• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Transitions to More Comprehensive PSU Certifications from Cybenetics

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As the demand for more detailed power supply information grows, Corsair (Nasdaq: CRSR) will begin exclusively using Cybenetics' more advanced certifications for both efficiency and noise, moving away from 80 Plus certification. As part of this process, Corsair is dedicated to improving consumer awareness of the differences between Cybenetics and 80 Plus, so that they can shop with the confidence when selecting a PSU that it has undergone rigorous testing to ensure optimal performance, efficiency, and acoustics.

Cybenetics certification offers a more comprehensive assessment of PSU performance than its predecessor. It still rates efficiency on a familiar tier system in the form of Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium certifications, making the transition easy for PC enthusiasts. Cybenetics testing, however, is far more thorough and detailed than 80 Plus, leading to more accurate results.

Cybenetics has gained great traction within the industry in recent years for many reasons, including:
  • Enhanced Efficiency Metrics: Cybenetics provides a detailed efficiency profile across various loads, environments, and operational conditions, reflecting real-world usage more accurately.
  • Noise Level Assessment: In addition to efficiency, Cybenetics introduces a noise certification that categorizes PSUs based on their acoustic performance, from A++ (virtually silent) to F (noisy). This is particularly noteworthy for gamers and professionals who require quieter systems.
  • More Data Points: Cybenetics' testing methodology produces thousands of data points across all loads, rather than the handful of measurements produced during 80 Plus testing, ensuring more accurate results.
As part of its consumer awareness campaign, Corsair has released a new article with more detailed information about Cybenetics and 80 Plus certification including a full compatibility chart on its Explorer platform here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
more and more brands & oems will do this, the 80 plus tag has been used and abused for marketing purposes and too many people are confused by how to achieve the standard and what it means

also, this is a cool chart. Wish more brands would follow suit
that said only two 650w units after dropping the 1st Gen 650RMx? C'mon corsair

Last edited:
Whilst the Cybenetics tests are great and the info being easily available is really good for consumers, I don't necessarily feel their rating system makes things all that much clearer.

Noise rating being 'Standard'/+/++ or A->A>A+>A++ are, at a glance, not helpful - nobody is going to memorise the information table behind it. How will the average joe consumer know that Standard++ is worse than say A- without being aware of the ratings system.
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=lambda-(psus)

Also, as mentioned in the new post, the efficiency ratings system itself follows a similar pattern as 80+ did so I see it as more evolutionary - good to see a vendor embracing it but I suspect that Corsair will still be getting/putting 80+ certification ratings on products due to either OEM or regulatory requirement.

The biggest benefit to the Cybenetics testing is that it is consistent and the information is easily / freely accessible compared to trying to find 80+ certification information.

Whilst the Cybenetics tests are great and the info being easily available is really good for consumers, I don't necessarily feel their rating system makes things all that much clearer.

Noise rating being 'Standard'/+/++ or A->A>A+>A++ are, at a glance, not helpful - nobody is going to memorise the information table behind it. How will the average joe consumer know that Standard++ is worse than say A- without being aware of the ratings system.
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=lambda-(psus)

Also, as mentioned in the new post, the efficiency ratings system itself follows a similar pattern as 80+ did so I see it as more evolutionary - good to see a vendor embracing it but I suspect that Corsair will still be getting/putting 80+ certification ratings on products due to either OEM or regulatory requirement.

The biggest benefit to the Cybenetics testing is that it is consistent and the information is easily / freely accessible compared to trying to find 80+ certification information.
Take a look at the paper here, and you will see why the Cybenetics system is way more advanced:

Cybenetics efficiency doesn't have to do anything with what 80 PLUS does. We use a different approach to extracting our efficiency (and noise) results. Only the ratings are similar, NOT to confuse users.
Moreover, we test everything in-house; we don't outsource testing. This is the most important since it provides us with the necessary experience to develop our system further.

Take a look at the paper here, and you will see why the Cybenetics system is way more advanced:

Cybenetics efficiency doesn't have to do anything with what 80 PLUS does. We use a different approach to extracting our efficiency (and noise) results. Only the ratings are similar, NOT to confuse users.
Moreover, we test everything in-house; we don't outsource testing. This is the most important since it provides us with the necessary experience to develop our system further.

Hi @crmaris , I've followed a lot of your work and testing across various outlets over the years and it's all great stuff - I thought it was quite brave starting the Cybenetics thing originally.
Not many manufacturers are keen on having the 'wizzards curtain' pulled back and a detailed analysis given showing where the corners have been cut, and is obviously a magnitude better than what 80plus test for (e.g. they don't really care about DC crossload regulation, hold-ups, etc.) - too many pieces of junk carry an 80plus badge (assuming they actually earned it and its not just on the label) as if it is some mark of quality.

As I commented "The biggest benefit to the Cybenetics testing is that it is consistent and the information is easily / freely accessible", my only complaint is that I think the noise standard ratings have fallen into that same trap as the EU efficiency labelling for domestic products where A was the top, then A+, then A++, and in some cases a re-categorisation like for LED lights that took things that were A++ down to C.
'Standard' left no room to award a product a 'Noise Bomb' rating - I assume you'd just leave it blank - a rating with a number would potentially be more helpful (similar to EU tyre label noise I guess although that still has A>C ratings).

My only other comment would be maybe it's time to have a rating which shows when design choices have been made which either are out-dated or completely at odds with what would be needed for working optimally with newer systems. For example, the EVGA 650 N1 was crap even when it was new.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW | Sapphire PULSE RX 590
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
kinda overwhelming amount of data

Need a new psu and then you have to study this new rating system.

the noise part is confusing

I think the "highest" noise possible should serve as the sole rating, with MAYBE something to indicate if the PSU has a 0 db mode.

I also think that noise rating is confusing. Imo it should go: A;B;C and so on with further letters meaning worse. It would be even easier to sort or memorize. This S+++++ seems some strange Japanese stuff which should never leave damn Japan!

Just look at the efficiency one as alternative to the 80plus rating - the noise one doesn't have an equivalent for the most part.
To be honest, if think there is something you want to buy then you can go to the Cybenetics Power Supply page and open the report for the PSU (so long as it's been tested). Aris has tested a lot of the PSU's there on some review sites such as Tom's Hardware and TPU, so the odds aren't terrible that if it's on the list there is probably a review for it detailing pros and cons.

theraflu

Not really, the Efficiency rating is exactly the same level of simplicity.

So if all you care about is efficiency you look at 80 Plus Gold and it's the same as Cybenetics Gold.

The difference is that you can also see noise levels and other detailed electrical specifications on their full reports.

In early days 80+ was also equally forthcoming of testing information but over the years it has become more difficult to get testing reports.

Case fancier than yours
Noise rating being 'Standard'/+/++ or A->A>A+>A++ are, at a glance, not helpful - nobody is going to memorise the information table behind it
why? it's not that hard as it's based on db level. CM does a good job breaking it down for anyone having issues with the ratings
In early days 80+ was also equally forthcoming of testing information but over the years it has become more difficult to get testing reports.
not really, their database is updated to mid July of this year.

why? it's not that hard as it's based on db level. CM does a good job breaking it down for anyone having issues with the ratings

I didn't say it was hard - my point is just that mixing terms in a noise rating is not ideal for people who are interested enough to want to know if something is better or worse but don't want to actually know terminology differences. When people buy fuel, they may not know what RON/Octane actually is but bigger number = better.

Basically, you should plan a rating system that would work for the average future person in the film 'Idiocracy'.

Ironically, in terms of efficiency rating, I hadn't even considered the fact that some people may actually think gold trumps platinum or titanium - at the end of the day in the real world nobody attributes much value to those metals because unless you cared you wouldn't really actually know the real world uses / differences of them - luckily many in the PC / OEM space understand the value and differences but if someone was just casually buying stuff for their kid / grandchild at whatever store, they may well think "gold... what can be better than that".
And, no I'm not blaming Cybenetics / CM for that - 80Plus should have embraced a better scheme and, like the EU labelling methodology for noise, actually be brave enough to put some numbers on it. Guess they never expected something to be that much better than gold would ever get to, but more fool them.

Last edited:
System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
instead of gold rating, use TiN rating… lol.. TiN coating looks like gold (superficially) but does not have the stare at-all-day look. but it does look nice on drill bits.

i think it is funny because tin is cheap. bronze is worth more than tin, (i think)

TiN = titanium nitride coating...

in any case, my FSP hydro ti, is in the top 3 GOAT PSU’s (1000 watt series) and maybe the best ever.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@dirtyferret
because no one buys the 650, when i can have the 750 for 10$ more/at same price (sometimes even less).
so far not a single time i checked pricing on 650/750 for mine/other builds, did it make sense to go with the 650.

