPU is running to hot and a new power supply would not suffice. Your system does not require a 500W power supply even though it would be nice it does not require that. If you just have a heat sink on your CPU then that is probably what the problem is. And seeing that is a custom built computer you probably didn't realize the temperature part of building a computer, computers can get very hot and it causes shortages and leads to crashing or anything else that can happen. I would suggest you need a fan or something to cool your CPU, My fan speeds are running considerably higher than yours and my computer is a bought computer and upgraded to my specifications and like with earlier posts they try to make the machine as cool as they can get so they don't have people using their warranty's. Anyways for a inexpensive way if you are short on cash which I have done and has had good results is possibly getting a small fan and opening the case and setting it next to the computer and somehow cover it so no dust and whatever else can get in there. Or just buy a fan that can be mounted onto your CPU to keep the heat issue down to a minimum. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I have fixed many computers and just like to help out people with problems.

lascoflats

Oh and one other thing I forgot to mention. Does your GPU have a fan built on it. If not heats sinks work but mine has heat sink and a fan on it. That makes it considerably colder. That could cause crashing. The PCI-E of your card comes with a fan I know cause I have one. But if yours is the AGP a lot of AGP models just come with heats sinks and they usually don't keep cool enough. So you might need to find a way to cool that down. Either buy a graphics card with a fan, or liquid cooling. But most likely since you said you do not know how to fix the issue it would be smart to go to a professional. They will be able to help you. I have found that local companies fix computers better if they are well qualified. Big company employees try to fix the problem but want you to spend more money to fix the problem.