• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Decrease your GPU temps with 10 C - is cheap and easy to do

Hello,

Hope the video and this post will help you guys decreasing temps on your GPU. Effort is minimal. In my case went 10 C lower just with a use of a 92mm fan.

I suggest the best fan for this application to be a 92 mm fan, as my test shows is better than the 120 mm fan , haven't tried and 80 mm yet.

My setup is 7600 Ryzen, GPU 1080 Ti EVGA, Lian Li OD 11 Dynamic XL.

If you have questions pls let me know.

Is the second test I've done on this particular mod, present driver 555.85 the earlier test was on 536 driver and on that was 8-9 C lower.

In the description of the video I posted results of a test in BF V with RPM reduced on GPU fans and back case exhaust fan for who is interested.

Fans used on my GPU are NF-B9 -redux x3 + 1 NF-A9 PWM

Thanks

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Alphacooled
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC EKWB @ ~2000/1275
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro UK English
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Interesting. I could try would this help also with my watercooled 3080. Or with my aircooled 6700 XT.

System Name Hakuna Matata
Processor Risen fist gen
Motherboard in asus on that first cripset
Cooling air
Memory solid
Video Card(s) on board geforce
Storage garage, small cabinet and basement
Display(s) monitor
Case atx
Power Supply mains 240v
Mouse with two butons
Software win 7 torrent edition
thanks brother!

Everybody should start with going well cooled GPU model instead of trying to save damn 10% with going bottom of the barrel. Everything all right out of the box or few years with loud garbage and worrying about temperatures. Going shitty GPU model i totally basic pc building mistake like e.g. buying PSU nobody reviewed. Guys doing so and defending it with "you can do uv and set fan curve" are even worse, because some suggest with them.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
3080 have higher TDP maybe you'll get a even better decrease than on my 1080 Ti with only 290W TDP.
Yup, ~350W power draw in load isn't rare with this card. I'll try with 3DMark Steel Nomad before and after a fan and report later. :toast:

edit: My card is watercooler though so the fan would suck just some air from the backplate so I'm not waiting for any miracles..

Everybody should start with going well cooled GPU model instead of trying to save damn 10% with going bottom of the barrel. Everything all right out of the box or few years with loud garbage and worrying about temperatures. Going shitty GPU model i totally basic pc building mistake like e.g. buying PSU nobody reviewed. Guys doing so and defending it with "you can do uv and set fan curve" are even worse, because some suggest with them.
Define well cooled! -
1. Most of the manufacturers equip the GPUs with 10mm thickness fans, on a deshrouded card you can easy use the standard 25mm thickness - already an advantage- more air pushed and lower noise.
2. Manufacturers paint the back plates and pipes, rads- even on the expensive cards. Only Kingpin and few went for bare Copper which should be the norm.
3. Manufacturers NiZn plate the cold plates which very bad thermal conductor alloy. I had many bare Copper rads or I fixed PC and laptops with bare copper or Aluminum cold plates and rad- never seen corrosion or oxidation. Plating them with NiZn alloy is just an excuse, even the plating is very thin, does count.
4. Lack of Lead in soldering result in small fissure in PCB circuits- even GPU does not die immediately, because of the fissure some electronic parts will overheat over normal just because are dependent of the fissure tracing or partially interrupted circuit.
Lead is not toxic for the use unless that soldering material goes over 380 C giving up lead fumes, is toxic only when recycled if is not done properly.
To overcome the loss of elasticity in soldering without lead you need to add enough silver and that is expensive. As result more electronics will do reach the landfills faster.

Is it really eco the lack of lead in soldering?

We can do something about pointy 1 but the other 3 - very little or nothing

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Good points above. But are backplates painted, I thought they're anodized?

Also agree that ROHS solder is a death sentence for electronics when compared to traditional leaded solder.

Define well cooled! -
1. Most of the manufacturers equip the GPUs with 10mm thickness fans, on a deshrouded card you can easy use the standard 25mm thickness - already an advantage- more air pushed and lower noise.
2. Manufacturers paint the back plates and pipes, rads- even on the expensive cards. Only Kingpin and few went for bare Copper which should be the norm.
3. Manufacturers NiZn plate the cold plates which very bad thermal conductor alloy. I had many bare Copper rads or I fixed PC and laptops with bare copper or Aluminum cold plates and rad- never seen corrosion or oxidation. Plating them with NiZn alloy is just an excuse, even the plating is very thin, does count.
4. Lack of Lead in soldering result in small fissure in PCB circuits- even GPU does not die immediately, because of the fissure some electronic parts will overheat over normal just because are dependent of the fissure tracing or partially interrupted circuit.
Lead is not toxic for the use unless that soldering material goes over 380 C giving up lead fumes, is toxic only when recycled if is not done properly.
To overcome the loss of elasticity in soldering without lead you need to add enough silver and that is expensive. As result more electronics will do reach the landfills faster.

Is it really eco the lack of lead in soldering?

We can do something about pointy 1 but the other 3 - very little or nothing

You really have problem guessing what does "well cooled model" mean?

You just wrote stuff to brag that you know things or two, but you started with asking stupid question ;)

Don't treat what I said in previous post as some counter to your orignal idea - it was thing to do to avoid needing going ideas like yours. For me obvious, but not for everybody who may happen to read it.

