• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU PL1 limit and TVB causing Power Limit Throttling

BusinessFrog

so i am kind of new to this whole ThrottleStop thing and i watched some tutorials and came up with my own settings but whenever i run the cpu on the TS bench on all threads normal priority 960M size it always goes super slow and power limit throttles and when i look into the limits section its mostly PL1 red, TVB and EDP yellow and it isnt consistent at all sometimes both PL1 and PL2 limits are yellow and sometimes THERMAL and EDP become red but it all starts with TVB being red then going back to yellow

my goal is to get this damn laptop to be cool while not losing too much performance so could y'all help me out with this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-07 154718.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 154718.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2024-07-07 154727.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 154727.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2024-07-07 154738.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 154738.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2024-07-07 154757.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 154757.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2024-07-07 155309.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 155309.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 48

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You can clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window to get rid of TVB throttling. TVB throttling only slows the CPU down 100 MHz so it is not the end of the world. It is OK to leave this as is.

PL1 power limit throttling is a fact of life with your CPU. If you increase the PL1 power limit to get rid of power limit throttling, the CPU will thermal throttle instead of power limit throttle. You will be no further ahead.

The 10750H puts out big time heat. Most laptops with these processors do not have adequate cooling to run them at full power and full speed. Your voltage settings look OK. Being forced to set the turbo ratios to 38 to try to get your computer to run at a reasonable temperature ends up sacrificing a lot of performance.

1720457811076.png

That is about as good as it gets. Somewhere around 75W to 80W is about all the heat your laptop can dissipate before it starts to overheat and thermal throttle. You can take your laptop apart and blow out any dust and you can replace the thermal paste with some Honeywell PTM 7950 but I doubt this will make any significant difference. I might blow out any dust but the thermal paste does not seem that bad. The main problem is the heatsink and cooling system are under designed.

Intel says the 10750H has a 45W TDP power rating. If you read the fine print, 45W is the max when running at the base frequency of 2.60 GHz.

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

Most manufacturers seem to have built the cooling system around the 45W Intel spec which was a big mistake. The 45W number does not take into consideration how much power is needed for Intel Turbo Boost. These CPUs might need up to 70W, 80W, or 90W to run at full speed. If the cooling system cannot keep up, thermal throttling will be the result.

BusinessFrog

You can clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window to get rid of TVB throttling. TVB throttling only slows the CPU down 100 MHz so it is not the end of the world. It is OK to leave this as is.

PL1 power limit throttling is a fact of life with your CPU. If you increase the PL1 power limit to get rid of power limit throttling, the CPU will thermal throttle instead of power limit throttle. You will be no further ahead.

The 10750H puts out big time heat. Most laptops with these processors do not have adequate cooling to run them at full power and full speed. Your voltage settings look OK. Being forced to set the turbo ratios to 38 to try to get your computer to run at a reasonable temperature ends up sacrificing a lot of performance.

View attachment 354493

That is about as good as it gets. Somewhere around 75W to 80W is about all the heat your laptop can dissipate before it starts to overheat and thermal throttle. You can take your laptop apart and blow out any dust and you can replace the thermal paste with some Honeywell PTM 7950 but I doubt this will make any significant difference. I might blow out any dust but the thermal paste does not seem that bad. The main problem is the heatsink and cooling system are under designed.

Intel says the 10750H has a 45W TDP power rating. If you read the fine print, 45W is the max when running at the base frequency of 2.60 GHz.

Most manufacturers seem to have built the cooling system around the 45W Intel spec which was a big mistake. The 45W number does not take into consideration how much power is needed for Intel Turbo Boost. These CPUs might need up to 70W, 80W, or 90W to run at full speed. If the cooling system cannot keep up, thermal throttling will be the result.
so what you are saying is this is the prime and maximum i can get out of my cpu without without sacrificing too much power?

aight man thanks for the help