• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair DDR3 unknown memory IC manufacturer

I'm curious who manufactured the memory IC chips on this Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 kit of memory. Micron, Hynix or Samsung? Thaiphoon Burner just says ''Undefined".

1612408147902.png

I surfed the web and found this forum post where Corsair associates the IC vendor with the version number on the memory module sticker. Mine says version "4.29", and so a memory IC size of 512Mb x8 would indicate that Samsung is the manufacturer? That post was last updated in 2011 but it seems to be the most reliable information so far.

20210204_134248.jpg

UPDATE: Seems as though Samsung is the correct answer. Ding ding ding! Got my confirmation from this memory overclocking info thread:

Reddit thread on memory overclocking

Corsair sticks identify the IC with a 'version number' on the label such as "ver4.31" - props to them for this as it helps even less knowledgeable users to match kits when adding more sticks retroactively. The DDR4 numbers aren't officially documented, but they follow the same pattern as DDR3.

The numbers take the "ver X.YZ" format where
* X is IC maker - 3 for Micron/Spectek, 4 for Samsung, 5 for Hynix, presumably 8 for Nanya as with DDR3.
* Y seems to be capacity per rank - 1 for 2GB, 2 for 4GB, 3 for 8GB. Usually this translates directly to IC density (8GB/rank = 8Gbit), but ver4.14 which uses half as many double width "x16" 4Gbit chips is a special case.
* Z is revision, usually starting from A=0 and usually counting up one letter per increment. Hynix's first revisions are lettered "M" which is numbered as X.Y9, Samsung now do this too and it will presumably be the same.

So my version number being a "4.xx" confirms that Samsung is the IC manufacturer. Great.
The "x.2x" apparently signifies 4GB per rank, which makes sense when it's 8GB per stick and they're dual rank.
The "x.x9" is the chip revision, but it's unclear EXACTLY which revision is indicated by a 9. Not that I really care anyway.

Last edited: