• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Power off

hightechredneck

I have two CP1500AVRs connected to computer, one for CPU and one for peripherals (LCD, USB hubs, etc). Storm came through and computer and both UPS were off, I assume power went off but found no other signs of power failures (like clocks resetting). I powered both units back up verified the UPS were fully charged, unplugged from wall and both switched to batteries with no issues.
About 4 hours later power flickered/surge and both units powered off. I have other UPS on different outlets and all the others had no issues.
Again powered back on and verified both switch to battery as expected.

I am wondering if the CP1500AVR saw over voltage condition and shut down? That is does the CP1500AVR shut down with over voltage conditions? I could not find this information in manual or anywhere so I figured someone might know?

I have moved CPU's CP1500AVR to different outlet to see if it makes a difference on next power surge.

gord787

Hey! Yeah, CP1500AVR has overvoltage protection and will shut down to prevent damage. That's probably what happened. Good move trying a different outlet, let us know if it makes a difference!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That UPS has an LCD display panel, right? It should show line in (mains) voltage. And yes, if line in voltage is high, it will switch over to battery or switch off - to protect the connected equipment and the UPS.

Also, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK, or this one for German outlets) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

hightechredneck

I was suspecting that the line got a voltage spike or EMI filters had back EMF that triggered the AVR and shut down the whole device. I would have thought that the internal micro in the CP1500AVR would be powered off battery and would have flagged and error and switch over to battery. However the whole unit powered down, like instant power off.

I figured that the one outlet that had issue was on different phase of the mains, and thus maybe a voltage spike on only that phase. This is possible, but I figure it is unlikely... I should check and see if the load on each phase is well matched, it might be that one phase of my power is being overloaded.

The LCD does show correct voltage and the wiring is all correct. The unit is in a detached shop that when build had a second ground rod installed from main power entry. Also all the outlets have ground fault protection and a surge suppressor at power inlet.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Ground loops can be an issue, so one normally avoids more than one ground.