You really have problem guessing what does "well cooled model" mean?

You just wrote stuff to brag that you know things or two, but you started with asking stupid question ;)

Don't treat what I said in previous post as some counter to your orignal idea - it was thing to do to avoid needing going ideas like yours. For me obvious, but not for everybody who may happen to read it.
Not guessing anything - Are very, very few GPU which are well air cooled from the start because of the points I mention above and some more points I will mention bellow - all have an ill effect on how well a GPU is cooled but, those factors can be avoided only if manufacturers change their ways.
Are many other factors - too small radiators or just not enough fins
-bad design PCs
- not enough textolite in the PCB or not at all
- cheap PCB even on expensive cards like 4090, easy to twist or bend again because lack of textolite a very thin layers.
Try to brake a PCB with enough textolite in it with your bare hands :)
- Factory OC cards which doesn't have proper rad or fans not even for standard frequencies
-lack of thermal pads between back plate and GPU PCB
- radiator plate covering only half of the memory chips - see Asus
- Quality checks non-existent
My question is not stupid and wasn't addressed to you. That's the reason they pulled out lead out of the soldering - lead is not eco. Well, more electronics will brake faster without lead elasticity in the soldering- therefore is not eco, not even remotely. Is just plain stupid and counterproductive.

Last edited:

Not guessing anything - Are very, very few GPU which are well air cooled from the start because of the points I mention above and some more points I will mention bellow - all have an ill effect on how well a GPU is cooled but, those factors can be avoided only if manufacturers change their ways.
Are many other factors - too small radiators or just not enough fins
-bad design PCs
- not enough textolite in the PCB or not at all
- cheap PCB even on expensive cards like 4090, easy to twist or bend
- Factory OC cards which doesn't have proper rad or fans not even for standard frequencies
-lack of thermal pads between back plate and GPU PCB
- radiator plate covering only half of the memory chips - see Asus
- Quality checks non-existent
My question is not stupid and wasn't addressed to you. That's the reason they pulled out lead out of the soldering - lead is not eco. Well, more electronics will brake faster without lead elasticity in the soldering- therefore is not eco, not even remotely. Is just plain stupid and counterproductive.

Maybe we understood each other wrong - by your question I meant asking me to define well cooled card. You make things complicated when models of the same GPU simply differ with cooling solutions - temperatures components get and noise fans make then. Simple as that and no point talking about what you say - going into details of how it happens or what is the cause.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Interesting. I could try would this help also with my watercooled 3080. Or with my aircooled 6700 XT.
Zalman used to make a dual heatsink heatpipe unit for GPUs which sandwiched the gpu, and used a small fan,

Everyone comes from different walks of life, some don't deserve the funds they have, some do, or may not have the same knowledge we do. For this op it helped him and others have done it for years on end.

A Sapphire Nitro Costs considerably more than the same Blower fan AsRock Card would...

Maybe we understood each other wrong - by your question I meant asking me to define well cooled card. You make things complicated when models of the same GPU simply differ with cooling solutions - temperatures components get and noise fans make then. Simple as that and no point talking about what you say - going into details of how it happens or what is the cause.
Maybe, I'm trying to say in a complicated way (but that is just me), that doesn't matter how much you pay for a card today, even if is an expensive one, they will still cut corners or add unnecessary materials which will obstruct or diminish the cooling. Those unnecessary materials will add to the cost and consume more resources in order to be applied to that particular design. So basically now days a well cooled card might be just a far fetched concept or a lottery( ...oh they just left the plastic film on the thermal pads)

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Zalman used to make a dual heatsink heatpipe unit for GPUs which sandwiched the gpu, and used a small fan,
This?

1722716953028.jpeg

Me and many of my friends used the VF700 series' coolers on our cards in the mid-2000s

System Name HP Z400
Processor Intel Xeon X5687
Motherboard Z400 6 DIMM Version
Cooling Stock High Performance
Memory 6 x 4GB 1600MHz (Total 24GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - Patrion Burst 128GB - Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay 241i
Case HP Z400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Stock 475 Watt
Mouse Logitech M500 Corded
Keyboard HP KU-0316
Software Zorin OS PRO 16.3 / Fedora 38

ARF

Hello,

Hope the video and this post will help you guys decreasing temps on your GPU. Effort is minimal. In my case went 10 C lower just with a use of a 92mm fan.

I suggest the best fan for this application to be a 92 mm fan, as my test shows is better than the 120 mm fan , haven't tried and 80 mm yet.

My setup is 7600 Ryzen, GPU 1080 Ti EVGA, Lian Li OD 11 Dynamic XL.

If you have questions pls let me know.

Is the second test I've done on this particular mod, present driver 555.85 the earlier test was on 536 driver and on that was 8-9 C lower.

In the description of the video I posted results of a test in BF V with RPM reduced on GPU fans and back case exhaust fan for who is interested.

Fans used on my GPU are NF-B9 -redux x3 + 1 NF-A9 PWM

Thanks

Apply for a job at Sapphire, XFX or MSI.
Ask them why they keep sabotaging the coolers on the graphics cards, and why they don't use similar approaches to fix the high GPU temperatures... :kookoo::rolleyes: