• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant thermal throttling i7-11800H 3060M

brodo

Hello, I'd like some help understanding how I can improve my throttling situation the best possible way.
Been using ThrottleStop lately, and while sometime the app can revert the system back to normal (in ~2 seconds) after it gets BD PROCHOT triggered, some other times it just doesn't and I have to close everything I have opened and restart basically.

specs:
Acer Nitro 5
i7-11800H
RTX 3060
16GB RAM

it mostly happens while gaming, and I'm not surprised, we all know "gaming" laptops have inadequate cooling systems.
I still haven't repasted because I dont have the correct tools to unscrew everything correctrly, but it is planned to be done sooner or later.
CPU is obviously locked, and I have to play around with Speed Shift and turning PROCHOT checkmark off when it gets triggered.
I'm using Performance Power plan and I did limit the cpu max speed at 90% in the plan box too thinking it would "slow it down" and not throttle. I wasn't right.

is it possible to set the program in some way to avoid throttling even tho we cant undervolt?

here are my settings

thanks everyone.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop_p6LYU0WvWC.png
    ThrottleStop_p6LYU0WvWC.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 8
  • ThrottleStop_oqsEQTNxw8.png
    ThrottleStop_oqsEQTNxw8.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 9
  • ThrottleStop_9WVrpeKOqM.png
    ThrottleStop_9WVrpeKOqM.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
  • rundll32_bgeh6tYAYH.png
    rundll32_bgeh6tYAYH.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
When using ThrottleStop, the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen should be clear and the MMIO Lock box near the top right corner of the TPL window should be checked.

Set the Windows Power Options Max processor state to 100%.

Check the Log File box and go play a game for 15 minutes. When done testing, attach a log file to your next post. Do not copy and paste the data. Just attach the .txt file. Hopefully the log file will include one of these instances when you would normally need to reboot to restore things. When ThrottleStop is setup correctly, you should not need to reboot to restore performance.

brodo

Good evening. so I did uncheck BD PROCHOT from main window, did check MMIO lock and set the cpu max state back to 100% as you suggested.
I checked the TS log folder too but the .txt file is empty for some reason.
I will run WayOfTheHunter as it triggers the throttle sensor every now and then. will update you asap.

thanks for your time.