• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPB Enabled Boot Loop

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 4th Gen 8 Core, 16 Threads Unlocked
Motherboard ASUS - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard with LED Lighting
Cooling Corsair-iCue H100i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler
Memory CORSAIR - VENGEANCE PRO 32GB (2PK x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 C18 DIMM Desktop Memory with RGB lighting
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6 Raw II Ultra
Storage Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe/ HDD Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Display(s) x2 Samsung 27” Class Curved 1920x1080 VGA HDMI 60Hz 4ms AMD Freesync HD LED Monitor
Power Supply ASUS TUF GAMING 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Non-Modular Power Supply
Mouse CORSAIR - Scimitar RGB Elite Wired Optical Gaming Mouse with 17 Programmable Buttons
Keyboard CORSAIR - K55 RGB Pro Full-size Wired Dome Membrane Gaming Keyboard with Elgato Stream Deck Softwar
Software Windows 11 Pro
I have had my build for a couple years and can’t seem to use default bios settings or load PC without turning off CPB. Is there a way around it to be able to use CPB without a boot loop happening. Shows 1.48 for Core Voltage and stays there for some reason unless I turn it off and the base 3.8 speeds for my Ryzen 7 5800X never go past 3.8 well CPB is on anyways but it never goes to log in screen only once in a while it will but it’ll reboot after a couple seconds until I turn off the CPB. Everything else works perfectly fine even able to run D.O.C.P but cannot have CPB on at all or it’ll not boot and run or play anything.

What I am running:
MoBo: Asus Tuf Gaming x570 plus wifi
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x unlocked
GPU: Radeon 5700XT Raw II Ultra
PSU: Asus tuf gaming 750W
Memory: CORSAIR - VENGEANCE PRO 32GB (2PK x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 C18 DIMM Desktop Memory with RGB lighting

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
CPB is literally just the Turbo Boost function, but for AMD. Disabling it gets exactly the same result as it would on Intel - no boost, CPU stuck to base clock spec.

It sounds like either your board (most likely) or CPU needs an RMA. This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of something like this.

Have you updated to any newer BIOSes first? Do that first. Lots of AGESA changes in the past 3 years.

Motherboard ASUS - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard with LED Lighting
Memory CORSAIR - VENGEANCE PRO 32GB (2PK x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 C18 DIMM Desktop Memory with RGB lighting
Storage Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe/ HDD Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Display(s) x2 Samsung 27” Class Curved 1920x1080 VGA HDMI 60Hz 4ms AMD Freesync HD LED Monitor
Power Supply ASUS TUF GAMING 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Non-Modular Power Supply
Mouse CORSAIR - Scimitar RGB Elite Wired Optical Gaming Mouse with 17 Programmable Buttons
Keyboard CORSAIR - K55 RGB Pro Full-size Wired Dome Membrane Gaming Keyboard with Elgato Stream Deck Softwar
Software Windows 11 Pro
CPB is literally just the Turbo Boost function, but for AMD. Disabling it gets exactly the same result as it would on Intel - no boost, CPU stuck to base clock spec.

It sounds like either your board (most likely) or CPU needs an RMA. This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of something like this.

Wait, it's been a couple of years already? Guess you're gonna have to pay for RMA then.
Same here I have looked it all up and everything but nothing much but people saying try doing PBO or something to bring it to normal but I can turn up the clock and manually set voltage and it’ll run higher than 3.8 I had it going at 4.2 and it was fine no errors or anything and was smooth but I don’t want to be stuck at one speed. I don’t play a lot of games mostly World of Warcraft, a little bit of Call of duty not much and really that is about it and used to stream also and it was all fine till last year and been playing at base speeds for a year straight no issues just would like to be able to have some type of boost or better performance than sitting at 3.8 and that’s it

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Same here I have looked it all up and everything but nothing much but people saying try doing PBO or something to bring it to normal but I can turn up the clock and manually set voltage and it’ll run higher than 3.8 I had it going at 4.2 and it was fine no errors or anything and was smooth but I don’t want to be stuck at one speed. I don’t play a lot of games mostly World of Warcraft, a little bit of Call of duty not much and really that is about it and used to stream also and it was all fine till last year and been playing at base speeds for a year straight no issues just would like to be able to have some type of boost or better performance than sitting at 3.8 and that’s it

What BIOS are you on, and did you ever update it?

Manual volts on Zen 3 is not a great idea - either you still lose significant performance, struggle to get stability, or risk degradation. Better to solve this problem that shouldn't be happening.

Software Windows 11 Pro
What BIOS are you on, and did you ever update it?
I’m on the newest bios update for Asus tuf gaming x570 plus WiFi. Which is 5013. An I updated it all when I built it before I played or did anything else with the system.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
I’m on the newest bios update for Asus tuf gaming x570 plus WiFi. Which is 5013. An I updated it all when I built it before I played or did anything else with the system.

Interesting. If you're sure that CPB alone is the culprit, you might have to try a different board/CPU temporarily, if you can get a hold of one with a good return policy.

You could try disabling Global Cstates as well (can't remember where exactly in Asus BIOS, use the search function (F6? F9?)). Can help alleviate low load stability issues with bad CPU samples with inappropriate V-F tables

Software Windows 11 Pro
Interesting. If you're sure that CPB alone is the culprit, you might have to try a different board/CPU temporarily, if you can get a hold of one with a good return policy.

You could try disabling Global Cstates as well (can't remember where exactly in Asus BIOS, use the search function (F6? F9?)). Can help alleviate low load stability issues with bad CPU samples with inappropriate V-F tables
Okay I will give this a try and should I enable CPB and do it ?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yes since base clock stability is not in issue
Okay I tried just doing the boot loop. So I turned off the CPB and it at base speeds with docp and cstate disabled

I might have made a possible fix to it. Right now using OCCT to test CPU now. And if all is good I’m a list what I did here and I have CPB enabled too. Might try one thing after just a little minor tweak to see if it is fine fully

Looks like I was able to get it to work now and be stable temps are normal not going high and voltage good now. I changed a lot of bios settings since most were disabled by default. But PBO and CPB are enabled by default. Asus Tuf x570-Plus (WiFi)/ Ryzen 7 5800x/ 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 C18 bios settings all changed from defaults and this is everything I changed benchmarked it and it wasnt low but wasnt highest either or nothing it was compared it but at least CPB is abled to be used and other functions are to that werent able to be. I'll be trying in WoW and other games I play and see how it goes.

AI Tweaker Settings Tab:
AI Overclock Tuner: D.O.C.P
SB Clock Spread Spectrum: Disabled
VDDCR CPU Voltage: Manual - Set 1.20000
VDDCR SoC Voltage: Manual - Set 1.15000
Advanced Tab:
PCI Subsystem Settings:
Above 4G Decoding: Enabled
Resize BAR Support: Auto
AMD PBS:
Data Link Exchange: Enabled
AMD CBS:
CPB: Auto (Default)
Global C-State Control: Disabled
CPU Common Options:
Power Supply Idle Control: Typical Current
Boot Tab: CSM:
Launch CSM: Disabled

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Okay I tried just doing the boot loop. So I turned off the CPB and it at base speeds with docp and cstate disabled

I might have made a possible fix to it. Right now using OCCT to test CPU now. And if all is good I’m a list what I did here and I have CPB enabled too. Might try one thing after just a little minor tweak to see if it is fine fully

Looks like I was able to get it to work now and be stable temps are normal not going high and voltage good now. I changed a lot of bios settings since most were disabled by default. But PBO and CPB are enabled by default. Asus Tuf x570-Plus (WiFi)/ Ryzen 7 5800x/ 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 C18 bios settings all changed from defaults and this is everything I changed benchmarked it and it wasnt low but wasnt highest either or nothing it was compared it but at least CPB is abled to be used and other functions are to that werent able to be. I'll be trying in WoW and other games I play and see how it goes.

