• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cosmic

System Name Linux Desktop
Processor ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard msi meg x570s ace max
Cooling nzxt kraken x63
Memory gskill ddr4 3600 32gigs
Video Card(s) radeon 6800 xt
Storage corsair mp600 m2 2800 2tb
Display(s) dark matter ultrawide 3440x1440
Case bequiet
Mouse pulsar xlite v3 es
Keyboard sp-111
Software OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Wondering what you all think about the new DE from system76?

For those unaware: system76 has been developing a brand new ground up DE for linux called "Cosmic" for a little while now. It's written in Rust, and they just recently released the first alpha which is available for testing now. More info here: https://system76.com/cosmic

Personally I'm very excited for this project! I know there are about a dozen DE's already out there, but in reality I think this is a good modern competitor to the duopoly we currently have. I really like popos in general (even though its based on ubuntu which I dislike) so it'll be very interesting to see where this project goes. The reviews of people using it in Alpha have also been very complimentary. ESPECIALLY for a first release alpha.

There was some recent news that the dev team will release a Fedora Spin soon which I will definitely try out, whichever release it makes it to. I currently use Plasma, which I'm mostly happy with, but a change would be welcome.

I tested it the other day (it's in the Arch repo) and it was quite buggy and to some extend not very intuitive (compared to Gnome and Plasma). I removed it straight away considering it just "not ready yet".

I'm not sure how it will do mid/long term against the obvious competitors, but I don't really feel it is needed in the first place. I get that system76 want to get "their spin" on Linux, but I doubt it will gain a lot of traction. When I first tried Plasma 6 when it hit Arch "stable" (so transition from extra-testing to extra), I was significantly more impressed with that (and I never was a KDE guy).

That being said, I never was a desktop environment guy in general. I always preferred the light ones (mostly Blackbox/Openbox back in the days, now on Wayland Hyprland), so take my words with a grain of salt.