Case fancier than yours
because no one buys the 650, when i can have the 750 for 10$ more/at same price (sometimes even less).
so far not a single time i checked pricing on 650/750 for mine/other builds, did it make sense to go with the 650.
I know the price difference is sometimes $10 although last time I purchased a unit it was $20 between 650w & 750w but I still like the option of 650w. I know the 1st gen RMx had a 650w unit and it's not like Corsair updated the ATX spec for the second gen so I'm guessing it was a cost cutting move.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
This S+++++ seems some strange Japanese stuff which should never leave damn Japan!
Author of the spec is in Cyprus, but ok.

I have confidence TPU's old PSU reviewer won't have that issue.

in any case, my FSP hydro ti, is in the top 3 GOAT PSU’s (1000 watt series) and maybe the best ever.
I have the 850W version of yours. They are indeed fine PSUs. As long as you mean FSP Hydro Ti Pro, because nonpro is a separate line entirely.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024

It's not Japan?

Wrong. Using something "seeming coming from Japan" may be done by somebody being in Cyprus or wherever. Not counting rather obviously not serious tone of my original post you answered with trying hard to be smart and now I made you look stupid ;)

Case fancier than yours
Wrong. Using something "seeming coming from Japan" may be done by somebody being in Cyprus or wherever. Not counting rather obviously not serious tone of my original post you answered with trying hard to be smart and now I made you look stupid
1) not sure you can call someone stupid when you are comparing a rating system using a latin script letter as being "Japanese".
2) R-T-B has been on the forums for almost two decades helping people, I would consider him "smart". You have been on the forum for a year and mostly gotten into arguments with other people with your "I'm smart and everyone else is stupid" viewpoint.

1) not sure you can call someone stupid when you are comparing a rating system using a latin script letter as being "Japanese".

Because this "Japanese" system is widely used in products coming from Japan. E.g. games to not search too far. I wouldn't even count me once again needing to remind not being serious.

2) R-T-B has been on the forums for almost two decades helping people, I would consider him "smart". You have been on the forum for a year and mostly gotten into arguments with other people with your "I'm smart and everyone else is stupid" viewpoint.

Helping people for however long time doesn't make anybody smart. Trying to support it with comparing it with how you see my activity is rethoric shit. Plus even this thread shows that I always explain why I find somebody stupid.

We both know that you once again try to push me and this is how I once again and as always wipe the floor with you. It all once again shows that you are lacking, and finally get that trying to do the same thing over and over again results in the same effect ;)

:laugh:

Case fancier than yours
Helping people for however long time doesn't make anybody smart.
but it makes them helpful which leads me to

It all once again shows that you are lacking,
my reaction score
messages 4,239 reaction score 5,496
R-TB
messages 21,059 reaction score 26,022
your score
messages 380 reaction score 290

seems the people like and agree when R-T-B and I post

when post stuff the people like and agree with it....

but it makes them helpful which leads me to

my reaction score
messages 4,239 reaction score 5,496
R-TB
messages 21,059 reaction score 26,022
your score
messages 380 reaction score 290

seems the people like and agree when R-T-B and I post

when post stuff the people like and agree with it....

Your answer is reaction score. Really? It's just bad.

Reaction score being combination of posts rewarded by others likely thanks to their value combined in totally unmeasurable degree with people mass liking each other posts to drive their reaction score up. People who care about amount of some - I even guess - damn stars next to their signature or whatever "profile score". How stupid, awful and low-esteem being man has to be to care about such things or suggest with them... When all what matters is value of words in any other post.

As a bonus maybe check now if I even bother to give reactions. I did it maybe few times and stopped long ago. Anybody reading it and having tendency to like my posts - know that I don't care about your likes and won't start liking yours in exchange, so save yourself these clicks ;)

Not counting that you bother me with answering to your offtopic. And once again you get beaten to only confirm what I wrote in my previous post. Maybe stop? Or maybe continue and report me when things start looking too bad for you. Btw I also don't care to the point I've never reported anybody or just never bothered mods with anything and I bet I just gave you opportunity to feel worse once again ;)

Case fancier than yours