• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Connecting Guitar AMP to computer

System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Asrock B650M PRO RS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case SAMA IM01
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hi!

I have a Peavy Bandit 112 Guitar Amp, and I can't play loud in my appartment xD, I wanna still play while having music playing. so I was thinking plugging the amp in the computer, so I can get the right sound, clean and distortion, then plug my headphone and listen to music while playing.

Good stuff, low price, what should I do?

Will I need a good sound card, like an x-fi, Asus Xonar? Been a long time I have not touch things related to music, so I'm at the newby state :)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi!

I have a Peavy Bandit 112 Guitar Amp, and I can't play loud in my appartment xD, I wanna still play while having music playing. so I was thinking plugging the amp in the computer, so I can get the right sound, clean and distortion, then plug my headphone and listen to music while playing.

Good stuff, low price, what should I do?

Will I need a godo sound card, like an x-fi, Asus Xonar? Been a long time I have not touch things related to music, so I'm at the newby state :)

Thanks for any help!

THere are several devices, such as a "POD Studio", but my personal favorite is Guitar Rig's Rig Kontrol.

Rig Kontrol Wiring setup:

GUITAR_RIG_KONTROL_web_setup_clickenlarge-01.png

The POD Studio is the cheapest, uses USB 2.0, but offers only a little bit of functionality. The combination of Guitar Rig 5 and the Rig Kontrol cost me $499, but was totally worth it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
still rocking an old Korg AX3000G and my setup is similar to the pic by dave when Im hooking it up,

Would recommend investing in something similar as you can always plug in some heaphones and jam without the amp while the effects unit can emulate a lot of different types of amps ranging from basic combo's to stereo cab.

though not all effects units come with an AUX socket to plug an mp3 player in and stuff like my Korg AX3000G.

Strangely enough I took my AX3000G out for a bedroom jam yestday out of nostalgia. used to use it when i played live and for some studio recording for the band i was previously involved with but that was many moons ago.

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
Thanks for yoru replies.

I want to put the less money in this, it's just for having fun, maybe record some small guitar riff/lead :)

On my Amp, I must have an Output to plug in the USB audio interface?

@FreedommEclipse

Yeah I know, you can emulate, but I do like having my amp + switch (clean, distortion) + my Wah wah (Which I have to find back that damn Adaptor, i'm using battery right now :S )

I'll look tonight what I have on my amp as output, just to make sure I can, instead it will be only wah wah plugged into a USB device.

Thanks again for sharing your informations guys :)

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
when recording i usually avoided using effects where i could as i love the natural sound of the amp. but not all emulation is bad. the emulation on the POD Line 6's and some of the mid to high end BOSS multi-effects units are really something to think about.

Line 6 have been making huge waves in the emulation area for a long time with their POD series and a lot of guitarists who upload cover songs to youtube use a POD and it sounds amazing.

If i still played a lot of guitar, Id get me one too. even then im still thinking about switching over and playing bass

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Despite disliking digital emulation, in your case due to potentially bitching neighbors, I would recommend going with Guitar Rig 4 and the Kontrol interface by Native Instruments as mentioned by dave.

Although you can use Guitar Rig without the Kontrol interface but you will not be able to use all of the tools it offers.
Since you are a wah man like myself I can tell you now that if you try using your wah with Guitar Rig, you will be not be able to her the heal/toe difference very well.

I use Guitar Rig as a sketch pad for recording riff which come to me while at the PC.
The reverb is rubbish and the delays are limited despite the different types they have IMO.
the distortions aren't bad though and sound pretty decent if layered and tweaked in a DAW after recording.

As for direct line out from the amp....don't even bother, but try it just to hear how bad it sounds.
there will be all treble and no balls.
It will sound totally different from hearing it through your amp speaker.

There is no really cheap way of recording with good quality unfortunately.

With complete disregard of upsetting people....
You need to start off with a pro audio interface, M-Audio delta PCI, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, or M-Audio Fast track USB and a decent mic.
Shure SM57 or Shure SM58 are tried and true mics all rounder mics which I recommend without breaking the budget.

For recording I use an Infrasonic Quartet pro audio sound card which is great (clear sound very low noise and low latency) although the drivers can be rather flaky as in picky with certain systems and an Alesis Multimix4 USB mixer which I route in to my sound card via main outs so I have analogue.
Reason for not using the USB on the USB mixer is the sound on the USB mixer is rubbish.
I use a RODE NT1-A condenser mic for recodring

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
First of all, why cant you just plug headphones into your amp? Does it not have a headphone out?

I mainly use Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube. I also have a Phonic 302+ firewire interface. Add some decent Sennheisers or something and theres your epic sound. :rockout::rockout::rockout:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
First of all, why cant you just plug headphones into your amp? Does it not have a headphone out?

Its a fully fledged valve amp. most dont have headphone out unless the amp are solidstate or practise amps.

there are some exceptions though VOX amps sometimes use a hybred valve and digital effects system in some of amps.

really nice amps they are too! but im too much a fan a Fender Hotrod Deluxe or Deville amps.

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01

I mainly use Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube. I also have a Phonic 302+ firewire interface. Add some decent Sennheisers or something and theres your epic sound. :rockout::rockout::rockout:

Cause I want to play while I have my music playing from the computer ;) this is the main reason :D

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Last edited by a moderator:

tommyarmour

I have a few questions that I was hoping Dave might be able to answer for me. First off, My primary Computer is a Core i5 27" iMac. I use a program called Amplitube 3. This program is great. I also use the Rocksmith 2014 cable to connect my guitar to Amplitube 3 and GarageBand. Now my question is:

Is there a way to connect a real Guitar Amplifier as the speaker outputs. The way I have it now is. My speakers are Logitech speakers with Subwoofer. They sound great for music, but they are no Celestions for all the great amp sounds, and pedal sounds that come with Amplitube 3 and Garageband. The logitechs don't even cut the cake.

So I'm tryting to find the proper hardware to connect my Line 6 Spider 4 amp to the iMac for speaker output when I use my guitar with Amplitube 3 mostly. I also have a EVH 5150 III tube head I could use for speaker out on the imac. But I figured the lIne 6 Solid State would be a better option it has 2 10" Celestions. 120w

I just don't like how any of the amp sounds sound through the regular Logitech speakers. Everything sound much better through the Guitar amp. :)

Thanks,

Tommy

I'm thinking I may need something like a mIxer.

Last edited:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
@tommyarmour necro-thread much? :p

Actually I don't mind as this thread is one I've never seen but wouldn't mind reading through ;)

tommyarmour

@tommyarmour necro-thread much? :p

Actually I don't mind as this thread is one I've never seen but wouldn't mind reading through ;)

Every once in awhile I find a thread relating to my question or questions and try to revive it especially if I see some of the members have been around with lots of posts/messages.

:) Thanks

Note: So currently Im running guitar through UBISOFT cable that adapt's into USB and that is plugged directly into one of the usb port on the back of my imac. Then when I open Amplitube 3 it automatically recognizes my guitar and play out through my Logitech computer speakers. Which isn't terrible. Its just not the sound I want to hear. The amplitube 3 software has hundreds of differrent amp, and pedals, and just the tone that comes from a real guitar amp and speakers is so much different than the logitechs can provide. I get the same sound when I use my headphones. I have higher end $150.00 Audio Technica headphones, but they cannot produce that Celestion speakers sound/tone. I hope I'm clear enough to get a few answers. Thanks again.

I kind of want to connect the amp like in this picture. I cannot tell what kind of adapter is in the picture or what input on the amp its plugging into.

Last edited:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Every once in awhile I find a thread relating to my question or questions and try to revive it especially if I see some of the members have been around with lots of posts/messages.

No worries bro, it's all good. As I said, this is a topic that I missed and would like to read about. I don't have the time now but I'll read through it tomorrow.

And yes, the guys that have posted here are terrific:
@ChristTheGreat and @brandonwh64 are terrific members of the WCG team and are great
@cadaveca knows pretty much everything
@FreedomEclipse has sexy avatars, along with good posts ;)

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

Note: So currently Im running guitar through UBISOFT cable that adapt's into USB and that is plugged directly into one of the usb port on the back of my imac. Then when I open Amplitube 3 it automatically recognizes my guitar and play out through my Logitech computer speakers. Which isn't terrible. Its just not the sound I want to hear. The amplitube 3 software has hundreds of differrent amp, and pedals, and just the tone that comes from a real guitar amp and speakers is so much different than the logitechs can provide. I get the same sound when I use my headphones. I have higher end $150.00 Audio Technica headphones, but they cannot produce that Celestion speakers sound/tone. I hope I'm clear enough to get a few answers. Thanks again.

I kind of want to connect the amp like in this picture. I cannot tell what kind of adapter is in the picture or what input on the amp its plugging into.

its an IK Multimedia StealthPlug CS theres a headphones socket on there but you can plug it into an amp if you wanted to.

Alternatively, you could go with a behringer GUITAR LINK UCG102

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
No worries bro, it's all good. As I said, this is a topic that I missed and would like to read about. I don't have the time now but I'll read through it tomorrow.

And yes, the guys that have posted here are terrific:
@ChristTheGreat and @brandonwh64 are terrific members of the WCG team and are great
@cadaveca knows pretty much everything
@FreedomEclipse has sexy avatars, along with good posts ;)

Thanks for the compliment :D

@tommyarmour

The project as been left away for me as I bought a house ;) , I might one day relook at this, didn't touch my guitar for about a year and half :/

tommyarmour

its an IK Multimedia StealthPlug CS theres a headphones socket on there but you can plug it into an amp if you wanted to.

Alternatively, you could go with a behringer GUITAR LINK UCG102

Thank you very much for the links and ideas. Would you recommend one or the other? Have you tried both, or one of them?

I did pick up one of these cheapo du da's. I bought it Amazon for less than $10.00 Straight from China really cheap. The headphone out is 3.55mm and what input on the amp should I plug it into? I will gladly spend another $100.00 on another better plug.

tommyarmour

Thanks for the compliment :D

@tommyarmour

The project as been left away for me as I bought a house ;) , I might one day relook at this, didn't touch my guitar for about a year and half :/
Well pick that guitar back up. There is some amazing software, like Amplitube 3. Download a trial of something and check it out. Makes you want to play. Just to test out the 100+ amplifiers, and pedals. :)

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
I haveto, for my wedding, I plan to Play hotel alifornia with the Musician that will be the DJ (she will sing and play guitar aswell) haha xD

but I have to repair my guitar a bit (electrical issue for pickup switch), I need to change the frets, so maybe I'll just buy a new guitar haha!

tommyarmour

I haveto, for my wedding, I plan to Play hotel alifornia with the Musician that will be the DJ (she will sing and play guitar aswell) haha xD

but I have to repair my guitar a bit (electrical issue for pickup switch), I need to change the frets, so maybe I'll just buy a new guitar haha!
Yes new guitar is the only answer.

I just recently got back into playing. I already have 3 new guitars, 3 new amps. And software: Amplitube 3, guitar pro 6, RockSmith 2014. Etc, etc. Lol.

Guitars:
2015 Gibson less Paul studio
ESP E-II FRX
Yamaha FG700S
Amps:
EVH 50w 5150 III
EVH 2x12 Cab
Line 6 120w Spider IV (2 10's)
Marshall MG30CFX

Last edited:

tommyarmour

I also wonder if I would be happier going the next level. Maybe getting some medium to higher end mixer instead of these $50. plastic plugs.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Would you recommend one over the other?

No idea, never used any of them. Id reather just get a POD unit. You can hook them up to the pc and also use an amp i think