AI Tweaker Settings Tab:
AI Overclock Tuner: D.O.C.P
SB Clock Spread Spectrum: Disabled
VDDCR CPU Voltage: Manual - Set 1.20000
VDDCR SoC Voltage: Manual - Set 1.00000
VDDG CCD Voltage Control: 0.900
VDDG IOD Voltage Control: 0.900
CLDO VDDP Voltage: 0.900
Advanced Tab:
PCI Subsystem Settings:
Above 4G Decoding: Enabled
Resize BAR Support: Auto
AMD PBS:
Data Link Exchange: Enabled
AMD Overclocking:
Precision Boost Overdrive:
PBO: Advanced
PBO Limits: Auto
PBO Scalar: Auto
AMD CBS:
CPB: Auto (Default)
Global C-State Control: Disabled
CPU Common Options:
Power Supply Idle Control: Low Current Idle
Boot Tab: CSM:
Launch CSM: Disabled

Why would you set manual Vcore? It all but ensures that you will be unable to hit high single threaded boost (stock Fmax is 4850). You will see Vcore naturally spike high regularly on Ryzen 5000 because that's how it works, it needs the Vcore to hit Fmax.

PBO should have nothing to do with CPB. They are separate features altogether; all that enabling PBO does here is muddy the waters further so we have no idea what is causing the reboots. PBO should never be enabled by default on a clean BIOS after clearing CMOS - it should always be "Auto", which is equivalent to Disabled.

Power Supply Idle control can be set to Typical if you want to be extra sure - Low Current Idle is the default but worse silicon quality samples can have issues with idle reboots because of it.

If 3600 (1800MHz FCLK/UCLK) is stable at 1.0V SOC and 0.9V VDDG/VDDP, then that's fine, but don't just set them randomly. Can leave them at a safer setting (ie. 1.1/1.05/1.05/0.9) so they aren't interfering with troubleshooting.

Did C-states disabled alone (combined with CPB on) still result in reboots?

Software Windows 11 Pro
Why would you set manual Vcore? It all but ensures that you will be unable to hit high single threaded boost (stock Fmax is 4850). You will see Vcore naturally spike high regularly on Ryzen 5000 because that's how it works, it needs the Vcore to hit Fmax.

PBO should have nothing to do with CPB. They are separate features altogether; all that enabling PBO does here is muddy the waters further so we have no idea what is causing the reboots. PBO should never be enabled by default on a clean BIOS after clearing CMOS - it should always be "Auto", which is equivalent to Disabled.

Power Supply Idle control can be set to Typical if you want to be extra sure - Low Current Idle is the default but worse silicon quality samples can have issues with idle reboots because of it.

If 3600 (1800MHz FCLK/UCLK) is stable at 1.0V SOC and 0.9V VDDG/VDDP, then that's fine, but don't just set them randomly. Can leave them at a safer setting (ie. 1.1/1.05/1.05/0.9) so they aren't interfering with troubleshooting.

Did C-states disabled alone (combined with CPB on) still result in reboots?
Yes it did result in reboots again. And I didn’t set randomly looked around seen some others had same specs and said it was working when manually setting the voltage. Said the CPU could be the fault since if it is all default bios and cpb only disabled will work but stuck with base clock. They said try them numbers on voltage and go from there. It is under 1.2 a little instead of being only 1.48 it hasn’t rebooted once it boot looped and no heating issues at all everything seems to feel how it did when I first built it and got it all done and setup only thing that slowed it down is keeping CPB disabled when it was enabled by default and worked fine for a year. So setting it manual it kept all feeling same just lower voltage and hitting 4.8 boost again but I don’t do much heavy stuff just gaming

Edited my last post so everything back to default. I ran some games for a minute and played around now for a while with them bios settings set like that. Changed the SoC though to 1.15 and it hasn’t done one reboot at all and system is running stable now with CPB on and Core at 1.20