• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cuda Utilization Stat

Hello, is there a way to show CUDA utilization? Currently windows task manager can do this, but haven't seen this in GPUZ or in RTSS. Is this a buried stat? It definitely seems to matter as certain programs will end up CUDA bound, which effectively is the same thing as reaching 100% utilization and causes all sorts of issues.

Also if there is anyway to monitor the Raytracing engines of either AMD or Nvidia, as you can also end up RT bound without being GPU util or compute (CUDA) bound it would be a great addition to the program.

Thanks.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
"GPU Usage" in GPU-Z should show what you are looking for. I don't think it's exposed separately because CUDA cores = shader cores

Not aware of any way to monitor RT engines

It doesn't appear to be the case. You can find this in Task Manager > performance > gpu > on the little ^ pulldown menu click on it and select Cuda for the graph. Certain programs will utilize CUDA, but not overall utilization. The cuda utilization neither shows up in GPUZ nor task manager under 3D, only under the utilization graph. It appears to be something relatively new.

For instance I'm using SVP right now which will utilize CUDA more then normal utilization. While CUDA appears to be independent, if it hits 100% it causes all sorts of stuttering and weird jankiness even if 3D or GPU utilization is under 100 or even 90. It's some other sort of bottleneck on the cards. OBS is another one depending on what sort of encoding you're doing using the GPU.

I don't know exactly when it was added, I just happened across it and realize some of the weird issues I was having were associated with it. Then noticed neither GPUZ nor RTSS monitor it.

izy

What GPU are you using? I dont seem to have CUDA as an option.
1720441972981.png

Edit: Seems that it wont show when you have HAGS ON (havent tested took the info from the web)

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
158.9 Watts. 158.9% TDP? Huh? Bug?

Holy fan speed! Are you running into scary temperatures some times? Or do you just like being extra safe?

One of my computers had a outdated version of GPUZ, .54. After updating it looks like it picks either CUDA or 3D for utilization, whichever is higher. Prior to that it wasn't reporting a correct value for CUDA. Still doesn't tell you which it is, but still gives a indicator of overall utilization. However that sometimes isn't either CUDA or 3D and it's some sort of combination of the two, but not additive.

Task manager most definitely can be wrong, but there is something more going on here.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: izy
158.9 Watts. 158.9% TDP? Huh? Bug?
No bug, vbios has been modded to set default power at 100W. Also means when changing power levels it is easier as percentage is equivalent to Watts. TBH I never liked the idea of using percentages instead of Watts.
Holy fan speed! Are you running into scary temperatures some times? Or do you just like being extra safe?
Sometimes but in this case just being extra lazy :D

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
No bug, vbios has been modded to set default power at 100W. Also means when changing power levels it is easier as percentage is equivalent to Watts. TBH I never liked the idea of using percentages instead of Watts.
I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense. If you assume that default power limits are based on longevity, warranties, and engineering (they are), abstracting that away to the point that power percentage means nothing, serves nobody anything of value. You just want two different fields to tell you the same number? Lunacy. How does that help you?

izy

Any idea why enabling HAGS hides/disables so many sensors? Any trick to restore them with HAGS on? Does it happen only for Nvidia GPUs?

Edit: Maybe GPU-Z should show the info about having HAGS on or off like it does for ReBar. (maybe showing all other sensors that you can see with HAGS off in TM too)

Last edited: